Apple Sued Over Online Apple Store Receipts

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 10, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

A new class-action lawsuit alleges Apple violates the Fair Credit Reporting Act, according to Information Week.

The act, amended in 2003, states that "No person that accepts credit cards or debit cards for the transaction of business shall print more than the last five digits of the card number or the expiration date upon any receipt provided to the card holder at the point of sale or transaction."

The lawsuit alleges that Apple violates the act by printing credit card expiration dates on Apple Online Store receipts. In addition, the suit points out that the purchaser's full name, full home address, full phone number and full e-mail address are also printed, arguably increasing the risk of identity theft.

Like many big businesses, Apple routinely has lawsuits filed against them, most of which are later settled out of court. In this case, the lawsuit demands $100 to $1000 for each class member (which if certified as a class action, may encompass anyone who has shopped at the Apple Online Store in 2007) plus expenses, however a settled amount would likely be much less.

Raw Data (pdf links):
    - The Lawsuit
    - Fair Credit Reporting Act

Article Link
  2. macrumors 603

Sep 19, 2003
    Canada, eh?
    Wow, talk about grasping at straws.. sheesh! :confused:

Are other merchants getting dinged too, or is Apple the only one people know of?
  3. macrumors regular

Oct 29, 2006
  4. macrumors 6502a

Jan 4, 2006
    Honolulu, HI
    #4 litigation getting out of of control?
  5. macrumors 6502

May 27, 2005
    Well at least we know apples lawyers aren't going to be going hungry or out of work anytime soon.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Jan 4, 2006
    Honolulu, HI
    Thats a joke...right?
  7. Moderator emeritus

Aug 16, 2005
    Well looking at my receipt from this summer when I bought a MacBook and iPod online it looks to only how last 4 of my credit card and no expiration date. So hmm ha. Though there were probably different points during the purchase that showed more info, but this was from the official sales receipt on their site for my purchase. Does this happen only for certain types of purchases or from certain locations?
  8. macrumors newbie

Jun 25, 2007
    There is a slight measure of credibility to the lawsuit, but perhaps could have been better handled by addressing it with Apple outside of the courts. That being said, many believe you cannot get the attention of a large corporation unless you sue them.

I am all for being better protected, but I don't see Apple doing things that will allow my identity to be stolen. I would prefer no numbers of my CC be shown, and other things done, but I am satisfied at the moment.
  9. macrumors newbie

Aug 8, 2007
    Never mind. The complaint is for on-line store orders, not emailed receipts from a brick-and-mortar Apple store. My bad.

10. macrumors member

Aug 1, 2007
    Well I just checked, the email they sent me on Mar 2, 2007 has no credit card information at all, just my billing address and full name. I checked the Order Status page, it has what type of card, and the last 4 digits, no exp date is shown. My full name and billing address is again shown, but thats no big deal.

I think this is a load of crap. Then again, maybe they follow the rules for Canada Store but not US Store (where I am assuming the suit is), but I highly doubt that.
  11. macrumors 68000

Nov 10, 2004
    People need to get out more rather than sue other people who have the knowledge and tenacity to get off their fat asses and do something to earn a living.
  12. macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2006
    Carlisle, Up Norf!
    I find it hard to believe that Apple would overlook something like this, actually.
  13. macrumors 65816

Aug 11, 2006
    Manchester, UK
    and where does it say the class would get $100 - $1000 each!?

I read point 27:

"However, plaintiffs do not seek to quantify or recover actual damages in this case. either for themselves or the class"

That says to me they are seeking no damages and are therefore taking Apple to court for the hell of it to get them to sort themselves out.
  14. macrumors 6502a

Apr 21, 2007
    New York, NY
    Let me say I'm not in favor of the lawsuit but I won't be returning any checks if they're sent my way. Purchased a MacBook Pro this May.
  15. macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    Nope, no joking here. AAPL was down 5.6% yesterday and looks to lose another 1.5% today. :(
  16. macrumors G5

Nov 25, 2005
    More importantly, many believe that lawyers can't get the money of a large corporation unless they sue them.
  17. macrumors 65816

Aug 11, 2006
    Manchester, UK
    That has nothing to do with this, the global share prices are falling sharply in the last couple of days on everything due to fresh worries about global credit. If you want to thank someone for that thank the US housing market!
  18. macrumors 6502a

k2k koos

Jan 21, 2003
    Somewhere between yesterday and tomorrow

Is a lawsuit really needed, or do I smell greed again??

Does it not suffice to complain, and persuade Apple to change the formatting of their billing, to avoid ID theft as much as possible?

I really am getting a little sick al these lawsuits nowadays, whatever or whoever it is, nobody seems to be able to work things out without the intervention of expensive lawyers, courts etc.... Where is the common sense people?? :apple:
  19. macrumors newbie

May 29, 2007
    I have Apple invoices going back to 2005. The oldest ones have only the last 4 digits. No credit card date. The newer ones didn't even have that. They did have my address to show where it was shipped to.

I also have plenty of other receipts from other companies showing only the last 4 digits.

I think this person needs to be told McDonald's has job openings instead of trying to make money by frivolous lawsuits.
  20. macrumors 6502

Oct 12, 2005
    I'm sure Apple didn't develop the POS system. I know they use different systems in different locations. I can't imagine that Apple really cares what data is on a receipt. They'll change the software and move on. Stupid lawsuit.
  21. macrumors 65816

Aug 11, 2006
    Manchester, UK
    Try reading the Legal document with this thread. It's two plaintiffs and evidence is attached to the document. And as i have already said i think Arn has the story wrong given article 27 in the document. They ARE NOT seeking damages.
  22. macrumors 6502a

Jan 4, 2006
    Honolulu, HI
    Deep 6 - to trash, drop in the briny 6 fathoms deep...etc...commonly misinterpreted to mean burying 6 feet under.
  23. macrumors 65816

Feb 12, 2006
    My receipt shows 4 digits and no expiration date...

If it were done where we could all go and collect money, how many of you would?

I wouldn't. I can't take money from Apple.;)
  24. macrumors regular

Jan 7, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    How is this even possible?

Is it really really necessary to go to court to get this sorted out (if there are anything to sort out at all?).
    I mean people post any kind of **** on Facebook, myspace and god knows... and now they're worried about a number on a receipt?

Watch out! Paranoia might get you!
  25. macrumors 6502a

does anyone have an receipt which shows the information in question?

I would like to know of those that do have this information on their receipt, if it was right around the time the bill was passed, and there was simply a delay from the bill passage to when apple's system was changed to comply.