Apple Store woes

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by carman63, Oct 27, 2006.

1. carman63 macrumors regular

Oct 27, 2006
    Hi all, first time poster short time lurker :)

I have been watching the refurbished section of the Apple Store, looking for a 24" iMac. I frist saw some a few weeks ago, but wasn't fast enough on making a decision. This morning, at 6:00AM Eastern time, I saw that there were 24" iMacs on the refurb site. So I went for it!

I decided to split the payment across 2 credit cards. All went well, until the time last page of the 'processing' part. There I was greeted with "Please correct the items in red, and click 'Continue'." Problem is, there was NOTHING in red to correct! So I clicked 'Continue'. And I got the 'please correct the red stuff' dialog again. With nothing to correct.

I did this a couple of times, to no avail. So I called Apple to ask for help. Nobody home, not for 3 more hours.
    So, at 9:00AM, I call Apple. They can't explain it, can't see any orders pending for me. So I call my bank.
    They show that Apple did do a pre-authorization for the amount I specified, for one card. But nothing else.
    And oh, by the way, they are now OUT of refurb'd 24" iMacs. :p

Just wondering if this has been typical of late, or did I just get "lucky"?

2. animenick65 macrumors 6502

Sep 17, 2006
    Someone was probably ordering one at the same time! Thats quite the coincidence if somone ordered the last one they had at the same time. The deals in the refurb dept. right now are serious so i'm sure they have been selling out on a lot of things.
  3. crees! macrumors 68000

Jun 14, 2003
    Paying with 2 credit cards? Don't break the bank now :)

On topic, I didn't know you could span cards like that online. Thought there was just a form that accepted 1 card.
  4. extraextra macrumors 68000

Jun 29, 2006
    You probably shouldn't split it across 2 credit cards is what I have to offer. It just creates a mess, usually!
  5. carman63 thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 27, 2006
    I wanted to take advantage of the Apple '90 days' offer, but I usually pay 1/2 cash (i.e., debit card). Well, doing that 2-3 times locks up the Apple credit (since it's a Master Card) until the authorization falls off.

That being said, the check-out process is what hung up on me. The fact that it 'said' I had an error but showed me nothing that needed correction, is what befuddled me. :confused: