Apple Student Discount question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by phreakout13, Apr 12, 2005.

1. phreakout13 macrumors 6502

phreakout13

Does Apple offer student discounts to high schoolers, or just to college students? I want to get Tiger, but it'd be great to save that much money on it. Thanks:)

2. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I think anyone who is in school can get the discount. I think this even applies to home-schooled students as well.

3. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

if you do your homework and click "Education" on the right side of the apple store you'll see links for K-12 and higher ed.

:p

4. phreakout13 thread starter macrumors 6502

phreakout13

5. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

I could be wrong but I think only college students can get a discount. Only educators can get the discount in K-12.

6. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

i have a question, do they offer the student discount with student id in the stores, last time, they didn't, at least when i tried to buy panther they wouldn't let me. They told me i had to buy it on the online store, is this still true?

if not, i will have to buy it from my campus bookstore, or pre-order later online in order to get it.

7. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

This has been discussed elsewhere .

It seems software discounts don't happen at the retail stores.

8. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

maybe i can convince my friends dad, who is an apple rep., of buying it for me. if not, i will be pre-ordering it tonight, or thursday when i have class.

9. supergod macrumors 6502

pssst... hey kid. Try entering "123456789" as your student number under university education, selecting whichever university you choose. Now you have a 12% discount (give or take).

I'm not kidding: The online Applestore is actually that easy.

10. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

legally, you can't get an edu discount unless you're a college student/teacher or a highschool teacher. No highschool students. However, there's nothin on the applestore website preventing someone who does not fall into one of those categories from taking advantage of an edu discount. You'll only be asked for the name of your school.

11. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

My little sister is homeschooled, so we get a good discount.

Only thing is, they limit the amount of stuff you can buy.

12. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I don't think most people have to worry about buying past the limit, that would be a ton of money and I don't think most people have that kind of budget.

13. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

I dunno. The softwear alone is only 2 pieces a year, I think.

14. supersize macrumors member

I have bought 2 computers through the online educational store and at no time did it even ask for a student ID.

15. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

I've purchased a bunch of things through the Apple store online educational discount, however, I'm not a college student. They don't check on anything. They don't even ask for your student I.D. number or anything like that.

The only thing they do ask for is your school.

16. bosrs1 macrumors 6502

Officially they only offer it to college students in the stores and to K-college online. However unofficially online it is open to everyone regardless if you are a student or not.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If you are a senior in HS, and have a college acceptance letter, you count. They do sometimes do random checks to make sure people aren't abusing the system, and if they find you have, you do have to pay the full amount. K-12 students aren't eligible, but k-12 educators are. That applies to home schooling as well.