Apple Stores...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by coopdig, Jun 7, 2006.

1. coopdig macrumors member

Feb 29, 2004
    I'm going to be purchaseing myself a Macbook soon and, as a student, I hope to be taking advantage of all these rebates that are taking place over the summer. However, I have two questions I was hoping someone might be able to asnwer for me:
    1) Is the student discount the same in Apple stores as it is online? Someone posted in these forums that there was a difference -- however, I think he was from Britain, so that may explain.
    2) If I wanted to take advantage of the printer rebate (which I do), and have one of the offered printers in mind, what are the chances that they will have this in one of their Apple stores? I was thinking I could just purchase the printer at the store, but do they stock many printers there, usually/at all? Or, if I were to purchase a macbook and ipod in-store, could I then just purchase the printer online at a later date? (I as b/c I couldn't do this with the ipod -- the ipod and computer have to be on the same receipt if one wishes to take advantage of the rebate.)

I ask, mainly, b/c I'm all the way up in the middle of VT and have never been to an Apple store myself--too far!--BUT have the opportunity to take a trip to one about a week from now and, thus, if I were to buy my notebook then, I could save on the waiting associated with shipping (which, like all, I loathe ;) ).

Like I say, any information you could provide would be much appreciated!
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    1. Yes, the discount is the same. You don't get build to order options in the store though. Take your student ID or an acceptance letter to your university and you're set.

2. There are usually 3-5 printers on display. They'll range from the low end $99 to higher end ones.
  3. it5five macrumors 65816

May 31, 2006
    New York
    When my girlfriend got her iMac the the other day, they didnt have the printer we wanted in stock. It was the 99 dollar Canon (which was free after the rebate). I'm thinking that one is REALLY popular because you're pretty much getting a free scanner, copier, and printer. Plus it looks really nice. So, you might wanna call ahead and see if they have the one you're interested in. And if they have it, see if they can hold it for you or something just to play it safe.
  4. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    Well, actually, some people in the States have reported that their university computer/bookstores offer lower prices than Apple's online educational discounts. However, there shouldn't be a discrepancy between Apple's online educational store and getting an educational discount in a retail, brick & mortar Apple store.
  5. bankshot macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2003
    Southern California
    As others said, there is no difference in the hardware discount you get in Apple retail stores vs. online. However, note that you can't get the educational discount on software in the retail stores. You must order it online.

I'd call ahead to the store you're planning on visiting just to be sure. When we bought our Macbook a few weeks ago (with edu discount in store), they did have the low end HP printer that we decided to get for "free" after rebate. Of course I have no idea if they had 50 in the back, if it was the last one, etc. Just ask ahead.