Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Timmy's design vision is getting so old. Every new version is "make it a little faster, make it a little thinner, repeat".

Timmy's design vision? Steve Jobs did nothing else with the iPhone. Also, he didn't do anything else with the iPod since the first one was released. Why should Tim Cook change an obviously highly successful approach?

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
no real pen input no deal.

Agreed.

Apple had stylus input on MessagePad 20 years ago. Stylus was onboard. Note taking was efficient. Handwritten notes were converted to text with one tap of the stylus. Too bad that is not available now.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
It's not thin enough until the camera sticks out.

You guys that are freaking out about the camera are being pathetic. As has been said a billion times already, the iPod touch has it protruding and it doesn't bother anyone there...

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
What does 'this fall' mean?

Isn't it fall already?
And when does fall end? Christmas?
So you actually mean some time before Christmas?

Yikes dude... Fall starts on September 22nd and ends on December 21st.

School school school!

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Have you tried any of the "active" styluses though? Like the Jot Touch or the Hex 3 Jaja?

I've used the Wacom and Jot Script, as well as numerous passive styli... they work fine for drawing or slow, large movements. They are terrible at writing for any length of time. The iPads digitizer isn't high enough resolution to recognize the fine movements necessary to capture handwriting unless you write abnormally large.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Don't comment that I didn't mention storage if you're going to call it a TL;DR. Read it or move along. I often write in-depth comments. Sometimes these turn into interesting discussion and PMs with others on the forum. I briefly wrote for 9to5Mac while in college, and sometimes still work with Mark on stories. Most of my post was pointing out that there is overlap of different powered…never mind this is probably too long and/or difficult for you to comprehend. ;)

Glad you don't work for 9 to 5 anymore! They dodged that smug bullet!!!!
Your list was ridic. It had NO basis in reality. It was a heap of nonsensical numbers....
Moving on as suggested. ;)

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Glad you don't work for 9 to 5 anymore! They dodged that smug bullet!!!!
Your list was ridic. It had NO basis in reality. It was a heap of nonsensical numbers....
Moving on as suggested. ;)

You still don't read, do you? I still work with them on occasion. I just wrote that, and yet you didn't read it. I never worked for them in the sense of a typical employment arrangement. It was for fun while in college. You basically setup an adsense account and put an ad in your story. Make a little extra cash. Not sure what's so smug about me calling you out for not reading comments and then complaining about said comments.

Heap of nonsensical numbers? You do realize that all of the prices I listed, save for the iPhone Air, iPad Pro, and iWatch are actual numbers, right? And the iWatch numbers have been heavily rumored in that range, along with the iPhone 5.5" at $100 more. I was listing them all out so that everyone could see how these new products would fit into Apple's existing pricing structure. They were ordered by screen size, descending. They show overlap between sizes of different classes of devices. Which product lineup makes more sense?

Two MBP sizes, two MBA sizes, one iPad Pro size, two iPad sizes, two iPhone sizes, two iWatch sizes.

or

Two MBP sizes, two MBA sizes, two iPad Pro sizes, two iPad sizes, two iPhone sizes, two iWatch sizes.

I'm no marketing expert, but I do have a minor in marketing, and think option two seems reasonable.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
They're too thin now.

To bring out the rumored iPad Pro form factor with this thickness is asking for recalls. A higher stiffness and lower brittle structure will be required, thus raising the mass and material density.

I have zero interest in the iPad without double the RAM, A8 with an even better ImgTec GPGPU in the iPad over the iPhone 6.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
What are the advantages to having a laminated display other than the device being thinner? :confused:

Lamination closes the gap between the screen and the glass, making it seem as if you're touching the actual letters/images on the screen. I recall some folks complaining that the iPad Air seemed to have a bit of a gap and that it wasn't as nice as the previous iPads - this should fix that.

Lamination also slightly reduces glare, making the device easier to use in sunlight (but only slightly).

Codestud

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
The iPad Air is thin enough IMO and I think it's getting a lot harder to justify making it thinner for the sake of it.

My personal experience is that going from my iPad 3 to the Air actually felt like holding a less well built device, because ironically the thinner structure feels more flimsy.

I'll probably still buy the iPad Air 2 though because I'll be sucked in yet again.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
The Solstice etc are based on a lunisolar calendar, which is why they have a give or take. Same with some holidays like Easter. Unlike Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas etc which are either a set date (Dec 25) or a set day (first monday of Sept, 4th Thursday of November), Easter is first Sunday after the first full moon following the March equinox. Because of this, the date can be a huge variation. I believe Passover, Chanukah etc are on similar systems.

----------

The amount of RAM in a device is not the whole score. if the software system can't use it well then you could have 20GB of ram in there and still have issues. On the flip, if the system can use the RAM well, having 'less' isn't an issue. I suspect that with Metal we will see a huge improvement in how iOS uses RAM so perhaps this whole "If it doesn't have X GB it is crap" should wait until we actually see the performance

There's no need to wait. I already know how 1GB performs and it's not acceptable, particularly for a new device being released in 2014. Sorry, but I'm not delusional enough with my fanboyism to fool myself into thinking that Apple is going to work a miracle with IOS8 that will not only have it be more capable than IOS7, but be so much more efficient that all the RAM limited issues with current iPads will no longer exist. I'd rather live in reality, not fantasy.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
A detail that you would have known if you did a little research before spending your money. So why buy a product that doesn't fit your needs.

As for controlling a product made from one system with a totally different system, you should have expected that. Why would you think that a device created and advertised as compatible with iOS could do anything on any other system. it would have said it was compatible with that system if it could.

Don't blame Apple for your ill advised expectations or that a third party company didn't design their products to work with both systems

Do not talk what you do not know...

IT HAPPENS that Roland, Korg, Native Instruments have to develop certain softwares to work around that issue via wi-fi and so. So, it is not a problem of incompatibility, it is more stupidity of Apple. There is a need and they have the capability locked.

40 years ago the first synthesizers used to work with analog signals until late 70's something called MIDI was developed and it has been maintained in version 1.0 since then. It is the most used computer language that still in its first version yet. And Apple is not allowing you to used it via USB from the iPad.

So, every manufacturer have been developing their own work around and they do not work good over wi-fi.

Sorry, but you are giving your opinion about a topic that goes over your head.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
I agree. Enough is enough. The Air is perfectly sized as far as weight, feel in hand, and overal sveltness are concerned. Much more and it's going to get a little dodgy, IMO.

I was planning on staying with my Air anyways due to their not being enough of a reason to update and I don't have upgradeitis. But, at some point how much ya bet they end up going back to a little heavier, thicker iPad?

This paper thin thing is a fad. You'll see.

dkmb86g_487pr55s2hc_b.jpg

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
I agree. Enough is enough. The Air is perfectly sized as far as weight, feel in hand, and overal sveltness are concerned. Much more and it's going to get a little dodgy, IMO.

I was planning on staying with my Air anyways due to their not being enough of a reason to update and I don't have upgradeitis. But, at some point how much ya bet they end up going back to a little heavier, thicker iPad?

Lol you're kidding right? You actually think devices are going to get thicker in the future?

If there's one thing I hate about MR it's the incessant whining whenever Apple makes a device thinner. You'd think everyone would get the trend by now and be used to it. :rolleyes:

panther quest

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2013
Canada
Ahh thanks, I actually haven't tried that one- but the Jaja's teflon tip seems better than any of the rubber tips i've tried (and they're coming out with a new rubber tipped stylus that has a rubber tip option, but it's one of the smallest ones I've seen).

The YUFU looks pretty nice too.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Haha that's nothing compared to the original iPod boxes :D Such a waste of space! Reminds me of the old PC game boxes which were the size of 3 textbooks and inside was just a single CD jewel case!

If MR users had their way every mobile device would still be as thick as that iPod. :p

Chad-VI

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2014
It will be 1mm thinner. As thin as the Tab S.

The camera and volume buttons will be moved.

The Air Cases won't fit.

That's all there is to it.

They did it with the bumper cases for the iPhone 4s. The 4s buttons moved from the iPhone 4.

Here are the iPhone 4 bumpers vs the 4s bumpers

Yeah , you're right , I never noticed the different iPhone 4s bumper before. My bad , but why would apple redesign the iPad so early ? ( just a year later)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.