Apple Store vs Catalog

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mac2004, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Mac2004 macrumors regular

Mar 17, 2004
    I plan on ordering a new PowerMac G5 when they are released but I have a few questions.......

1. Which G5 should I order for word processing, email, internet, photos, expandability, etc.?

2. Who do I purchase the new G5 from?

Mac Connection catalog (no sales tax)
    Mac Mall catalog (no sales tax)
    Apple Store (in shopping mall) (online)
    Comp USA

3. What other add ons should I get?

More memory
    Airport card

Please help me with this buying decision!! My email address is if you want to e-mail me.
  2. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    1. You don't need a G5 for your stated uses... Howver, it's your money. You could go with the most affordable one, perhaps splurge on the display?

2. Look at the "freebies" from the catalogs, if they entice you, go with that. If not, and you're a student, just order from Apple with your educational discount.

3. a) you'll always want more RAM
    b) is wireless networking a necessity for your setup's situation, if not, just plug it in.
    c) splurge on your monitor... afterall, it *is* what you look at...
    d) place AppleCare and Software last on your list.
  3. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Apr 10, 2003
    The "Garden" state
    1.8 should be fine for wp, web surfing etc.

are you a student? if so, the apple store will get you an edu discount.
    otherwise, look for a good deal from macmall et al see if something better comes up.
    memory good. very good.
    software, that depends on what you need. if you have more specific interests, do a search here, and see what people have talked about in the past.
    good luck.
  4. adamjay macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2004
    if you are buying a G5, i say go with the catalog's or

the lack of sales tax (which, on a high end G5 could run upwards of $200 for tax alone) is a big bonus.

for your uses, any low end G5 will be fine.
    but you may want to wait 3 weeks for what will probably be G5 revisions, and you may get a faster G5 for the same price.

depending on how much you want in expandibility - an eMac or iMac would suit your needs if you don't want to play the latest greatest high end first person shooter games. word processing, internet, email, photos... are all consumer-level activities, and any currently available G4 would plow through those tasks just fine.