Apple Store?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Every Day, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Every Day macrumors newbie

I am considering ordering a new mac from the online Apple store, but I'm kinda weary about how well they protect it from all the stacking and tumbeling that may happen during shipment.

Is it safe? I've seen a few posts before about people who order their mac online and aren't satisfied when it arrives. One guy talked about how his iMac made "buzzing" noises and was missing screws.

Also, I had one more question. It appears that I can use an AirPort base station as an all-in-one cable modem and wireless router. Can the smaller AirPort Express do the same thing?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Apple's packaging protects the computers very well. But there are always things that can happen...I wouldn't worry about it. Chances are it will come through fine. On the slim chance that it doesn't, Apple will take care of it.

Neither the AirPort Extreme nor AirPort Express can act as a cable modem. You will need a regular cable modem that you then connect to whichever AirPort product you choose via Ethernet.

3. Every Day thread starter macrumors newbie

The reason I'm worried is because I just read this "agreement" you must accept before customizing your mac. (By customized, I assume it having selected upgrades such as RAM or GPU.)

Return Policy
    Please note that Apple only permits the return of unopened, non-customized product within 10 days of receipt. Apple does not permit the return of the following products:

1. Product that is custom-configured to your specifications
    2. Opened memory
    3. Opened software

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Right...you can't just return custom-built machines. But they'll certainly fix anything that might be wrong with it upon receipt.

5. Every Day thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I misunderstood... thinking once they ship it out, it's your problem no matter what might be wrong with it. Thanks for the info.

6. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

From what I've read over on the hardware board, buying the Mac directly from an Apple Store in person makes for a much speedier return should the need occure.

Myself, I've never been to an Apple Store since there isn't one for like 300 miles from here. To me, that's a big plus since that way I don't know what I'm missing. I'm writing this on a PowerBook G4, and as far as I know ... it's state of the art. :p