Apple Superbowl Ad 2004?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Dec 22, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Last month's print version of Advertising Age reported that Apple was in talks with their Advertising agency, TBWA/Chiat/Day, about developing a 20th Anniversary Superbowl Advertisement "that would be reminiscent of "1984".

The "1984" Apple ad marked the introduction of the Macintosh and was originally aired during half-time at the 1984 Superbowl. The "1984" television ad has received critical acclaim, won numerous awards, and is ranked 12th amongst AdAge's Top 100 Advertising Campaigns of the 20th Century.

Due to the expense, however, there was reportedly some consideration to simply rerunning the "1984" ad. Concerns that younger viewers may not recognize the reference were, however, raised.

Apple had not purchased any Superbowl advertising spots at the time the Adage article (Pay Content) was published.

Regardless, Apple will at least appear in Pepsi-purchased advertisements which will air during the 2004 Superbowl to launch the Pepsi's 100 million iTunes song promotion.

Thanks to AppleMatters.com for referencing the original Advertising Age article.

2. macrumors newbie

well, if there's no apple ad, there goes my reason for watching the superbowl... i wonder if i can set tivo to keep commercials and delete the program...

3. macrumors 68000

crees!

I personally would like to see an all Apple ad.

4. macrumors member

The problem is, I wouldn't want them to run an ad that tried to hark back to the 1984 ad, but failed, thus tainting the original ad.

5. macrumors 65816

I personally think the original ad is more relevant than ever. Just change the person on the big screen to Bill Gates.

6. macrumors regular

I'd love to see an apple ad! I had a theory for a while that maybe the silhouettes in the iPod ads were famous musicians or singers (notice the seperation ^_^). Like a few of them could easily be Lenny Kravitz, Christina Aguilera etc. It would have been rad to have them emerge from the darkness to see who they really were in some superbowl commercials. I'm giving up on this theory as I wouldn't want Apple to get endorsements from melonheads like Aguilera, but mostly cause Frank Black is a little too round these days to be one of the silhouttes.

-----
    "we are not meant to be cogs in a system"
    -howard dean

7. macrumors member

Ya can't go past 1984!!

That was the best ad ever... 20 years and little else comes close to the mark!!

As for rumours... by the time the news filters through to the mainstream press its more than passe on sites like these... don't even bother reading the article..

As for what's coming.....

Refreshing the G5 line... yeah whatever..., new iPods... yeah wahtever...., more iTMS stuff... all good...

What's the new thing?? What is the rabbit that is going to be pulled out of the hat?? What is the next iPod?? Anyone??

Like Snagglepuss...... exits, stage left.....

8. macrumors regular

The "1984" ad is the best ad ever made. What's amazing is it only ran once, and is still the 12th highest-ranked campaign ever.

I've always been amazed and shocked that Apple didn't recycle the ad. I've got a nice local copy (don't remember where I found it, but it's around if you look), and view it now and then with amazement.

In 1984 it was a view of Big Brother, using IBM as Big Brother. Now we have Microsoft. The ad is perfectly appropriate now. Just change the narration and text at the end to a generic Apple promo and it's fine. It won't say "1984", because (as someone said) many people won't get the reference today. But something could be written to mean the same thing.

As a 60-second ad it won't be cheap during the Super Bowl. I don't care if they run it then or not (although it would be cool). They just need to use it.

9. macrumors regular

It was the lemmings ad and it was a complete failure. They promoted it like mad and no one liked it.

10. macrumors 68000

crees!

Anyone know where someone like myself could find this 1984 ad? Does Apple have it archived on their site?

11. tny
    macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure that I remember seeing the 1984 ad running at other times than just the Superbowl.

12. macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

http://www.uriah.com/apple-qt/1984.html

One of many places.

13. macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

I believe it ran locally in one or two places and I've seen it in reference to "best ads of all time" things, but I don't believe it ever ran nationally again.

Anyone else know differently.

14. tny
    macrumors 6502

Now that I've cached a local copy ....

http://www.uriah.com/apple-qt/1984.html

And please note that there are no direct references to IBM in the ad (though we all knew who they were talking about).

BTW, look at the audience at the end of the ad. Now, think about those G5 ads.

[edit: missed Jerry Spoon's posting of this link.
    ]

15. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

"Officially" it only ran once.

Unofficially, it was run on some local cable station in the wee hours of the morning to get it officially aired for consideration for the next ad awards or something. (I don't remember the details).

But beyond those two times, those were the only two times it was actually run "paid". News shows etc... ran it, of course... but that doesn't count

arn

16. macrumors 65816

Pepsi have just started showing pre-superbowl commericals.

Basically just shows the football stadium with football sfx in the background and states are you ready for this yrs football game? Then pauses and says we are.
    The screen then goes black with the Pepsi logo on it.

This to me say Pepsi is going to have a big commerical for the Superbowl when they have pre-superbowl commerials already on tv now.

17. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I think the 1984 commercial was great, although many think it made the wrong point at the time for a company that wanted to be accepted into the business world. Business users wanted compatibility (read: conformity) because it was safer, just as buying IBM was the safest decision for computer purchases. At the time, they said "nobody was ever fired for buying IBM" and today it applies to Wintel and Microsoft. Personally, I'm glad Apple has never lost the rebel/cool factor.

18. macrumors P6

~Shard~

I don't care if Apple reruns the ad, or shows a new one, but I definitely think an ad during the SuperBowl would be simply amazing! Can't wait to hear more about this one.

Oh, and I had never seen the original ad before - thanks to the members who posted the link here, it was pretty cool!

19. macrumors member

Wow, kinda makes me wanna read the book for some reason. But holy crat i wish i was alive to have seen that add. Of course even if apple were to make an ad our stupid cable companys would block it out like they do to every good superbowl add in the history of SB ads. All ive ever seen up here is crap during the SB.:mad:
    Oh well I'm still looking forward to the game. A 20th anniversary add would be a pretty good idea for apple. Re-Broadcasting the old one first may not be such a bad idea either. I dunno

20. macrumors P6

~Shard~

The book is amazing, I've read it twice actually - one of my all-time favorites.

As for not even being alive to see the ad, geez, you're making me feel old and I'm only 25! ;)

21. macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better

dude! do read 1984. makes you very suspicious!!

22. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

What does Superbowl air time cost this year? Maybe Apple shouldn't blow a year's worth of the advertising budget on one ad!

23. macrumors P6

~Shard~

Maybe Apple can just spend the profit they made on the 1100 Virginia Tech G5 PowerMacs for the ad. :cool:

24. macrumors 65816

Alot new movies have copied the 1984 ad. Watch the ad and then watch Equilibrium and you'll see what I mean.

I remember seeing the orig. 1984 add when it first aired and I was only 6 and half yrs old. It was replayed a couple more times on those *Best ever commerical shows*.

I could imagine the 04' stand alone commerical could be sortof like the 1984 commerical only updated and tweaked up a couple of notches or we could see an add they show cases all Apple products and uses in real life.

25. macrumors 65816

One good Superbowl ad is as good if not better then 5-6 avg commericals throughout the yr.
    Reason being folks talk about it the very next day and if it's catchy it becomes a fad all yr long. Remember the Budweiser Waaasaabiii ad's?? It was the catch phrase for the rest of the yr.