Apple Studio Display problem!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MarkW19, Oct 9, 2005.

1. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I've got a 17" Studio Display (the last white model before the aluminium ones), and a Powermac G5 single 1.8.

The 2 have been working fine together for 2 years or more, but the other day when I turned my computer on in the morning, the screen remained black. The white light still lights up on the monitor (a steady light, I know its not in sleep mode or anything). When the grey background with the apple should come on, it doesn't and just stays black - but my computer is still booting up as normal. I've tried pulling the ADC connector out and plugging it back in, messing around with it a bit etc., but no luck.

I've just plugged a Formac Gallery monitor straight in by ADC and it works straight away, so I guess it's my monitor that's the problem :(

Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

2. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

I'd guess it's either a dead backlight or a worn out inverter.

3. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'll take it to my local AASP then...think it'll be costly?

4. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

I don't know, but I suppose you could ask them over the phone how much it would cost to repair if it were one problem or the other. The ADC LCDs don't seem that hard to take apart and repair, but I've never done it.

5. Mark1045a macrumors newbie

17" Apple Studio Display

My wife has a G4 that came with a 17" Apple Studio Display. It's her pride and joy. When she turned it on Saturday morning, October 15, it exhibited exactly the same symptoms as described above. The keyboard and mouse which plug in via USB to the monitor, work fine. The brightness touch button and the on/off touch button on the display work fine too. Any information on how to fix the problem would be appreciated.