Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning to introduce new co-designed packaging for many of the third-party accessories that it sells in its stores, according to retail store information shared by 9to5Mac. Apple has reportedly been working with several third-party accessory manufacturers on packaging design, helping to create a new look for boxes to better fit in with the packaging that's used for Apple's own products.

Companies participating in Apple's revamped packaging efforts include Tech21, Sena, Incase, Mophie, Logitech, and Life Proof. When these products are sold in Apple Stores, they'll be sold with simple, no-frills white boxes with minimal labeling as seen in photos.

applenewpackaging.jpg
According to the memo, the packaging will be mostly white to match the Mac, iPhone, and Apple Watch boxes, while they will also include simpler fonts, new photography, higher-quality materials, and more consistent compatibility labeling. This shift is yet another in a string for third-parties that has included new environmental guidelines and a ban on leveraging early iPhone leaks.
Apple's new head of retail, Angela Ahrendts, has been working to revamp the Apple Store experience in recent months, streamlining the purchasing process and reimagining both product discovery and customer-employee interactions. The packaging redesign is part of a larger effort to overhaul Apple's in-store accessory lineup, limiting the number of products that are sold for a more refined look.

News of the revamped packaging was first shared by Mac Otakara [Google Translate] in June, and a sneak preview of what the accessory sections of Apple's retail stores might look like can be seen at the company's Upper East Side store in New York.

uppereastsidestore.jpg
Apple's Upper East Side store, image via Mark Lennihan, Associated Press​

Apple Store accessory sections are expected to begin seeing changes starting next week, which is when the new packaging will be introduced.

Article Link: Apple Retail Stores to Offer Third-Party Accessories in New Apple-Style Packaging

Last edited:

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
So now it'll be easier for customers to mistakenly pick a non apple product.

Slow hand clap for the genius behind this idea

"So now it'll be easier for customers to mistakenly pick a non apple product." ---> So now it'll be easier for me to mistakenly pick a non apple product.

I think most people who can read and deduce what's inside the box from the photograph on the outside of the box will not have any trouble.

sss4r

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
This sounds only cosmetic and therefore inconsequential. Now, if they can assist vendors to make more efficient packaging using less materials, more recycling, etc., then that would be worthwhile. "New environmental guidelines" sounds promising. But "less labeling" only gives the consumer less information with which to make an informed buying decision. Minimal labeling makes sense for Apple products, it does not make sense for the countless third party accessories on the market.

sss4r

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
I think most people who can read and deduce what's inside the box from the photograph on the outside of the box will not have any trouble.

You grossly underestimate the stupidity of the average consumer. Besides, when people are in a hurry, mistakes happen. And you're talking about tech gadgets, you can hardly deduce everything about it from a mere picture. Specs matter.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Would I sound foolish for thinking that Apple retail stores have become almost too upmarket? I know, high standards are something that every company aspires for, but to me they're just so sterile and unfriendly (that applies to both the staff and the surroundings).

I'm from U.K - would love to hear others thoughts.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
You grossly underestimate the stupidity of the average consumer. Besides, when people are in a hurry, mistakes happen. And you're talking about tech gadgets, you can hardly deduce everything about it from a mere picture. Specs matter.

Got it. Your'e the only smart one in the room and everyone else is stupid.

So people in a hurry might pickup an $89 Logitech keyboard by mistake when they really wanted to purchase a set of headphones or Lightning cable?

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
"So now it'll be easier for customers to mistakenly pick a non apple product." ---> So now it'll be easier for me to mistakenly pick a non apple product.

Im glad you admitted you'll have problems as it adds to my point. I know a lot of parents and grandparents in the UK will too. Luckily i read evything so hopefully I won't make a mistake.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Would I sound foolish for thinking that Apple retail stores have become almost too upmarket? I know, high standards are something that every company aspires for, but to me they're just so sterile and unfriendly (that applies to both the staff and the surroundings).

I'm from U.K - would love to hear others thoughts.

I think they have become a lot like dixons etc with staff waiting to pounce on customers. I always thought the ideal was customers can have a play and do stuff on their own and not be pounched on a minute or two into the store like theyre being sold something.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Im glad you admitted you'll have problems as it adds to my point. I know a lot of parents and grandparents in the UK will too. Luckily i read evything so hopefully I won't make a mistake.

You seem confused. I corrected your quote ( "So now it'll be easier for customers to mistakenly pick a non apple product." ---> So now it'll be easier for me to mistakenly pick a non apple product. ) since I don't think you can speak for other people. Being able to read and interpret photographs on the box I'll have no problems.

sss4r

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
Cue the people who refuse to accept that marketing and design are important, yet are owners of multiple Apple products and don't realize the irony.

I don't know anyone who has ever said marketing and design are unimportant. Marketing and design are so different I don't understand grouping them. And I'd say marketing is mostly beneficial to the seller than to the buyer, since it's usually aimed at deception and hype. Also, we're talking about packaging here, not product.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
You seem confused. I corrected your quote since I don't think you can speak for other people. Being able to read and interpret photographs on the box I'll have no problems.

nope not confused. Maybe your labling / writing is the problem
see what I did there ;) haha

edit - I see you went back to edit your post so you don't look so stupid. Nice one. Not.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Why do all of the NY stores look so much classier than the LA ones. All we get is high ceilings and lots of glass.

Reactions: scott911

sss4r

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007

That's a ridiculous assumption. You need to do some research on marketing psychology.

So people in a hurry might pickup an $89 Logitech keyboard by mistake when they really wanted to purchase a set of headphones or Lightning cable?

That's a silly example. It would be more accurate to say they might accidentally buy the incorrectly sized case for their phone in a rushed errand. You're so focused on being defensive that you're not using your brain. I'm not sure why you're even bothering to argue against the fact that more information for the consumer equals a more informed buying decision.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK

Seriously he's right - when you deal with the general public on a daily basis you realise that you cant even over simply things to the point of patronising them. You can't patronise them, they're literally morons. If you think you've over explained something multiple ways, they'll still find a way not to understand it.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
nope not confused. Maybe your labling / writing is the problem
see what I did there ;) haha

No the problem is your assertion that others (other than yourself, of course) will have trouble reading a box and interpreting a photograph and walk out with a set of ear buds rather than an iPad keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.