Apple Store Visit Confirms: No Mac Exists

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by michaelrjohnson, Aug 9, 2006.

1. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Has anyone else noticed that there is currently no such computer as a "Mac"? The product line currently exists as follows:

Consumer:
    Mac mini, iMac, MacBook
    Professional:
    MacBook Pro, mac pro

Nowhere in the product lineup is there currently a computer marketed under the name of "Mac", a natural fit for their new naming convention. Some may suggest that the "medium-level" desktop machine exists already, that they just call it the iMac. Others may shrug that off saying that the iMac is no real comparison to a headless, flexible, upgradeable tower. What is your take?

Are the doors wide open for a headless, upgradeable (smaller) tower design from Apple (Paris, MWSF?), or is the iMac just not "in-sync" with their new naming convention?

Okay, it wasn't a press-release or anything, I just visited to get my facts straight.

2. LoveMacMini macrumors regular

i've been rallying for such a device for a long time.

doubtful it's going to happen, but really all i want is a mac mini with some competent onboard video and the ability to use 3.5 inch drives.

3. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Apple will never release a computer called the "Mac".

"I just got a new computer!"
    "Oh, really? What kind"
    "A Mac"
    "Wow, that's great! What kind of Mac?"
    "A Mac"
    "I know. What model?"
    "A Mac!"
    "You bought a Mac Mac?"
    "I guess I did."

On a similar note, GM announced a new model Chevrolet today...the Chevrolet.

4. triotary macrumors regular

:D :D :D :D :D :D

I just bought a Ford today!!!And I totally regretted it!

which Ford?

The ford!

Ya I know, but which one?

The Ford that always been crappy!!!

5. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

All those machines are Macs. They are just different kinds of Macs. Just like the 128K was a 'Mac' or the iBook was a 'Mac', etc.

6. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

That's very obvious.

-------------------

Their current naming scheme, however, would leave you to believe that the lineup is missing a "Mac". A "regular" Mac, that's neither mini nor Pro.

Mac mini
    [ ] <------- iMac or Mac?
    Mac Pro
    MacBook
    MacBook Pro

-------------------

That being said, I totally agree with topgunn, that the confusion that it would create since they started branding the commercials with " Mac".

7. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Oh, I see. Well on to next Tuesday then.

8. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

I always hated the name of the PlayStation 2.

"I've got a Playstation."
    "I have a Playstation, too."
    "Wow! Really? Can I play it?"
    "I guess, but it won't be much different than yours."
    "Why do you say that? I have a Playstation, you've got a Playstation2!"

9. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

very funny :) haha That's also on of the reasons why I hated newer versions that just add a 2 (playstation 2, call of duty 2, home alone 2, etc)

10. Mac Rules macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

What if its called the MacBook Pro II, the iMac II..... lol

It might be your worst nightmare!

Cheers

11. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I agree that there will never be a computer named Mac, and disagree that the lineup is left "wide open" for such a computer. Mac represents the umbrella that holds all of Apple's computers, and therefore cannot represent just one.

12. FullmetalZ26 macrumors regular

While a machine simply called "the Mac" wouldn't necessarily make much sense, having a midrange tower machine in the lineup would be really nice. The iMac is all well and good for the 'decent all-around four year throwaway' type of machine, and the Dual-core mini is a capable machine, but I don't want to pay for an LCD that will be useless to me in 4 years, and expansion for the mini is a joke. I have a G4 mini right now, and I've done all that I can to it short of upgrading the hard drive. That's right, I maxed out the memory. And it's a great machine, but I'd rather be stuffing a mid-tower with hard drives instead of adding firewire enclosure after firewire enclosure to my desk. Just one extra model, Apple, please. Maybe a 2/3rds scale Mac Pro case with just one processor, one optical drive, less base configured memory, and a decent, but not expensive, integrated but dedicated graphics card. It doesn't even have to be a Core 2 Duo, provided the processor's not soldered and I can upgrade it myself. Then build it to around $1200-1600, depending on the configuration. That's all I ask.

13. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

14. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

...are you serious?

15. macaddicted macrumors regular

macaddicted

Actually I don't think there has ever been a "Mac", and AFAIK the only "Macintosh" was the original 128K.

16. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

I think if they were to do this it would probably end up with a fairly uninspiring name like "Mac Standard" or something. I think we're safe, though, because as much as we want it, Apple doesn't seem to want to give us a machine like that. :(

On an unrelated note, my first car was a 1991 Toyota Truck. And yes, 'truck' was the actual model name - they didn't have a special name for it like "Tacoma" or anything. The naming department was really on the ball when they rolled that bad boy out. :rolleyes:

17. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I'm confused. When the hell did anyone (from Apple) say that there would be a Mac named "Mac" released?

18. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

By that logic Apple will also have to release a software program called just "Logic" and just "FinalCut" Since they have an Express and Pro version. I realized there is Garageband and iMovie...but the names aren't the same so they must release a new app with the name to keep consistent!!

I do agree that there is room for a mid range headless Mac but the product line itself suggests that not the naming convention.

19. JAT macrumors 603

This is a user forum on a rumor site. Not all discussions stem from Apple employee commentary.

20. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I'm leaning towards "Mac Regular" myself... :D

21. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

22. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Mac Plus sounds good to me, or maybe the gMac (for games)?

23. SteveRichardson macrumors regular

SteveRichardson

hahaha for games

that's classic. v. v. v. funny.

24. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Can you imagine the insults for that...

"I've got a new gMac."
    "Haha, you're gay you bought a gayMac."
    *:rolleyes:*

But yes, I like the idea of a small tower, although I see it killing Mac Pro sales.

I think that if they made the Mini a bit bigger, they could put a 1.86 GHz Conroe in (which is cheaper than a Core Solo, with much better performance), a 3.5" Hard Drive (more storage for less money) and a GMA X3000, then added a single Woodcrest option to the Mac Pro, it would eliminate the need for a mid-range Mac.

25. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom