apple store wait times...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by el_grapadora, Jan 23, 2004.

1. el_grapadora macrumors newbie

el_grapadora

first off, i'm a new convert. a couple years ago, i was sure you guys were the spawn of the DEVIL. but now i've been convinced otherwise ;)

ok, so i'm getting a new ibook G4/14"/933 for my first mac purchase, but i'm getting a little impatient with my order. i was about to order from the apple store online over the weekend, but i had to make sure i had the cash to shell out first. :D at the time, the base system (along with an airport extreme) was supposed to ship in 1-3 days.

when i finally ordered tuesday using an educational discount, and it suddenly decided it would ship in 5-7 days (by the 29th). it seems like an awfully long time for a single custom feature. i read somewhere that apple actually does a pretty extensive check for the ed discount. is that what's taking so long...or am i just being an impatient twit? :rolleyes: just wondering what your experiences with the apple store are like.

thanks,
    El G

PS--if i am just an impatient twit, blame it on that silly overnight delivery at barnes & noble. ;)

2. Lincoln macrumors regular

Lincoln

Granted that you live in the US and I live in the UK, and I phoned the Apple Store. However, when I purchased my Powerbook my check consisted of asking which College I went to and where was the college located.

I'm sure that the "checks" are the same, I also got a greater discount than shown on the Education Online Store.

I have also heard that they don't check every single educational purchase, I suppose there may be some unlucky ones who are, but I don't know what the criteria is.

I think that you just ordered at the wrong time when inventory may be low or there are a large number of orders for the 14" ibook.

Finally, the best of luck with your purchase (when it eventually arrives!)

3. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

I think you're moving into the realm of a custom machine. I noticed the same thing when I was looking at machines.

I just checked and if you pick the standard machine (ie no airport/no anything) it ships same business day.

I noticed that on my machine the BT option throws it into a custom machine. Does that mean for every order of BT they open the machine and solder in the antenna? Seems like a poor way to do things. I'd assume they have boxes of these things with BT and without. I figured I could add the airport myself if that was the custom part.

4. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

i have ordered 2 ibooks in past 5 months..and both wr custom made...my experience is they ship much sooner than what they say..like he told me that it wd take 3 days to get the order processed..and then 5-6 days for the shipment to arrive...so total like 8-9 days...well it arrived in just 4 days..:)
    and it shipped from taiwan!!!!
    so best of luck

5. Omad0n macrumors regular

Yeah it's not them checking on you being a student. It's the custom order, cause every time I get somethign with edu from them at a storwe they pretty much just look at my college id and photocopy it.

6. solitarycow macrumors member

I ordered my PB on the 19th (after my past 2 orders had been mysteriously cancelled TWICE!!!) and it's not going to ship until Jan 29...or so the website says. What are the chances of getting the revised PB IF it actually does release?

7. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I think the standard configs are stocked locally and the BTO's are shipped from Taiwan.

8. Icekey macrumors member

But if you order a 1x512mb RAM instead of the 2x256mb, why is it considered CTO?

9. solitarycow macrumors member

Ooook I'm confused, now.

What the heck does BTO and CTO all mean???

10. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

BTO = build to order..
    CTO = ummm.. customized to order..not sure

11. solitarycow macrumors member

lol...I don't see much of a difference!

12. el_grapadora thread starter macrumors newbie

el_grapadora

follow up

finally got the ibook g4 on thursday at 9.44a, and immediately took it on the road thursday, and again for an overnighter friday-saturday. the battery life is OUTSTANDING, and the performance is much better than i expected. my old dell of similar MHz couldn't do half the things this little computer can do.

thanks for the encouraging words, guys. i hope to be more than a lurker in the future.

~el_G

13. Profoss macrumors newbie

I am still awaiting mine ibook 12", ordered it 29. and it's still order processing.....