Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently removed Support Profiles from its website, redirecting the page to a new "Get Support" tool that similarly enables customers to check their technical support and service coverage status for iPhones, iPads, Macs, and other Apple products they own. There is, however, one notable difference.

apple-get-support.jpg

The new "Get Support" tool only lists Apple products signed into any given Apple ID, whereas the old Support Profiles page allowed customers to add additional products, including those owned by others. The change is cumbersome for families in particular, as managing multiple devices is now more difficult.

The main concern is that users may only have one Apple ID associated with a given device at a time, so now the only way to manage multiple devices is to manually sign in and out of multiple Apple IDs on the website. While not a major problem, a number of MacRumors readers have emailed us with negative feedback about the change.

support-profile.png
Apple Support Profiles had an "Add Products" option (Image: iPhone-Tricks)

The change also prevents non-iCloud devices such as older iPods from being added to the list. Users can manage their devices on their Apple ID account page.

Article Link: Apple Replaces Support Profiles With New Tool That Only Shows Devices Signed Into Your Apple ID

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Ever since they redesigned the site not too long ago, the entire support part is horrendous. Getting repairs and support used to be quick and easy. Now you have to jump through hoops and they don't have accessory support easy to find.
And it's crazy that you can't even use the app to schedule genius appointments anymore.

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
And it's crazy that you can't even use the app to schedule genius appointments anymore.
I tried using the new support portal online to change my genius bar reservation... only to get errors to try again every day until the 4 days that passed until my appointment, and it still wouldn’t let me cancel even after the date passed. In all, a piss poor service on Apple’s part, especially since people looking for this portal likely are pissed off at them already needing servicing.
My appointment was held and reserved for 6 days even though I wanted to cancel it, no wonder why my local store is booked more than my doctors office... they can’t cancel!

BigCLC

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
The page that shows up for me shows none of my devices. Clicking the link that is listed to manage them on the apple id site shows...surprise all of my devices! Of course there is no way to make them appear on the get support page.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Hmmm, not sure this was a well thought out change. What happens to my AirPort routers? They were on my Support Profile but aren't signed into any Apple IDs. Also, Apple TVs can be linked to multiple Apple IDs simultaneously. How are they handling that?

Reactions: sidewinder3000

Speedman100

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2013
I guess you can't use the website anymore to meticulously track your new iPhone as it gets shipped to you.

Reactions: chr1s60

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Ugh, I never realised how much I relied on Support Profile until it went. With it now only supporting signed-in devices, how am I supposed to keep track of serials and support coverage for my accessories like AirPorts and Apple Pencil?

Apple support tools have been an absolute mess recently. They seem to have been transitioning to the new tools for a year or so, breaking both new and old systems in the process.

And the icing on the cake - only my two Macs are showing on the device list, despite all of my devices correctly showing on the Apple ID page and in the Apple Store app. So if I drop my phone tomorrow, it wouldn't even be possible for me to start a support request online. Great job Apple.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
I miss the good old days of Apple customer support. The time when fewer people owns Apple computers, iPods and early versions of iPhones. I heard stories including a friend of mine walking to Apple Store without warranty and Apple just replaced his iPad. I used to visit the mall and stopped by the store and they'll entertain you right away. I feel so special back then having the first class and quick service. Now people pays $129 and brags how Apple gets their appointments days later, and Apple fix their iPhones for only $99 instead of paying full price. Time has changed Apple got bigger making more money than ever now we're getting less. I tend not to visit their store anymore when I go to the mall because it's crowded all the time. Makes me wonder what's next with Apple?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I'm not sure I've ever heard of or seen Support Profiles, but these changes do sound like a real mess for no good reason!

Reactions: autrefois

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
Of All of my Apple equipment the only 2 that show are the 2 that I had (or have) Apple Care on. My new iPhone 7 + is nowhere to be seen. All of the devices show on the Apple Id page.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
One thing I like is that used iOS devices aren't left stuck on someone else's support profile thanks to this change.

Too many times, I would buy a used device and try adding it to my profile only to see that it had already been linked to another Apple ID, and not in any way related to iCloud. That made it feel like my devices weren't fully mine.

Then going to the Apple Store for service on a used phone would have it show up with someone else's name registered to it. They really should have removed Support Profiles once Activation Lock became a thing.

slesherinyork

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Agree WTF are they thinking... tried to use it this afternoon and wondered where all my and family's stuff disappeared too. I was upgrading an Apple Edition watch I just received this afternoon to 3.1 and it bricked it and had to search for my serial number after learning they changed the once simple process. Shared experience with the advisor and he made note. They seemed to be learning it too and was surprised. On the plus side my replacement will be here tomorrow so it least the outcome was positive.

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
There are increasingly few aspects and experiences at Apple that are satisfactory enough to warrant giving them my money. The last two times I've been to the genius they wouldn't even really help me besides pointing me to buy newer, less capable devices. I'm well over it at this point and none of it is surprising anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.