Apple Store worth the extra $$ ???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jamshark70, Nov 25, 2004.

1. jamshark70 macrumors newbie

Oct 12, 2004
    The other day I went to the Apple Store near my office to ask what kind of deal they could give me to compare with MacMall's free 512MB RAM (I'm looking at a 12" pb). Naturally they can't do that, but they said you can't use the genius bar if you buy from someone else.

I had never heard that before... is that true?

I did use the genius bar once before, but I got my current computer from Apple's online store.

Or, can I use the 512MB chip from by G3 iBook in a new pb? Probably not, but it would save me some cash.

2. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Definitely can't use the RAM from the older one. As for the Genius Bar, you're still covered under AppleCare. What they meant is that the RAM wouldn't be covered by AppleCare, so if you have a problem with your computer, and it ends up being the RAM, they won't fix it for you.
  3. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    but macmall will

is that 512MB total or extra?

if it's extra go for it if it's just a 256MB stick it's not suck a big deal
  4. jamshark70 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 12, 2004
    OK, so warranty coverage would be OK as well as AppleCare (if I go ahead and purchase it, which I didn't before and I was lucky but who knows...). Thanks for the clarification.

MacMall says additional 512MB free, so I think I'll go for that one then.

Thanks for the advice!
  5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    A Rebate...

The old pay them $39.99 (plus the current cost of the memory) for the CHANCE at a $119 rebate deal.

Hopefully actually MacMall sends the rebate. ;)

Sort of nice to know that everything touted as free, is actually a rebate -- including shipping. :p