Apple strikes back at Adobe

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MacsRgr8, Mar 26, 2003.

1. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

2. alset macrumors 65816

alset

I really like the part about Final Cut. Then again, Apple has been really good at throwing things up in everyone's faces. That usually doesn't help make friends.

Dan

3. MacsRgr8 thread starter macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Apple needs friends like Adobe

Yeah, I'm afraid of that. I believe Apple needs Adobe to keep creating those brilliant apps for Mac OS X. Adobe as the industry leading (standard) in creative applications.

4. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Re: Apple needs friends like Adobe

If Adobe ever leave apple (not that i think that will happen) thats curtains fo the mac in the publishing and print industry(especially if Quark dont get their act together).

5. MacsRgr8 thread starter macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Quark XPress 6 beta is carbonized 5...

I "found" a copy of the XPress 6 beta, for Mac OS X.... and believe it or not, it's Carbon! They didn't even make it Cocoa yet... and OMG it's awfull. Many menu commands don't work, and it looks exactly like XPress 5. Having seen this, Apple really, really needs Adobe.
    But I can't figure out why Adobe posted this "PC Preferred" site in the first place. I can't imagine them (Adobe) feeling any better after posting that, and it made Apple pretty angry. Anybody could have guessed that...

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The most funny thing is that Apple thinks a g4 is still in the game with the P4! I dont know about all of you reading this but benchmark after benchmark shows this isnt the case. Apple needs to pull its head out of its A _ _ and realize that adobe is only stating the truth. If not then why resort to 2 g4s,xserve architecture and partial use ddr? Come on Apple quit the smoke and mirrors, the g4 is getting smoked by the p4. Just admit it and then use the 970 in every product you make.( also dump motorola) a 970 imac would sell millions and millions but i'm sure it will be more of the crippling crap you do with your consumer lines and more g4 imacs to come. BEAM ME UP SCOTTY!

7. MacsRgr8 thread starter macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I'm pretty sure Apple knows the G4 and P4 are not even in the same league, but right now Apple doesn't have an option. So if you want to make money, you have to try to sell these slow babies (no matter how).
    Ofcourse we know Adobe is stating the truth, but is there a need to state this at all? They might as well state that the "Preferred OS" is Mac OS X.
    Apple wants to implement the 970 probably even more than we all want to use it.

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yep we all know its true. but with all these rumors of 970's it seems like it wont be long. i personally dont think all these 970 rumors could just ocme out of no where, i think all the evidence is there, now we just gotta sit and wait.

iJon

9. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

alset

I love your Hobbes avatar!!

(sorry, thats all I have to say!)

10. cubist macrumors 68020

It was rather poor timing for Adobe to come out and say what they did... unless maybe they're trying to light a fire under Apple.

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Re: Quark XPress 6 beta is carbonized 5...

I'm not sure why you expected that XPress would have been re-written to use Cocoa. There's a 99.9 % chance that won't happen with any cross-platform software.

As far as Adobe goes, as Apple has been putting together various things like Final Cut Pro and upgrading iPhoto to do light photo touch-up, it has to anger a company which makes a lot of money in that industry.

The truth, as well, goes that even some AltiVec-enhanced applications can't keep up, especially in the spots where AltiVec can't help. It's fine to compare processors that are 200 MHz apart because it's reasonable that a RISC processor could overtake a CISC processor of similar speeds. Doubling the speed requires much more efficient code, a much more efficient operating system and a healthy optimising processor. Adobe doesn't have the first one, Apple is working on the 2nd one, and Motorola doesn't have a clue.

12. pantagruel macrumors regular

I still dont understand why Adobe would feel it was neccessary to post anything anti-mac on its site, lots of people buy macintosh adobe software so why piss apple off? apple has a right to feel offended but hey its a free world right.

13. MacsRgr8 thread starter macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Re: Re: Quark XPress 6 beta is carbonized 5...

Beacause it took a very long (too long) time. Everbody was/is speculating for a brilliant cocoa version of XPress 6, being far better than InDesign. They have do get ahead of Adobe.

Adobe didn't get pissed when M$ developed Movie Maker. No "Mac Preferred" pages then. Remember, when Adobe says "PC Preferred", they mean "Mico$oft Windows Preferred". Or is there Photoshop running on Linux?

14. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Some may disagree with me but I think it would be wise for Apple to disclose atleast some information about their upcoming hardware. I think that the money they would lose in slow PowerMac sales while waiting for the new machines would be chump change compared to what they could potentially lose if people start to abandon the platform altogether. I see more and more devoted Mac people resorting to using PCs for serious number crunching and I think some sort of announcement would keep some of their faith in the Mac platform, while at the same time getting the buzz out to potential "switchers" from the PC side of the fence. We don't need pictures or anything, just some rough tech specs to keep us from trading all our software for Windows versions.

15. MacsRgr8 thread starter macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Some may disagree, but I totally agree with you. And the infamous Adobe remarks really shout for an announcement like you stated above.
    I have been trying to convince "to be Dark Side Switchers" for more than a year now, that a new gr8 PPC (the 970) will be coming soon. This G5/970 hype has existed since MWSF 2002...
    I know good ol' Steve loves to surprize everyone, but it really can harm future sales aswell!

16. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

Re: Quark XPress 6 beta is carbonized 5...

also, keep in mind that it's a beta

17. MacsRgr8 thread starter macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Re: Re: Quark XPress 6 beta is carbonized 5...

Yeah, but this is the first beta of a carbon version of an existing software pakkage.... They took 3 years to come up with this. I bet ya, they'll be charging $1,000 at least for this one, coming somewhere around X-mas.
    It's not going to well for DTP on Mac, is it? Xpress is coming far, far too late, and Adobe is saying PC's are better.
    Sheesh! :(

18. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Well, even though Apple replied, that publicity is still out there, and it is potentially very damaging to Apple. Even though I see Apple has responded saying "it's your fault, not ours" they are secretly blaming it on themselves and Moto, and publicly trying to save face.
    I see this still pushing apple harder into the realm of the 970.

19. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

Apple just needs to admit that they're way behind in the processor race. Their machines are a better overall computing experience but in speed, it's not keeping up. They desperately need to pull out an ace in terms of performance in the upcoming PowerMacs or they've sealed their own fate. It's 50/50 on whether my next machine is a PC or Mac.
    I like Apple but I'm not going to wait for the "promised land" of butt-kicking speed.
    If we'll ever get there. :rolleyes:

20. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

this was some obviously stupid comment made on the adobe website, sure it maybe true, but in fact over 60% of designers use adobe products and a mac. So even adobe thinking about dropping mac support all together is completely dumb. If they dropped mac support, they'd drop half there sales too.

So this is definately not going to happen.

21. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

I dont at all if they went public with the information and just waited on advertise it I dont think it would hurt sales at all heres why:

1) NO ONE in these forms will be buying a computer until the 970 (or whatever there next proc. is) comes out unless they absolutly have to.

2) Joe Average isnt going to know about it and will most likely buy a mac anyways

example: I told my brother (loves macs / prepress manager) that the 970 might be comign out soon and he didnt know what it was (BTW he was shopping for a new mac, I told him to wait until at least July to see if the rumors would pan out)

3) it would give us mac fanatics something to give to "switchers" that think macs are slow. (other then rumors)

Hope this makes sense.... :D

22. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

Having been in the art/design field for a while, I can say for certain that Adobe is crucial in Apple's success. It used to be that Macs outperformed PC's and usability of Mac OS made it ideal machine as a professional tool. And Adobe softwares were key player in this. Now PC's are outperforming Mac's and usability gap is closing. If you consider the fact that Adobe softwares are virtually identical in Mac or PC versions, that gap is actually non-existent. Therefore it is not surprising that Adobe is preferring PC's now. Apple simply needs to face the facts and get its act together and push forward with G5/IBM 970. Apple needs every software developer, especially Adobe, in bringing us 64 bit optimized softwares that will turn things around.