Apple Suppliers Said to Be Ramping Up Component Production for Thinner, Faster iPad Air 2

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 3, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's supply chain partners have ramped up production for components to be used the company's upcoming second-generation iPad Air, reports Digitimes. Citing sources close to production, the report claims that the device will remained unchanged in terms of size and resolution, but will feature a thinner profile, faster processor, and an improved Touch ID fingerprint sensor.

[​IMG]
    iPad Air 2 mockup with Touch ID home button ​
    Apple has also called on touch panel suppliers TPK and GIS to manufacture full-lamination units for the device ahead of its launch this fall. The source also notes that Sharp, Japan Display, and LG Display have also seen their orders increase for the iPhone, likely indicating that Apple is now mass producing screens for the iPhone 6.

Previous leaks have also pointed to a thinner profile for the iPad Air 2, along with reports claiming that the device will feature anti-reflective coating, and an improved Touch ID sensor. It is also most certain that Apple will include a faster processor in the iPad Air 2, as the company will likely integrate its new A8 chip in the device.

Apple will likely launch the iPad Air 2 alongside the next-generation iPad mini with Retina display this fall. The company is also said to be preparing to launch a 12.9-inch iPad in early 2015.

Article Link: Apple Suppliers Said to Be Ramping Up Component Production for Thinner, Faster iPad Air 2

2. macrumors 6502a

JeffyTheQuik

I can't wait for the iPad Air 5, which will be thinner than a sheet of paper...:eek:

3. macrumors 68030

BvizioN

No thinner please! Make it 5 times as thick and have a full month long battery life :rolleyes:

4. macrumors 68000

Thinner? Started to doubt the 2gb of RAM we all want. Prove me wrong, Apple!

5. macrumors 6502

sshambles

Thickness-challenged?

This is definitely the iPad I'm upgrading to from the iPad 3.
    TouchID here I come.

6. macrumors 6502

battery life on the iPad is good, I think there's room for improvement in thinness and weight for iPad air. Mini is fine, but they can improve that too.
    I feel exactly the opposite for iPhone

Next iPad needs 2GB of RAM and touchID, I'd be very happy to have multiple users on the same iPad you can switch between by touchID, but I guess I'll have to wait for that.

7. macrumors 6502

We can all agree that thinner and lighter still is welcome on the iPad. The Air was a huge improvement in that area.

But on the iPhone it isn't. Maybe in bigger models, but the 4" is thinner and lighter enough. Battery is more important.

8. macrumors regular

mdridwan47

Thinner product means less volume and more profit. Simple mathematic.

9. macrumors 6502

Don't agree, the lighter the iPhone is, the less damage it will occur when dropped.

10. macrumors 6502

Godzilla71

iPad Air..........
    We can rebuild it. We have the technology. Make it better then before. Make it thinner,faster,stronger................... :p :apple:

11. macrumors 604

bushido

no real pen input no deal.

i like my iPad 3 for everything but productive purposes. taking notes on slides in class is super annoying and you can barely keep up to what is said so i always end up taking out my macbook. how great it would be if i could just write on it as natural as a piece of paper. i heard the galaxy notes come close to it?

12. macrumors regular

RayDonovan

Still waiting for my super thin roll-up screen iPad :rolleyes::rolleyes:

13. macrumors 6502

Menopause

FFS Apple it's thin enough right now!

14. macrumors 68000

You can buy pens for iPad from other companies. Also, you can buy a keyboard dock/use Apple's wireless keyboard if typing on a touch screen is proving difficult.

15. macrumors 6502

a.roden

No it's not :D:D

16. macrumors 6502

I've tried them. It isn't close at all.

It still doesn't come close to what you can do with a Galaxy note, for example. And that still doesn't come close to writing naturally.

17. macrumors 68040

Thinner and lighter?

18. macrumors 65816

japanime

If your experience is like mine, you're going to love TouchID.

I was skeptical at first, and really didn't think TouchID would make any difference in how I used my iOS devices. But after I bought an iPhone 5s, unlocking my iPad mini seems like such a chore.

(Yes, I know, it's a First World problem. But nonetheless...)

19. macrumors 6502

allanfries

Sorry, I only do Thick!!

20. macrumors 6502

It's not thin enough until the camera sticks out.

21. macrumors 6502a

after using a current ipod touch a bunch, I couldn't disagree more. Thinner and lighter please! I don't want less battery life, but I surely don't want it fatter for more.

----------

Touch ID isn't just faster and easier than a passcode, it's faster and easier than slide to unlock! :cool:

22. macrumors 6502a

ipad desperately needs at least 2 GB of rom upgrade, anything else is just waste of money...

23. plumosa, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2014

macrumors regular

plumosa

this can't come soon enough, my iPad 2 **** itself yesterday and won't connect to wifi, 3g or iTunes whilst plugged in. It still turns on and I can use apps, but no browsing. :/

24. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thinner what a surprise - didn't see that one coming :rolleyes:

25. macrumors 604

bushido

i have a pen but its not sensitive enough on the display. you always have to write a few mm from where u actually want it and it doesnt work if u have small hand writing like me. i also bought the apple bluetooth keyboard but that was annoying too going back and forth between tapping on the screen to navigate then going back to the keyboard to write.