Apple stores in LA?

Discussion in 'Community' started by katie ta achoo, Aug 1, 2005.

1. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

OK, my dad and I are flying to LA driving to SF, bla bla bla bla yada yada yada.

I'm going to limit myself to visiting ONE apple store in LA, so I ask you: which one is the more fantastical one I should visit that will make me dislike the small Houston Galleria one even more.
    Which is fantasmatastic? Which is the biggest?
    Is there anything else in LA I should see before we leave that city?
    Anything awesome we should see/do/eat/hear?

And baha, I'm gonna somehow get him to nearly EVERY apple store in the SF/Palo Alto/Cupertino area, so that's not a problem, haha! :D :D

Long post short:
    Which LA apple store rocks hardest?
    and
    what to do in LA before I leave it?

2. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Haven't been to an apple store in LA so i couldn't really advise you in that area.

The Palo alto store is pretty small... although most of the apple stores are. Steve Jobs lives down in Palo Alto... in fact he lived just a few blocks from my old house :cool:

well its probably just one of his houses:rolleyes:

keep a lookout for him... my friends have seem him walking around town with an iPod on (of course)

the X Games are in LA this year. Actually just drove by it today. They start Thursday i believe. So thats pretty cool to see if you enjoy those types of sports.

Anyways.. have a great time :)

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...perhaps tell us what kind of stuff you (and your dad) are interested in and how much time in L.A. you have...then we can give better ideas as to how to best use your time there...there is *so* much to see and do in that part of the country depending on your interests...oh yeah!

4. katie ta achoo thread starter macrumors G3

Not much time, an hour, two hours MAX. We'll be rushing, because it's a friggin 6-hour drive.

Erm. I'm an apple nut, he's a neurobiologist who loves to do vermiculture. (oh lord, we have a WORM FARM in our backyard.. seriously. Ew.)
    He likes farmers markets and not talking to anyone. (he goes into work on national holidays to avoid people, haha)

Both of us will do anything new, we're pretty open.

So umm... anything you like to do?
    I know that duff-man knows how to party, :)

5. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

From the Bay Area to L.A., right? Which highway will you be taking? If you want to get there as fast as possible take Highway 5, but be warned it's about 200 miles of open fields, a highway that goes straight and you go through about 10 horizons before you see the GrapeVine :D, then have fun on the L.A. freeways ;) This route should take 6-8 hours depending on speed (speed limit is 70 MPH). If you want a more scenic route take Highway 1, however it won't be as fast.

Not sure if that's what you meant and it's sorta trivial, but you said you don't have much time so I figure you could safe all the time you can :)

While in the Bay Area don't forget about the Stoneridge and Valley Fair, theoneonlyjoey, who's a member here works there (at Valley Fair Apple Store). What days will you be in Northern California?

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

When you say LA, where exactly to you mean? Los Angeles County is a big, big place. Apple has eight stores there now. I've been to four: Glendale, Pasadena, Santa Monica, and the Grove in Los Angeles. Of those, probably the Grove is the largest. If you go there, make sure you also visit the Farmer's Market, which is right next door, for a little taste of "old LA." Pasadena is also good if you like walking the downtown, which is always lively, and the Santa Monica store is just a few steps from the beach and pier. If you decide to drive north along the coast from LAX, Santa Monica is on the way.

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...a couple hours...hmm...that basically covers being stuck in traffic (maybe not even that...)...if that is really all the time you have then I would basically forget about L.A. and instead try and enjoy the drive north - use the extra time to drive the Pacific Coast Highway north to S.F. and stop a couple times to enjoy the great views and scenery...and a bite to eat in Santa Barbara on the way....oh yeah!

8. katie ta achoo thread starter macrumors G3

Nearish LAX. Sorry, I forgot about how big LA is. I'm a doofus.

TECH4ALL- bah, my dad wants to take hwy 1 the whole way up. he said he'd like me drive for part of it, and depending on if I see cops or not, I'm just gonna OPEN THE CAR UP, you know? I'm gonna look at google maps and see if there's some weird way of getting there that lets him take hwy 1 for a while , but doesn't take forever. I'm gonna be in northern cali Friday 5th-8th.

DUFFMAN- Mmmm... food in Santa Barbara.. oh ya! :p (sry, couldn't resist. Hehe)

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I'd vote for Santa Monica - the one on 3rd Street Promenade is an interesting way to go, nice walk through there (you can only walk on that street, and there's always something going on) but if you are limited on time, I don't know if that one will be the perfect one to visit. plan on things always taking longer than expected in LA ;)
    (I love LA, it's always going to be "home" to me, I miss it terribly) you lucky lucky girl!

10. katie ta achoo thread starter macrumors G3

h'ok, Santa Monica it is!

But the stores open so late (10 AM?! I know y'all are in a different time zone, but 10 AM? Bla!) I might have to just look through the windows. I know I love getting my face print on glass! haha :)

Does LA rush hour start at 8 AM and end at 10 AM, like Houston's? How exactly bad IS LA traffic. We're both Texas drivers.. we know how to maneuver through a traffic jam *insert strange laughter here*
    It's one of a Houstonian's super-Powers.
    That and being able to breathe the air and not have our lungs collapse due to pollution. :p

11. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

LA Traffic starts around 6:45 am on the 405 and continues until about 11am, you get a small hour ish break then a lunch crowd starts and subsides around 2pm, around 3:30-3:45pm the traffic starts to pick up again and it stays until about 7:30-7:45pm. This holds especially true at the 405/10 interchange, the 405/105 interchange, and on the 110 in and out of downtown.

You could always use sepulveda and then break off to lincoln and take the flat streets in to Santa Monica, youll pass thru Marina Del Rey and Venice then Santa Monica, its a ok drive but there will be traffic on either of those roads too.

Good Luck and enjoy playing in traffic :p

Ed

12. katie ta achoo thread starter macrumors G3

sounds like houston.
    :p
    Either way, I'll have an awesome time, even if I'm only looking at the Apple store from the car.

13. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Ed H is right, but i wouldn't take surface streets unless you have good directions or are at least sort of familiar with the area, it's easy to get lost in LA, and it's just not a fun place to be lost in. it takes only minutes to get from a decent area to really awful areas, and i'd hate to hear of you getting freaked out by it. mostly it's not so bad (got turned around right into South Central LA [Compton] myself, but it was not *that bad* people over-exaggerate the "danger" factor there I think.) a few of my friends got lost and went near panic though, citing something like feeling they were in the movie "Falling Down" [haha]
    but anyway, just to keep things simple be sure you don't get turned all around.
    the store hours: well, it's better not to be driving around in the earlier hours of the morning anyway, traffic in Santa Monica sucks sometimes, but 10 is not THAT late [scratches head]

well, i hope you have fun, take pictures :D

14. katie ta achoo thread starter macrumors G3

I'm used to everything opening at 9!
    Heck, my dollar store opens at 8 AM.

And also in my head, I have 10 AM LA time = noon KT time, so it'll feel really late, haha.

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

yeah, that makes sense... so weird to travel from east to west... it's like going "back in time" with the timezones.

i wonder if it's somewhat late opening is a result of that street's functions... it is active at night every bit as much, if not more, than during the day. it seems to stay open fairly late too. hmmm...

i hope you have fun, 3rd street promenade is pretty cool and i just had a hunch you'd like it there.