Apple Student Discount at Apple Store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Krizoitz, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Is it possible to use your Apple Student Developers Discount at the Apple Stores? I'd love to be able to walk out with a PowerBook from an AppleStore, but I can save over $500 with the Developer Discount.

2. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Please tell me details about the Student Developer's kit...I know it costs $99 and you get a one time discount, but how much? I am getting ready to buy a new Powerbook and I want to know if I should go this route or the education discount?

3. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I believe it's 20% off your total price.

4. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Is that off regular price or can you can that off education prices, because, I mean, if you are getting the student development kit, then you are obviously a student...?

5. Gherkin macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure you CANNOT double up using the Developer Discount and the Education Discount on the same order.

6. Gherkin macrumors 6502

Holy Cow! This rocks. I am definitely signing up for the Developer Program thing. Here's my comparison for the upcoming laptop I will be buying:

Developer Discount:
    15" PB, 128MB video memory, 80 GB 5400 rpm HD, Combo Drive = $2,019.20 (this is with $100 entry fee included)

Education Discount:
    15" PB, 128MB video memory, 80 GB 5400 rpm HD, Combo Drive = $2,209.00

That's nearly $200 in savings. AWESOME.

7. Krizoitz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Go here. Click on the link that says HARDWARE PURCHASE PROGRAM STORE (USA).
    That will take you to a store with all the prices.

It looks like the eMacs and iBooks are 10% off while iMacs, PowerPC's, and PowerBooks are all 20%. It doesn't look like you end up saving much on the low end machines. The lower discount plus low price plus $99 don't make buying one much worth it.

If you are at all interested in an iPod its a good place to buy one as well, you only get the one discount so it might be worth saving $60-$100 bringing a 40gb pod down to the 20gb price. Displays are 20% off too.

8. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

you HAVE to do it online...you CANNOT do it in the store...

9. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I know that you cannot purchase Education discounted software from the store, but I don't know about hardware. I have always made my purchases online.