Apple Stores within 15 miles of each other?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by G4scott, Jun 22, 2002.

1. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

OK. I'm going to be sick...

If you go to Apple's retail job opportunities, it is clear that they are planning to open a store in Highland Park, TX. Sounds good, right? A new Apple store to convert the masses...

Now, go to MapQuest and search for Highland Park in Texas. It'll take you to a suburb of Dallas, TX. Look for another Apple store in Texas... IN PLANO FOR HEAVENS SAKES!!! TWO APPLE STORES WITHIN 15 MILES OF EACH OTHER!!! Now that's unfair... How could Apple be putting two stores right next to each other, while leaving tons of other locations across the country without Apple Stores? If you're from Texas, you would probably agree that San Antonio, or Austin would be good places for other Apple stores in Texas (there's already one coming for Houston) But why Dallas? Maybe the mall at willow bends isn't doing to well (i've been there, and it's a pretty upscale mall... if you don't drive a car that costs more than $40000, you'd better park on the outskirts of the parking lot...)

They could put one in McAllen! They'd have plenty of international traffic... But my point is, why are they putting two stores right next to each other? Is this the clinton administration where somebody's brother-in-law lives too far from the one in plano, so he asks for one closer to his house?

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

There are two Apple stores up here in MA within 20 miles of each other (16.6 actually). Then there is another store just inside of NH (21.8 miles from the one in the Northshore Mall).

3. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

Hmm... that's weird. What's it like in MA? Is it just like one big city, where everything is close together? In Texas, once you get outside of the big cities, you're in pretty much desolate land... I don't know... Will somebody please explain to me the logic in the placement of these stores? I know that up in New England, there are a lot more people packed into a smaller area, but there are other places in Texas...

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I thought all of Texas was desert :p...

New England has pockets of people and then wilderness (where people can live without desert survival gear :p). We have some cities, like Boston, but even that has suburbs around it that have a lower population densities.

Check out MA or New England online and see what it is like. I live in a suburb (not part of Boston, but miles from it).

5. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

I visited my Uncle in West Hartford, Connecticut last summer, or was it 2 summers ago... anyways, my family got to drive around. It certainly was different than Texas. There would be whole neighborhoods shrouded by trees (In south texas, where i'm from, we mostly have shrubs, but a few trees) It was nice, being able to drive for an hour, and go through 3 states, whereas in Texas, you can drive for 8 hours, and still be stuck in Texas... It was nice, though, but the spread of people was quite even in the suburbs, while in Texas, when you get out of a city, or metropolitan area, it's either desert :p or forest...

Oh well, I guess i'm stuck with a compUSA, that doesn't really have an Apple store within a store. It's more like an aisle within a shop. But, they said that they were planning to expand, and were looking for help, so I might think about getting a job there as a Mac Sales person... Who knows, I might help them out...

6. robodweeb macrumors member

Orange County CA also has two stores ...

... less than 15 miles from each other ... South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa and Fashion Island in Newport Beach. Further, the same manager manages both ...

In defense of Apple, these stores may be close, but the markets they serve are very different ...

cheerz!

7. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I may not like Apple Australia much, but I can't say there's a lack of stores.

In Melbourne alone (population ~3million) there are 7 Apple Stores I can think of off the top of my head... :D

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Just like the two in MA, and the one in NH. They are all in areas of high population, or far enough apart that more people will go to them. When I was living at the old place, I was about 5 minutes from the one in NH. Now I would have to go at least 15-20 minutes to get to the one in Cambridge (if I am lucky and traffic is moving).

9. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

I have to drive about 10* hours to get to my nearest Apple store, but then I can visit my cousins! what joy...

*i originally put 6, but i wasn't thinking...

10. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Damn, I could make at least two round trips to the one in NH in that much time. WITH time to check out things and make purchases too. I could probably even grab some lunch during one of the trips too and still do it all in under 6 hours... :D

Another nice thing about MA, is the fact that there are companies that make hardware and software for the Mac based here. Now if we could only bring MW back to Boston again...

[edit] damn dude, 10 hours?? each way??? FUUUUUUUUCK!!! [/edit]

11. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

15 miles apart!

I just find this sad!

So many places that have stores so close to each other while there isnt a single store in Southern Oregon at all.

I don't undertand that APPle is thinking, they need to spread their stores out across America, father apart.

In larger cities people think nothing of driving 15 miles, thats nothing.
    You drive that to get a cup of coffee, for a new computer how far would you drive?

Listen Up, APPLE! We need a store in Southern Oregon! Please!

12. Choppaface macrumors 65816

we need one in sf!! come on!!

i got to see the one in boston though...very nice...although i stumped the genius bar :\ (didnt have older parts in stock to help)

the salespeople sure are a lot nicer than any others I've ever met. if anything thats going to help sell computers :D

13. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Does it really matter if some stores are withing 20 miles of one another? I'm sure you would find huge demographic differences between those two locations, however close they may seem. Also, apple hasn't been opening stores for all that long yet. So far only 31 stores have been opened (according to www.apple.com/retail). If things go well, perhaps all the stores will eventually be within 20 miles of the next one :)

I've seen McDonalds within a block of the next one. They seem to be surviving ;)

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I've said it before in other threads and I'll say it again in this one...

I want an Apple Store in London!

Please don't forget about us apple.

15. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I'll second that. The UK market would be easy picking for apple, if they just put some more effort into it. English people pay over-the-top (Rip-Off Britain) prices for just about anything with a designer label on it, so why not the same for a mac? I'm sure it could work.

Some dedicated, classy apple stores in (for example) Bluewater, on Oxford St...... it would do wonders for their profile.

16. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

The only place I go to buy mac stuff is Tottenham Court Road (Microanvika) and my local John Lewis(Kingston), but apple better bring an apple store here pretty fast

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

An Apple Store in Oxford street would draw so much attention if it was done properly. e.g.
    Stunning bright white interior, 23" HD Displays, QuickSilvers, TiBooks and iMacs in the front window (well lit).
    With the amount of people that walk down Oxford Street every day having a store standing out amongst the rest would cause allot of new interest in the product.
    There are also allot of very rich and style conscious people in central London that are totally ignorant to both windows and mac.
    There for this is an ideal market where you would not have to 'win' people over from the wintel platform.
    Buyers would simply be stunned by the visual style of the mac then grow to love the way they operate.

So c'mon apple, get a move on an give us a friggin apple store, now!

18. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

W-_-W~ That John Lewis in kingston...... that's where i went to buy my tibook 500! :D

Pathetically small apple selection there :(

19. Classic macrumors regular

San Francisco Apple Store

Hey Choppaface,

If you look at the retail job postings, you'll find that Apple is planning a store in Emeryville. Now, that's not quite SF, but close - or at least close to Pixar.....

Anyway, the CompUSA in SF is about as good as they come, (even though CompUSA generally sucks) and MacAdam isn't too bad either. So, soon enough you'll be able to go over the bridge to an apple store, rather than down the peninsula to Palo Alto.

20. kevin49093 macrumors regular

Poor excuse for an apple store...

I visited CompUSA with my sister in Denver to purchase apple pro speakers for her and was horrified! I saw a 23" apple display...used for running XP! Good thing there was an apple store in South Denver....

21. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: Poor excuse for an apple store...

That's an outrage!
    Such an OS should not be allowed to be seen on such a high quality display. :D

22. King Cobra macrumors 603

It looks like I will luck out for another year. There is an Apple Store in the big Palasades Mall, and there is one in Woodcliff Lake, if I am not mistaken. I am not sure how far part exactly they are, but for me that's pretty close. I'd say the one in Woodcliff lake is around 15 or 20 minutes away from my house.

However, my family and I will relocate in 2003, and the closest Apple Store currently to our future house is around 3 or 4 hours away from there.

Damn, kevin, I'm using a 15 inch LCD for my Mac OS. I can't imagine staring at 23 inches of [compl]XP from a foot away. Take two and call me in the morning! :cool:

23. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

blasphemy!:D

24. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

No person should have to view windoze XP on such an enormous screen! That's an outrage!!! The display is Apple hardware, and should be used with a Mac, not some sub-standard pee-cee with a 2 bit OS... The spies from Apple should've seen this, infiltrated CompUSA, and fixed it at once! Do not stand for the tyranny! Do not tread on me (or us), windoze scum! We will prevail because we are right, and we us Macs (not that settles everything, doesn't it :D )

25. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

the apple store actually sells the props to do that -- i think its some kind converter box that costs like 50 bucks... by that Dr. Bot guy with the Deviator product or whatever...

but that is pretty gross.