Apple stores should disable internet access....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by daneoni, Nov 3, 2006.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I went to the Apple store to check out the red nano and then decided to compare glossy screens on MBPs with matte ones BUT that was not gonna happen. There was only ONE glossy MBP in the entire store and a mo-fo just sat his fat a s s chatting on it and surfing the web with no intention of buying anything basically just using it for free internet access....which is fine but dont hog the darn thing. He saw that i was waiting and completely ignored me...stupid twat.

I thought to myself "patience" so i walk around the store...even left and came back two hours later but guess who was still on the same computer. I really felt like b i t c h slapping the twat.

Anyhue i decided to get an Apple employee to get him off but the dude said "We dont have glossy MBPs in store, thats not glossy". WHAT! its right there. I just got fed up and went to selfridges to see if i'd have better luck but ran into someone i knew so i had to postpone.

I really dislike the Regents Street store now. They either don't have stuff or the staff are rude or just plain dumb. Sorry to say but thats been my constant experience.

Just thought i'd rant.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It seems like it'd be better to remove all chairs and make people stand to use the systems. And to place the counters a bit high so it'd be annoying to use them for more than a few minutes.

3. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Surely the moral of the story is just to ask an Apple Store employee when you want to play around on a machine which you have a genuine interest in? I've been kicked off machines a few times because the employee wants to show someone the machine I'm on.

Anyway, the only reason I don't like the Regent Street store is because you have to go to Oxford Circus to get there, which is like a human zoo. The Apple Store is incredibly busy if you go around 5pm on a weekday or anytime at a weekend, but I guess you've got to kinda expect that in the UK's prime shopping district.

4. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I've had the same situation. There's one Mac with a keyboard in the whole store and I wanted to test how the m-audio keyboard felt (I'll get one when I get an iMac soon) and for about 2 hours this 20 year old was on the computer blaring explicit rap music and on myspace. I didn't bother an employee, but everyone in the store knew what was going on. You could hear the music out of the store.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

No chairs other then the Genius Bar at my store. :rolleyes:

6. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

In the Apple Store around here there are normal sized counters but no chairs. unless you count the kids section ;)

7. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I find most people that hog the macs in the stores are twats that dont have a mac, dont intend to buy a mac, but want to be seen using one.

To be honest I dont like going into the Apple Stores because its always full of twats like that. Especially the Sheffield store. Sheffield is a strong contender for Chav Central. I want out!

:mad:

8. dcv macrumors G3

I agree Regent Street is a nightmare store for actually getting to see Apple products. You could try John Lewis, I'm not sure whether they have the glossy screens though.

9. Dubba macrumors regular

I agree with the OP. I went into the store to compare the Glossy & Matter screens on the MacBook Pros, but couldn't as there were foreign kids (perhaps because it was half-term week?) all over the machines just surfing and chatting to one another (and their whole group was spread across the place using i reckon about 30% of the computers in there - you could tell by their hats).

It was so annoying - I haven't had a chance to go back, and I want to order the new 17" - but I don't know which screen to get as I couldn't compare (although I am leaning towards Glossy from what I could see at a distant)! :-(

10. shecky Guest

shecky

where i come from "twat" is on par with the "c" word. you know the one. apparently not in England :)

and i would (and have) stand right behind people (actually a little too close) and watched what they are doing in a very obvious manner if i want to see the machine they are on. this is a great way to get someone off a machine.

11. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

It was just sooo annoying!. I did stand close made sure he noticed me but noooo.........

The only time i've been in that store and get to do what i want is at 10:10 AM when they actually open the doors, anything later and you might as well forget it.

12. Dubba macrumors regular

I tried that too, but to no avail.

Some people don't get subtle hints; others are too stupid to notice; even more are too selfish to care.

13. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

(Mine in bold)

That's the most common problem, I think. ;)

14. Edge100 macrumors 68000

I make it a point of directing all of the Macs in the Apple Store to macrumors.com

15. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

...and its always the laptops, tons of Mac Pros were free as were some iMacs but the laptops ALL in use but at least the others spent on average 20 mins on machines....

Thought of actually going up to him and saying "Excuse me but you cant be chatting, some people actually want to buy this machine..." BUT people say i'm rude already so im trying to stop that.

16. majorp macrumors 6502

17. the dr macrumors member

Ha ha - you know, exactly the same thing happened to me just a few weeks ago. Except the guy really stank and then sneezed in his hands before returning to msn messenger. That put me off wanting to try out the glossy MBP. They should have a matte and a glossy positioned side by side reserved solely for people wishing to compare the screen options - sounds like there's quite a few of us!

doc

18. steelfist macrumors 6502a

i agree, i think that internet access should be disabled, or slow.

just to let you know, most computer store sellers don't even know what they are selling or what they are talking about. for example, all the store sellers said the radeon 9600 pro was faster than the radeon 9500 pro. a lot of clerks don't know how to operate a camera, some don't even know where the on/off button of an imac is! and some store owners are very lazy. i saw one playing his psp with his earphones.

19. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

Have any of you ever thought of telling them you want to use it now?
    Have any of you ever thought of asking if you could have your turn?
    I find people just give up too easily. These days, those who are more
    assertive and less passive get what they want. The rest sulk and moan
    about it.

20. ironjaw macrumors 6502

Well in Birmingham Bullring store that's what they have no chairs but the counters are not high though. Bullring stores great except on Saturday's for obvious reasons. I did go to the Regent Store and its a PAIN - well that's London too many people but I like it well not the Regent Store

21. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Well i'm back at the store this morning and its empy BUT the machine i want to use is again occupied but this guy looks sane so i'll give him some minutes. Besides i'm on the terminal next to him so i'm definately next. Thus far the matte does look that wee bit duller.

Hmmm we'll see.....

22. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

That's what they do at the Macstores here in South Africa;)

23. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I think it'd be better to place them low, like waist level.

24. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Yup typing on it now and yeah the glossy has the slight edge IMHO, the colours jump out at you and things a waay crisper. The glare is there but i have definately seen worse and since my design work is very limited, i might as well just go glossy. The uneven brightness is also an issue here but the glossy coat seems to compensate.

Anyone know if i can bring my current matte and swap it for a glossy model or do i have to return and re-order?