Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ibooks-icon.png
Apple is asking the United States Supreme Court to overturn the 2013 U.S. Appellate Court ruling that found the company guilty of conspiring with publishers to inflate the prices of e-books, reports Reuters.

Apple's petition comes following the loss of a June appeal where the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit upheld the guilty verdict and maintained Apple violated antitrust laws and colluded with five publishers - HarperCollins, Simon and Schuster, Hachette Book Group, Macmillan, and Penguin - to fix e-book prices and unreasonably restrain trade.
Apple in its petition said the June decision by the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York contradicted Supreme Court precedent and would "chill innovation and risktaking."

"The Second Circuit's decision will harm competition and the national economy," Apple wrote.
Should the U.S. Supreme Court uphold the lower court's verdict, Apple will be forced to pay $450 million as part of a settlement with class action lawyers and state district attorneys, with $400 million of that amount earmarked for consumers. Apple reached the settlement in June of 2014 to avoid a lengthy damages trial, but the payout hinged on the outcome of the company's appeal.

Though Apple was found guilty, the company has maintained its innocence throughout the dispute. In its appeal, Apple said its efforts "kick-started competition" to deliver "higher output, lower price levels, and accelerated innovation."

Article Link: Apple Asks U.S. Supreme Court to Overturn Guilty Verdict in E-Books Antitrust Case

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
I've never understood how Apple was found guilty for this when the same ebook was the same price in the Google Play Book store.

It was the same price because Apple struck a price fixing deal with the major book publishers, which is what the lawsuit was about - breaking up the price monopoly. I was an early adopter in reading ebooks and I noticed a sharp spike in book prices after Apple's deal.

Reactions: Substance90

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
How exactly did Amazon screw the publishers?

Amazon has been accused in the past of a few things. From Predatory pricing in order to drive other business out of the market to essentially holding publishers "hostage" by refusing to sell their materials without agreeing to their heavily Amazon sided contracts, abusing their near digital monopoly on e-book sales.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
If I get charged with running a red light, can I revisit the case and ask that my conviction be overturned?
Yes you could, and if you show up in court and are still found guilty you could appeal it although the cost of the lawyers to do so would likely be more than the cost of just paying the ticket and you wouldn't have the best odds of getting it overturned on appeal.

Reactions: Lazy and mrxak

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
Amazon has been accused in the past of a few things. From Predatory pricing in order to drive other business out of the market to essentially holding publishers "hostage" by refusing to sell their materials without agreeing to their heavily Amazon sided contracts, abusing their near digital monopoly on e-book sales.
thabks. Much better than my lame answer :)

Reactions: Lazy

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Something like 99% of cases sent to the Supreme Court simply get declined... I think Psystar was a bigger deal than this is (the company that was selling PCs with OS X preinstalled) but they got declined by the Supreme Court... I seriously doubt the Supreme Court will bother with this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.