Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kelp

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2002
Seattle WA
This makes sense, Apple has been trying to clear out stock

It makes sense that they are going to release new PowerBooks soon, and the SuperDrive upgrade seems like a reasonable enhancement.

About a month ago Apple gave every employee signifigant disconts on some of their product line.

Each employee gets 6 discounts each, that they can give to their friends.

Thats how I got my 800Mhz G4 Titanium for a pretty good price. iBooks were also included in that discount. But I'm not sure what else had the price cuts.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
iDVD and external Firewire

I previously posted that iDVD doesn't support external DVD-R's

As reported on xlr8yourmac.com today, OWC has a iDVD enabler to make it work with thier firewire DVD-R drive.

I stand corrected.

Blackcat

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2002
Cirencester, UK
Re: iDVD and external Firewire

Originally posted by eric_n_dfw
I previously posted that iDVD doesn't support external DVD-R's

As reported on xlr8yourmac.com today, OWC has a iDVD enabler to make it work with thier firewire DVD-R drive.

I stand corrected.

The trouble is Apple don't sell iDVD, so there is no legal way to get it :(

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
uhhhhh ... omfg....

Since when do TiBooks have 20gb HDs??

your G4 350 was just burning, his Dual 1ghz powermac also IMPORTED the video and he added some iMovie effects, than reencoded it then burned it.

Apple DEFINETLY needs to upgrade there batteries, i mean SERIOUSLY if a PC laptop with aprocessor that takes 30 watts of heat can do 5 hours of battery life, how come my ibook with a processor that takes up 4 can only do 5 hours? WE NEED BIGGER BATTERIES!! lol.

Cool about the SuperDrive

AND Sony already has a laptop with a DVD burner, but the laptop is not a "laptop" its a desktop replacement, and is like 2" thick plus has a 16.2" Screen. Definetly not competition to a TiBook

Processors? arent they stepping up to 1ghz and 64mb DDR memory for the Radeon 7500?

...... what else??

iBooks rock the way they are, just put in a better video card and 200mhz DDR Memory which the ibooks support(well the processor not the chipset)

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Originally posted by jadam

Since when do TiBooks have 20gb HDs??
I bet that guy had an older rev of the tibook

Originally posted by jadam

Apple DEFINETLY needs to upgrade there batteries, i mean SERIOUSLY if a PC laptop with aprocessor that takes 30 watts of heat can do 5 hours of battery life, how come my ibook with a processor that takes up 4 can only do 5 hours? WE NEED BIGGER BATTERIES!! lol.
You've got to be kidding. Name one PC laptop that lasts 5 hours...even the Dells conk out in three hours. WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? I still want bigger, better batteries though :D

TechLarry

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
I've got the SuperDrive in my G4 iMac, which is the (previously) new Pioneer DVR-104 (DVD-R/RW).

It works perfectly, and I have NONE of the compatibility problems that my friends using DVD+RW on PC's have had with their discs playing on home players.

The DVD+RW can scream "We're a little bit faster" all they want, but it boils down to actually being able to do something with the discs you make, and in that case the DVD-R/RW drives are far superior.

Every single test I've read on the Net indicates problems with DVD+RW compatibility, and typically ZERO issues with DVD-R/RW.

My point is that Apple is making the right decisions here :)

TL

P.S. Having 4X is nice, and I'll get one for my PC, but burning DVD's is a "Start and walk away" process either way so it's not as important as one would think. The progress is nice, though, and the faster CDR burning speeds will definitely be welcome.

TechLarry

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
Re: Re: Could cost big bucks.

I know this isn't your doing, Eric. You just posted the info, so I'm not dogging you :)

"08/28/1995, PowerBook 5300c/100 (100 MHz PowerPC 603e): $4500 <--- Mac Trivia: The 5300 series are the infamous Mac's that caught on fire! "

Yep. One of them. In a Lab. Never was sold to a consumer.

This is the most over-blown legend in computing history :)

And it was a battery designed by Sony, not Apple, that was at fault.

TL

TechLarry

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
Re: Re: Could cost big bucks.

Originally posted by Wyvernspirit
So what you are saying is: The price on the current powerbooks is very reasonable if compared to earlier model years. Interesting...

IMHO, Apple's notebooks are priced BETTER than PC notebooks if you compare what you get for the money.

Take a look at a high-end IBM, Toshiba, etc... that are fully loaded bricks. They can be FAR more expensive than Apple's best TiBook and aren't nearly as compact or efficient.

They also aren't nearly as snazzy.

Desktop's are another story. Apple's prices are terrible compared to PC's.

TL

TechLarry

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: Power suckage ?

Originally posted by neilt

umm.....
isn't it more cost effective to use 2 700MB cd's at <50¢ instead of one DVD at $5?

neilt

If all you are copying is 701MB of data, of course it is.

If you have 4.3GB of data, though, or a Video file that is 4GB, that changes things.

One of the things I use my G4 iMac for is kind of novel. I use it to back up my two Win2K Servers. Until I had the iMac and DVD burner, I had no real affordable way to do it.

I'll say this much for toast (as much as I despise Roxio), it works damned well with Win2K Server Drives mounted on the Mac desktop :)

It's funny, the iMac was 1/2 the cost of a tape drive big enough to do these backups.

Of course, it takes time, and it's not automatedlike a DLT loader, but I'm not a rich corporation here :)

TL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.