Apple stores in the UK

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by gangst, Mar 2, 2005.

1. gangst macrumors 6502a

I can remeber Steve Jobs saying at MacWorld in Tanuary that the Apple Store on Regent Street in England made the biggest profit. So I thought that would mean that other Apple store would follow quickly, but the other day I logged on to see that Apple had opened ANOTHER store in Japan, where sales are pretty useless, and they don't even have an ITMS. Anyone have any ideas as to Apple Stores in the UK, and where they would be?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

There's going to be one in Bluewater shopping centre (Kent), and another somewhere else, can't remember where though...Birmingham?

edit: Yes, Birmingham.

3. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

....and I think they've already hired for the Bluewater store, so it can't be far off.

4. gangst thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hope they are building one in Blouewater as that is right near my house, where did you hear that they were building a store at Bluewater?

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That link goes to an article about both.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    ifoapplestore is reporting a Grand Opening date of 9 April 2005 for the Birmingham Bullring store.

And that Bluewater (from the Bluewater website) is next to the White Shop/Toni & Guy in the Upper Guild Hall. Which I think means it's on the stretch between John Lewis and House of Fraser near the upstairs Starbucks and across from Habitat and Waterstones... or thereabouts,

7. Mr Jobs macrumors regular

8. john_satc macrumors 6502

omg i just found this post and i really hope its the 9th 'cos thats this saturday!!! i am going to be in town from 9am if its true! i want to be in there as soon as possible!

9. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Wasn't there a rumour of a Manchester Apple store as well?

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

That's the only place I've seen a 9 April date though and I suspect we'd have heard through more official channels more recently if it was true.

I'm fairly sure the other timeframe I saw was mid-May which might seem more likely. I think Bluewater was similar. The 'hiring' link for both has disappeared from the Apple site to be replaced with no mention at all of them!

11. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

Just had a trawl around and there's nothing about the Bullring store opening this Saturday. Bullring website just has "tba" under the entry for Apple. I'm sure they'd put some details on once its all finalised. I hope its not as crazy as the London store opening. I'd like to go, but I'm too old to queue all night!

12. john_satc macrumors 6502

I have emailed Bull Ring myself, probably won't get a response but I can hope.
    I doubt the Bull Ring store would allow anyone in overnight. It gets locked up about 11pm ( I have been kicked out with mates beforea t 11pm) so I am presuming they won't open up early for this. Bull Ring has a lot of security for fear of terrorism etc (I worked there...for one day (how shameful!)). Anyway, I'll be there from when it opens if its true - probably turn up at 9am saturday wether I hear or not - but if it doesn't open then that means I have to wait in town 3 hours till I have to go to work with no money.
    Anyone else thinking about going?
    Oh and one last question - do you think they will sell they 'goody bags' there - and what could I expect to find in one?
    Thanks, jon

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

BullRing website is very slow at updates so don't hold your breath for an email. You might get a better response calling them - the bullring webcam is still showing the store having its black plywood up and I think it would be down by now.

Virtually no chance of a lucky bag. They were only done in Japan where Lucky Bags were traditional and for the two flagships in San Francisco/London. None of the other smaller Apple stores have had them - you should get a T-shirt though! ;)

14. john_satc macrumors 6502

Yep those wood boards have been up for over a month. Before that there were two glass doors with frosted glass and apple logos.
    I am guessing maybe if the store opens this saturday they will be taken down over frida maybe ?

Probs a good thing if there arnt good bags (for me!) 'cos I don't have the money for one anyway! but t-shirt would be nice :) now I have to think of something really cheap the day it opens...the cheapest thing possible as just spent all money on wireless mouse,keyboard and BT module.....nooo!

15. iLaw macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I'm new. I registered to give you some information about the Bluewater store but I may as-well stick around.

The location of the store has already been stated in the thread but just to clarify. It will be opposite Habitat, near House of Fraser. I've been told that the store is going to open late June or early July but I don't have a exact date.

16. fedora macrumors member

Yes i think june or july is right because there are still alot of jobs on apple's website for the new store, I would love to apply since i only live like a 10 minute drive away (gravesend) but i'm only 17.

17. iLaw macrumors newbie

I think you can apply. I know someone who used to work in the Regents Street store who is 17.

18. john_satc macrumors 6502

Right, well, suprisingly I got a quick reply of the Bull Ring customer care -

Hi

Thank you for your e-mail we haven't got an official opening date as yet
    for the apple store, although they are hoping for completion around the
    end of April.

Regards

Customer Services

TBH, I am not sure if i believe this - Apple will have given an opening date by now, not leave it this late. Either they know and can't say , or really don't know and then I would guess the store will not open this saturday or monday coming.

19. john_satc macrumors 6502

*bump*

any1 else have info on a possible 9 April (tomorrow!) opening, or planning on going?

20. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Apple have tradionally made a big thing of store openings. They tend to announce weeks in advance. As far as I am aware the Bluewater store is the next UK store to open and it's not open yet (or even a date announced).

21. gadget-uk macrumors newbie

There is an Apple store already in the Birmingham Pallasades (New St Station). I walk past it every day. Is it an unofficial store? It has all the proper Apple branding so it looks authentic to me.

If it's a franchise thing I bet they'll be supremely hacked off - thier business is about to be wiped out by an official store a few hundred yards away. MicroAnvika have a store in Selfridges as well - I bet they won't be too impressed.

22. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's not run by Apple. It's an Apple Centre most likely. Basically an authorised reseller but a bit better.

23. john_satc macrumors 6502

Yes the store is run by KRCS an official apple centre. It is a great store for discounts (I have a discount sheet downloaded if anyone wants it) for students and often does offers - like i got £15 back when i bought wireless keboard & mouse and bluetooth together.

anyway, i shop at KRCS for extra stuff - like the mouse- and at selfridges& co. for big stuff - ipod and iBook - but they don't do a student discount
    i think the KRCS will probably shut by micro will stay open as they sell PC computer stuff aswell

24. link92 macrumors 6502