Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phoenixx

Suspended
Jul 3, 2015
Personally, I think that rather than making the phones unusable, they would be far better using the restrictions features to ensure the phones broadcast their locations whenever used (using Find My Friends or similar). This way they could simply let local law enforcement agencies know where the phones are, and have those possessing them arrested.

They could also simply install an app on the iPhones that geographically locks them to the location of the Apple Store, make it impossible to remove using the restrictions feature, and have them sound a constant alarm if removed. They could even tether them using bluetooth.
[doublepost=1476583463][/doublepost]
It's good they can remotely disable them but why don't their stores have CCTV? Unless they're hidden?
No need for CCTV when every phone has two cameras built in. Why have a handful of cameras watching the story, when you can have dozens.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
so apple's theft deterrent is making the thief frustrated over his unusable stolen goods? liberal fantasy land

Burn them all, right? What's your very right wing point there?

Stolen iPhone = useless therefore people won't steal them. As I understand it the Mainboard / Screen and other parts become locked - even when placed in another device. It's not just a sim lock.
[doublepost=1476606219][/doublepost]
Personally, I think that rather than making the phones unusable, they would be far better using the restrictions features to ensure the phones broadcast their locations whenever used (using Find My Friends or similar). This way they could simply let local law enforcement agencies know where the phones are, and have those possessing them arrested.

They could also simply install an app on the iPhones that geographically locks them to the location of the Apple Store, make it impossible to remove using the restrictions feature, and have them sound a constant alarm if removed. They could even tether them using bluetooth.
[doublepost=1476583463][/doublepost]

Actually a very good idea. Who knows - That's exactly what might happen. The Store phones could easily have custom iOS with recording and connections. They wouldn't have to adhere to public iOS security as they are owned by the company.

If it leaves the store it cannot be turned off and broadcasts location and camera data. Why not. Apple give that man a job!

Last edited:

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I guess you missed the articles that come out after every phone release that estimate the component cost of each newly released phone. For example, here is a link to the iPhone 7's estimated component cost.

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/20/iphone-7-bill-of-materials-component-costs/

that's component cost, does not include R&D, creating tools to make these (ones that aren't outsourced), software development, marketing ...

Yeah, you could make one for 200$, after everything listed has been done for you. Component list is irrelevant for real profit margin calculation...

Reactions: deany

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
I guess you missed the articles that come out after every phone release that estimate the component cost of each newly released phone. For example, here is a link to the iPhone 7's estimated component cost.

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/20/iphone-7-bill-of-materials-component-costs/

not wanting to repeat myself, but anyway:

"However, the bill of materials does not factor in costs related to, among other things, research and development, software, licensing costs, and transportation. The accuracy of the component costs is also questionable. Last year, Apple CEO Tim Cook said he has never seen a cost breakdown that is "anywhere close to being accurate," adding that they are generally "much different than the reality."

Reactions: Ploki

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Good luck trying to steal those. You'll have a dead phone by nightfall.

if not before then. Apple has been not putting in sims for a while, even swapping out the sim trays for one that can't be easily removed. And they will likely have them under Find my iPhone or something similar where it can't be activated off site so they can remote kill it. And probably have the serial in their service system and not eligible for service. Perhaps even with a blacklist at the carriers. So it might be possible that the phone is basically already dead when its on the table and will be totally useless within a couple of hours if they have a system that polls the location and can zap it when it reads its not in the store
[doublepost=1476635701][/doublepost]
I just watched a TV show recently that profiled cell phone theft. Phones are stolen in the US and shipped to Latin America where people use software/hardware tools to break the software locks and then they are sold throughout Latin America.

If they are using Find My iPhone you can't break the lock. Folks have tried. Even the jailbreakers haven't figured out a way to successfully get around the requirement to contact iTunes, which is how the activation lock works

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
lol Not sure exactly what was happening but that was hilarious. Did someone say "someone call the cops" on those cops? Or were they not cops? I was jk about the iMac. I'm sure it would end up exactly like that.
I'm fairly sure they were private security, either for that store or for what appears to be an outdoor mall of some sort.

As they say, Stupid Hurts.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Great move by Apple. I would guess most people entering the store aren't petty thugs who want to steal stuff. By removing the tether, it'll be nice for customers to be able to hold it like they would if they bought it. Makes the experience much better. Still, there might be some people who would try to steal. So it is great that Apple came up with a way to make the phone un-usable if stolen.

Excellent, excellent move IMO.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Not going to wade through all of this thread but somebody must have said at some point "who cares?"

how many phones will be stolen from stores as a result of this?

I dunno, how many things are stolen from stores which have valuable items?

$800 is still $800 dollars. Users want one but they have to get an SE because they may not be able to afford.

MacEnforcer666

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2016
I tend to use the Apple Pay option a lot when buying cases in store, which I never understood what stops people from just picking up a case and walk out without paying seeing as even after I pay I just walk out holding the box with no bag, etc.
Security watches those sections like a hawk
[doublepost=1476662877][/doublepost]
Good riddance, I for one hated touching the display models fearing the ****** alarm would go off. Those alarms are quite loud and annoying if all you want to do is just check the phone or device out.
trust me it is more annoying for employees, especially at the Gbar who are trying to give specific step by step instructions to a customer,
[doublepost=1476663089][/doublepost]

"However, the bill of materials does not factor in costs related to, among other things, research and development, software, licensing costs, and transportation. The accuracy of the component costs is also questionable. Last year, Apple CEO Tim Cook said he has never seen a cost breakdown that is "anywhere close to being accurate," adding that they are generally "much different than the reality."
Apple also spends a ton of money post design too monitoring the production line and looking for possible design or manufacturing flaws, yeah the parts may cost 1/4 the cost of the phone, but an awful lot goes in to designing and testing a device throughout its production life, that being said Apple is in the business of making money and there is a healthy margin on the phones.
[doublepost=1476663808][/doublepost]
The phone may be unusable if stolen, but if you needed a new screen or battery or something... then this seems like a good source of genuine spare parts!

NEVER EVER EVER TRY AND REMOVE A BATTERY FROM AN iPhone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The iPhone batteries are held by adhesive with special pull tabs to remove the adhesive to replace the battery, they break very easily and at that point the Apple Retail store will replace the whole phone at the battery cost. On MacBooks there is no tabs to remove the adhesive, and apple has a lower cost replacement part for the TopCase if the battery is testing bad

This is a safety measure, the only times i have seen Thermal Runaway on a battery is when the tabs have broken and the technician attempts to pry it out (same technician both times) If they catch fire they burn very hot very fast and release CO, H2S, S02, and other nasty toxic gases

To see how fast this can happen watch this video, keep in mind it isn't necessary to puncture the battery to cause thermal runaway, bending or flexing the battery can initiate thermal runaway as well. Note how from the time the battery begins to vent till it is fully engulfed in flames is less than 5 seconds

Keep in mind that the enclosure of the device itself provides all the necessary protection to prevent the battery from being damged (unless you puncture it with a power drill)

Last edited:

huexley

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2015
[QUOTE="MacEnforcer666]

The iPhone batteries are held by adhesive with special pull tabs to remove the adhesive to replace the battery[/QUOTE]

Are you real ? *Spécial adhesive* ? Made from secret lab in Cupertino ? You should take a round on iFixit ;)

Reactions: imola.zhp

Earthful

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2014

Apple revamped its retail stores last year by removing iPad smart signage and demoting iPod display models to side shelves, and now the company has another move up its sleeves in a push towards simplicity.

iphone-security-tethers-removed.jpg

iPhone display models docked with only Lightning charging cables in Toronto

Over the past few months, Apple has removed security tethers from iPhone display models at some of its retail stores, including its Yorkdale location in Toronto, Canada and redesigned Regent Street store in London, England.

MacRumors has learned of at least two other stores in the United Kingdom where the security tethers, which activate audible alarms when disconnected, have been removed, and it appears likely the change will be phased in at other locations.

The courageous move effectively allows customers to walk into an Apple retail store, pick up an iPhone display model, and walk out with the device without paying, but Apple evidently feels the untethered experience is worth the risk.

tethered-iphone-7.jpg

iPhone display models with security tethers (Image: Mirror.co.uk)

As CNET explains, Apple wants customers to be able to hold an iPhone properly, try out cases, and even pocket the device:The customers who do attempt to steal iPhone display models, if not caught by security or CCTV cameras where installed, will walk away with unusable devices, as Apple will place them into Lost Mode remotely using Find My iPhone.

Apple continues to use security tethers on larger products such as MacBook and iPad display models.

(Thanks, Peter!)

Article Link: Apple Stores Removing Security Tethers From iPhone Display Models

When the iDevice leaves the store peramiter, automated sound is played with a massage "Please return device to Apple Store xxx"

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
It's kinda sad how almost everyone automatically assumes the worst of others.

I guess I'm the only one that's had folks tap them in the back and go "hey you dropped this (hands over a twenty)"

Or, had someone call them (phone number was written in the planner) to return said planner with the money tucked in the side, all accounted for.

Etc etc era

I think it's an amazing thing to be able to pick up a phone and go over to the wall case to test out the different styles before buying the phone.

Or to be able to hold the iPad in your hand without being forced to bend over the table due to the cable length, and to play around with it without the occasional tugs.

If someone really wants to go through the trouble of running out of the store full sprint for a mere iPhone and all the repercussions that is associated with it, only to sell it for parts or a bill or two (because if you need to work on it for it to be usable (someone mentioned Latin America) then, they're not going to pay you as much because those service would cost money and the money cuts into their profit margins and folks aren't going to pay full price for the phone to begin with if they're buying it on the black market.

And that's IF there truly is a way around the bricking of iPhone.

As for the folks mentioning "airplane" mode to sneak out without sound...if this was the case...don't you think they'll disable it like they do with airdrop? <-I've seen this disabled on the demo phone. And it's interesting that even though your iPhone is on airplane, you can still use wifi signal.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Nice change. Makes a lot of sense.

Agreed. Nothing is more annoying when at
Your local carrier store, some Kid sets
Off the cell phone security alarm and of
Course, all the employees are to 'Busy' to turn it off, while it's loudly ringing for five minutes. Every single time I visit my store, It happens.

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
that's component cost, does not include R&D, creating tools to make these (ones that aren't outsourced), software development, marketing ...

Yeah, you could make one for 200$, after everything listed has been done for you. Component list is irrelevant for real profit margin calculation...

If someone walks out the door with an iPhone the only thing that is lost is... the components! Look at your own responses, LMAO.

They will iCloud lock those components ASAP. It isn't like someone will be out there using the phone, wow, I cant believe I had to explain that.

Last edited:

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
If someone walks out the door with an iPhone the only thing that is lost is... the components!LMAO.

It overburdens the police and the courts, adds to a store’s security expenses, costs consumers more for goods, costs communities lost dollars in sales taxes and hurts children and families.

wow, I cant believe I had to explain that.

Last edited:

MacEnforcer666

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2016
[QUOTE="MacEnforcer666]

The iPhone batteries are held by adhesive with special pull tabs to remove the adhesive to replace the battery

Are you real ? *Spécial adhesive* ? Made from secret lab in Cupertino ? You should take a round on iFixit ;)[/QUOTE]

Its made by 3M and is activated by pressure, with rubber pull tabs designed to remove the adhesive without flexing or bending the battery. By now if you have been reading this site you should be aware that Apple does a lot of custom design work on their products so the fact they use "specially designed adhesive" shouldn't be a shock to you.

Oh and iFixit are a bunch of morons, i've read the official Apple Service Guides and iFixit's repair guides, and iFixit does not even mention the potential safety hazards when dealing with embedded LiIO batteries. For example If upon inspecting a battery and if it has a deformation deeper than .5mm it has to be replaced for safety reasons and shipped back via ground only not air, so it can be safely disposed of. Their instructions on 2009-2011 iMacs don't mention the fact that the exposed unshielded power supply can retain a charge for up to an hour after being unplugged, a charge that could very easily kill someone. What iFixit does is completely and utterly irresponsible and could lead to people being severely injured or even killed. When an AASP or Genius gets certified there are a number of safety questions on the test, miss more than one, and even if you got every other question right you still fail the exam. These batteries are very dangerous when not covered by the device enclosure, and if you watched the video I posted you could plainly see how quickly a Thermal runaway can occur and how dangerous it can be.

You clearly know nothing about how these products actually work if you are relying on iFixit, who btw is not Apple and did not design the product, nor do they understand all the potential issues when performing module replacement. Heck their guides directly contradict Apple's service guidelines, plus their whole business model is based on selling upgrades and replacement components for Macs and iPhones (most of which are cheap knockoffs that break easily), which means they have a conflict of interest when it comes to safety because they don't want to scare off customers from performing DIY repairs.

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
It overburdens the police and the courts, adds to a store’s security expenses, costs consumers more for goods, costs communities lost dollars in sales taxes and hurts children and families.

wow, I cant believe I had to explain that.

What? Police, courts, families, children? You are assuming that Apple would use the first (police) which would then affect the others. Until you know for sure Apple will attempt to recover those devices by using the police you caunnot assume those affects will occur.

They would be better off cloud locking the few devices that end up missing and writing them off as a loss.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
What? Police, courts, families, children? You are assuming that Apple would use the first (police) which would then affect the others. Until you know for sure Apple will attempt to recover those devices by using the police you caunnot assume those affects will occur.

They would be better off cloud locking the few devices that end up missing and writing them off as a loss.

What? you are assuming apple wouldn't phone the police.
A criminal act has occured on their premises the apple manager will have a 'duty of care' to contact the police to protect other retailers and householders in the area against the criminal(s).

Last edited:

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
If someone walks out the door with an iPhone the only thing that is lost is... the components! Look at your own responses, LMAO.

They will iCloud lock those components ASAP. It isn't like someone will be out there using the phone, wow, I cant believe I had to explain that.
not sure why you quoted me? I was just explaining that profit margins aren't as black and white as it seems.

Reactions: deany

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
What? you are assuming apple wouldn't phone the police.
A criminal act has occured on their premises the apple manager will have a 'duty of care' to contact the police to protect other retailers and householders in the area against the criminal(s).

Criminal act? What if it was just misplaced within the store?

not sure why you quoted me? I was just explaining that profit margins aren't as black and white as it seems.

Quoted you to explain that in this type of situation ONLY the components would be lost.

same here with my quote but 'Hey Ho'

Forums are for discussion, no?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.