Apple Stores in CA: 25... 14 state area: 0

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Xapplimatic, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Xapplimatic macrumors 6502

Oct 23, 2001
    OK, Apple's seems to be maintaining a nearly 1:1 investment in terms of Apple stores in California versus how many states.. currently the ratio stands at 25:29... So now with more than half the states having at least 1 Apple store, how long before there's one in every state of the US? Perhaps by the time each state and every Canadian province has at least one, with the last being probably in one of the Dakotas (Fargo?), some parts of Southern and Northern California will have an Apple store in several zipcodes of the same city. Oh, I forgot, that's already the case in four cities (LA, San Diego, Palo Alto, and San Francisco). A little bit biased in store concentration I would say (this coming from a Californian).. but particularly biased in Northern Cali.. (Inland Area So Cal comparatively only has one store, but far manu more residents spread over a much larger area in two counties served by it than say a city like Palo Alto which has two stores).. and then there are entire states like Rhode Island which have not a single store....

.. Critical of Apple's store construction schedule here .. It seems they are marketted not towards customer convenience and population distribution, but towards affluency and wealth concentration... While I'm sure this isn't a unique goal of chain stores, it's particularly irksome when it comes to a chain in its infancy where there is such heavily imbalanced distribution of stores that even an area of fourteen states (all 'touching' other states in the group) comprising Alabama, Arkansas, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oaklahoma, South Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming have not one single store... and this comprises an area of land over seven times the size of California (at 1094395.12 square miles of land versus 155,959.34).. So please, someone explain why tens of millions of people across these states don't have an Apple store.. And yes, there are entire provinces in Canada, Alaska, and many states on the east side as well that don't have stores and face stiff traffic or long distances to reach one I realize, but in America, the interior west half is terribly underserved compared to the coastal states, or not served at all in fact.

Oh yeah, my "local" Apple store in California (one county away which is lucky by current standards in other parts o' the planet) said, they go by how many people drive in from what zip codes to determine future stores, but please, who's gonna drive through 2 states from Montana to get to one in Washington or Minnesota? (Well, some would, but please!).. COMP-LoseSA here we come again... Course people can order by internet, but hopefully they don't have to buy a PC to do it from first! (The whole point of having a brick and morter store!)

Lovin the Apple Store... but I don't think the geographic distribution is very fair.. It favors the wealthier areas only.. Sure I don't expect massive investment in Cambodia but please, even in California there are larger areas well populated and not necessarily cash-strapped which are greater than an hours distance from any Apple stores while some areas of California have two or three in the same area within 5-10 miles apart...
  2. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Aug 27, 2003
    This is probably because Apple wants their stores to give off an image of Apple as a luxury brand. It's not a way to get business and serve their customers well, but it sure seems a good way to get profit. I know it sucks for people who don't have an Apple Store nearby, but hey, that's what buying over the Internet is for.

I personally haven't gone to an Apple Store yet. Maybe when I don't go to the university bookstore to purchase all my Apple gear, I will go. I don't think you're missing much, really. I've seen pictures of the stores, and they don't put much in there :)
  3. Kushiro macrumors member

Mar 26, 2005
    Genève, Suisse

I agree that the distribution is uneven and makes it tough on a lot of people, but I always figured that it was more an issue of population/population density than just the size of the area or the economic status of the area (well, I'm sure the economy plays it's role, too, but....).

Broken down by state population (approximately, and using numbers from 2000)
    Alabama 4.4 mil
    Arkansas 2.7 mil
    Idaho 1.2 mil
    Kansas 2.6 mil
    Louisiana 4.4 mil
    Mississippi 2.8 mil
    Montana 0.9 mil
    Nebraska 1.7 mil
    New Mexico 1.8 mil
    North Dakota 0.6 mil
    Oklahoma 3.4 mil
    South Dakota 0.7 mil
    Utah 2.2 mil
    Wyoming 0.4 mil

TOTAL: 29.8 mil

While California has a population of 33.8 million (35.9 million in 2004), centered mostly in the SF bay and the greater LA area.
    In fact, between San Francisco, San Jose and the surrounding communities, the SF bay area has a population of about 7 mil people, while LA county (not the entire Inland Empire) has a population of over 9 million, both of which are larger than any of the states above, and all within a few hours drive (well, maybe not during rush hour in LA, but you know what I mean!).

It seems to me it's not entirely a question of wealth, but rather an issue of placing stores where the most people will have access to/use them. I mean, you could put an apple store in Kansas or Missouri, which would break up the big chunk of states you indicated, but would a person in Southern Mississippi or Western Montana be any more likely to visit a store in Kansas or Missouri than one in California (or Washington, in the case of Monana)? Probably not.

Just my two cents :)
  4. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2002
    And that's not the worst of it. At one of the three Apple stores in Southern California you have to walk more than a block to get to the nearest Starbucks.

And sometimes it rains.