Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple was conspicuously absent from commercial slots aired during the television broadcast of yesterday's Super Bowl 50, but that didn't stop some of its products from popping up in ads for other companies' wares (via AppleInsider).

In TV spots aired during the National Football League's biggest game, a shout-out for Apple Music featured at the end of T-Mobile's ad, which promoted the network carrier's unlimited streaming feature.

15823-12349-Screen-Shot-2016-02-07-at-73132-PM-l-1.jpg

Meanwhile, hawk-eyed viewers may have seen an Apple Watch make a brief cameo appearance in a Hyundai commercial showcasing the car company's smartphone-compatible automotive system Blue Link, which enables remote voice-activation of several in-car controls.

Elsewhere, a Super Bowl-themed ad for Apple's Beats headphones appeared on Twitter and YouTube, featuring Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton wearing a pair of Powerbeats Wireless 2 in-ear headphones while training.

Apple, along with Intel, Yahoo, and Google, gave $2 million in cash and other services to offset taxpayer costs of hosting Super Bowl 50, which took place at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California. In exchange for the donations, each company received a private Super Bowl suite and publicity around the game. TV commercials aired during the game however can cost up to $5 million alone.
Congrats @Millerlite40 Peyton Manning @Broncos Amazing season. pic.twitter.com/3RfQml832C - Tim Cook (@tim_cook) February 8, 2016
Apple helped establish the annual hype surrounding Super Bowl TV commercials, with its "1984" television ad for the Macintosh being among the most iconic in TV advertising history. After a 15-year spell of absence, the company ran its last dedicated Super Bowl commercial in 1999, remembered for its depiction of sentient computer HAL 9000 from the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Article Link: Ad-Less Apple Maintains Presence at Super Bowl 50

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
It is clear that Apple does not need to spend the ridiculous cost of a commercial spot in the Super Bowl. Their products are selling better than ever....

Except for iPads, and iPhones, ands Macs....

Other than that they don't need to advertise at all.

:D:p:rolleyes::apple:

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
It is clear that Apple does not need to spend the ridiculous cost of a commercial spot in the Super Bowl. Their products are selling better than ever....

I must've COMPLETELY misunderstood the last earnings call... will you please grace me with your intellect & interpret it for me??
I had NO idea that they hadn't really sold many Macs or iPhones, huh... weird.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I must've COMPLETELY misunderstood the last earnings call... will you please grace me with your intellect & interpret it for me??
Apparently Cuban Missles didn't put enough emoticons on his quote for you to realize it was a joke. Lighten up Francis. It wasn't an attack on Apple.
[doublepost=1454944067][/doublepost]
We may have not had a "1984" ad, but at least we got "puppy monkey baby."
That was the absolute weirdest thing I've ever seen. Being a case of beer down when it aired reaaaaally didn't help either.:D

Last edited:

rolsskk

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2008
I'd hardly say that Apple's lack of an ad was conspicuous, as they don't do an ad every year.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I had originally thought of adding a /s at the end but figured the emoticons would serve the same purpose. I don't know, had I gone the other way, that you would have reacted any different. Oh well. I am moving on. Hope you will as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 69Mustang

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY

Yeah, they're really struggling now. Wait...

linechart.png

Edit: I didn't realize this was sarcasm. It could've been more clear.

Reactions: milo

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008

He's obviously joking! But if not he probably refers to the decline of sales which is admitted by Apple recently. Although it declined but still impressive compared to the other companies.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Apple does not need no stinking Super Bowl ad. They can sell there warez on a street corner and people will buy it.

Mr. Donahue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
Just look at that bright pink ad. Surely the new iPhone rumored to be metallic pink is true?
Yuck!... Well hopefully it isn't the only new color.

Nabby

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
That was the absolute weirdest thing I've ever seen. Being a case of beer down when it aired reaaaaally didn't help either.:D

I was stone cold sober when it aired and it didn't make it any less disturbing/weird/awkward, etc!!!

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
The story I heard was it came down to a battle of the marketing egos where Apple left the date at the table and went home alone.

There was a theme of "feature Silicon Valley" in this year's Super Bowl but the local boys were not will to pay to play. The prices for everything were much higher than normal expecting the wealth of the region to cover the margins. It did not happen.
Apple was not the only one to balk at the prices not seeing the opportunity worth it. The game did make money and was profitable, however it never hit the expected projections.

Super Bowl 50 did not sell out with a few $100K+ suites and $3000+ seats empty. It was most noticeable at the halftime show where several seats in the stands did not have anyone there to hold up signs. There were people working nearby bars and restaurants selling tickets at cut rate prices after kickoff for a few hundred dollars trying to get anything back.

American Hero

Suspended
Jan 25, 2016
Would've been a great time to make a minute long commercial displaying Apple Pay.

Too bad Tim Cook is nothing but the cheapest CEO in the world. The most money of anyone at his disposal, yet, he uses as little as possible.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Would've been a great time to make a minute long commercial displaying Apple Pay.

Too bad Tim Cook is nothing but the cheapest CEO in the world. The most money of anyone at his disposal, yet, he uses as little as possible.
And if Apple did that there's be people saying Apple just pointlessly wasted so much money on an ad that could have been better spent. That they are greedy or something else of that nature. ;)

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009

That is how you keep your money. As many supply side economists have said over and over, "The impoverished are not poor due to lack of money, they are poor by spending too much."

Also, I would not place Tim Cook as the cheapest CEO out there. The money is spent well and for big companies, their waist is not that much compared to other outfits. One thing that does not get a lot of publicity is Steve Jobs fiscal policy that Apple follows to this day.

When you are greatly successful, it is amazing how many charity and other non-profits hound you down like a shark smelling blood in the water. Steve knew how to keep them at bay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.