Apple Suppliers 'Scrambling' to Produce Enough iPhone 6 Displays After Issues With New Backlight

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 22, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's supply chain is scrambling to get enough displays ready for the iPhone 6 ahead of its launch next month, reports Reuters.

[​IMG]
    Front panel said to be from the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 ​
    The report notes that production issues were made prevalent when the backlight film for the device's display panel had to be redesigned, halting production for two months:
    After the backlight film component was revised, Apple reportedly rejected it and went back to add the second layer to the panel causing a delay. As it stands, production of the display has resumed as suppliers are attempting to work quickly to make up for lost time before the device's launch.

Concerns over the iPhone 6's backlight design surfaced last month from supply chain, which also suggested that Apple's desire to use only one backlight film to minimize the size of the handset would cause production delays. Current generation iPhone displays are supplied by Minebea and use two layers in order to improve readability in these backlit displays.

In a single layer setup for the device's display, one layer has to be of a very high quality to take the place of the standard second layer. To meet the demand for the part, Apple had allegedly gone to OMRON and Radian to add them as suppliers alongside Minebea, however the outcome of that effort is not known. Previous reports of production issues surrounding the iPhone 6 had pinpointed challenges with the device's in-cell touch panel and metal casings.

Apple is expected to unveil the iPhone 6 at an event on September 9, with a launch for the 4.7-inch version likely come a week later. It is unclear if the 5.5-inch version will ship at the same time, as Apple is also said to be experiencing other production issues with the larger device. Both models of the iPhone 6 will likely feature a thinner, rounded chassis and incorporate a new A8 processor, a refined camera, and iOS 8.

Article Link: Apple Suppliers 'Scrambling' to Produce Enough iPhone 6 Displays After Issues With New Backlight

2. macrumors 6502

Wasn't Cook supposed to be the expert at this kind of thing? Between the ugly design and the supply issues, I Miss Jobs :(

3. macrumors 68020

An iPhone 6 rumour a day keeps the boredom away.

4. macrumors regular

The design won't be ugly. We haven't seen a finished model yet, but expect it to be sexy. Apple will make it that way. The lines will likely fit well with the metal in the finished product.

It's Apple. Design is core. :apple:

5. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Great, issues with the back light. That makes me want to jump in on the pre-order line. Perhaps this time its not worthwhile to be on the bleeding edge.

6. macrumors 68000

VulchR

If this rumor is true, I presume a second layer would also consume more energy. Thus, you might see this as a cost of an obsession with thinness - delays, and reduced battery life.

7. macrumors 6502

They're willing to torpedo the product over millimeters? :eek:

8. macrumors 68000

keysofanxiety

Awesome pun. :cool:

9. macrumors 65816

This just guarantees those who want to be holding an iPhone 6 on launch day will have to make sure they are at the front of the queues. If Apple doesn't do pre-orders I'll be camping out for sure.

10. macrumors 6502a

Meh.
    Expect a rushed product riddled with flaws and defects to satiate public demand.
    Think we will ever see the day when a new iPhone doesn't come out every year? God forbid they take their time over say, 2 years!? Oh my! :rolleyes:

11. macrumors 6502

Dilster3k

How about... Just checking if everything works before mass producing a whole bunch of them?

12. macrumors member

Oh, the obsession. This is getting ridiculous.

13. macrumors 6502

bananas

Pushing the limits until you fail is the only way to achieve the maximum.

14. macrumors 6502a

marvz

That's brilliant! You should email this to Tim ASAP.

..how people think they are smarter than Apple's best managers and executives.:mad:

15. macrumors 68000

keysofanxiety

Now now marvz, it's quite obvious that the user knows all the ins-and-outs of Apple's supply chain, and isn't making pedantic remarks based on loose rumours. :rolleyes: ;)

16. macrumors 601

goobot

You do realize that the numbered models are made over a 2 year period, right?

17. macrumors regular

'Production issues' is the standard excuse for any vague 'delay' rumour. At some point Apple will have redesigned the backlight and the suppliers will have said that they can manufacture it to that specification. We'll see if there's any 'delay' in September.

18. macrumors 6502

I guess what Apple really meant with "'Can't innovate' my ass!" was actually "'Can't make it thinner!' my ass!". Because that's pretty much Apple's plans for iPhone innovation: make it slightly faster, slightly thinner and with a slightly better camera, and call it "revolutionary".

Well, people do have been saying for years that they want bigger iPhones... And now it looks like Apple's "best managers" agree those people were right! :eek:;)

19. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

My thought exactly. Maybe wait until November and see what issues there are. If there are issues maybe they will be resolved or at least addressed in a second 'batch'.

20. macrumors member

Remember the white iPhone 4? Delayed for month? And I think Jobs were very much involved in that

21. macrumors 6502a

marvz

But we are talking about supply chain management and production.
    And I also don't think they agree with them, I think they just want more money and marketshare :p;)

22. macrumors 68020

It doesn't sound like faulty panels will get shipped, but rather because of a fault the factories are now behind on production. Which, considering Apple placed huuuggeee orders for iPhones, might not be as bad as first thought.

----------

I think it hit ridiculous level when Steve Jobs wanted the factory machines painted white, and kept so clean you could eat your dinner off them. However, that's why we love Apple, right?

23. macrumors 6502a

RightMACatU

Take your time boys... the cheapest way of fixing this is before shipping :)

24. wilhelmer, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014

macrumors member

I'd take the obsession with white over the obsession with "function-follows-form-thinness" anyday.

25. macrumors 601

Plutonius

Pump and dump. Now that Apple's stock price has gone up, we need some negative rumors for clicks and to cause Apple's stock price to go down so people who short the stock will make lots of money. Expect many more negative rumors.