Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should Apple Stores carry non stock configs?

• Yes, Apple Stores should keep a few non standard configs on hand?

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No, the Apple Store model is good as it is.

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
Do you think Apple stores should expand their product selection to include more than stock configurations or be able to do moderate upgrades instore at the time of purchase?

I honestly really hate that I cant go and buy my machine at the store, even though I live within walking distance of an Apple store. I am forced to order online and wait because the system I want isnt stock.

Why cant Apple offer a few non stock configurations in stores? I mean they dont have to overwhelm the inventory with non stock options, Im talking maybe 5-10 in stores, and once(if) those sale, the store can get more

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Then the problem becomes, what if they don't sell those non stock configuration models? Then they have to eventually sell them for less then what they are worth to get them off the shelf, losing money.

They should offer an in-store pickup. You would build the computer you want online, then tell them which store you want to pick it up from. They would probably give some time frame for how long it would take to add the extra components, but i don't see it taking more than a day, maybe the next day at most. All they would have to do is keep the extra parts on hand, not having to open them up until they are needed, thus not wasting that inventory.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I don't think they should keep non-standard configurations on hand but keep the components available and be able to configure standard models quickly.

They should also be have a better selection of software to show the world that there actually is software for Mac OS X. If I was skeptical, their selection would not ease my mind.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
I read that Apple were going to revamp their stores to tie in with the design of future products. Apparently they are moving away from the stark white clinical look.

Rich.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.