Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

icloud_icon_text.jpg

As noted by Engadget, Apple has informed customers that Push email service has been suspended for iCloud and MobileMe customers in Germany due to successful patent litigation by Motorola Mobility.
Affected customers will still receive iCloud and MobileMe email, but new messages will be downloaded to their devices when the Mail app is opened, or when their device periodically fetches new messages as configured in iOS Settings. Push email service on desktop computers, laptop computers, and the web is unaffected, as is service from other providers such as Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync.
Mail services are otherwise available for both iCloud and MobileMe, but mail must be fetched manually or at a certain interval of time.

Motorola won the injunction in early February, and was able to enforce it by posting a 100 million euro bond. Apple is appealing the decision and Motorola may be liable for some amount of damages if it is later overturned. Apple states in the support document that it believes Motorola's patent is invalid and is appealing the decision.

Article Link: Apple Suspends iCloud/MobileMe Push Email in Germany Due to Lawsuit

Madmats

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2011
Nej det är väl inte mögligt?

How about them Apples? All these patent things need to stop. Now. It's way over the silly line.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

As noted by Engadget, Apple has informed customers that Push email service has been suspended for iCloud and MobileMe customers in Germany due to successful patent litigation by Motorola Mobility.Mail services are otherwise available for both iCloud and MobileMe, but mail must be fetched manually or at a certain interval of time.

Motorola won the injunction in early February, and was able to enforce it by posting a 100 million euro bond. Apple is appealing the decision and Motorola may be liable for some amount of damages if it is later overturned. Apple states in the support document that it believes Motorola's patent is invalid and is appealing the decision.

Article Link: Apple Suspends iCloud/MobileMe Push Email in Germany Due to Lawsuit

Yeah, why don't just sue Google over their Google Sync Push Mail too?

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Yeah, why don't just sue Google over their Google Sync Push Mail too?
Licensing, perhaps. You're allowed to use someone elses **** as long as you just get an agreement going about it - something Apple are notorious for refusing.

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
"No, it can't be moldy" in Swedish?

Using my knowledge of German to read his Swedish, I would have to say he probably said something to the effect of "No, it can't be possible"

Also:

Det är inte sant. Det är omöjligt!

Sök dina känslor, du vet att det är sant!

NEJ!

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
So are they going to sue RIM as well? Maybe sue MS because their exchange servers push.

Or is this strictly an 'out to get Apple' tactic?

WvB22

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
This is getting old. It's about time that Apple does something with that billions of dollars. Why did they let Google snug away with Motorola. Apple could see this coming for miles but still they're acting like a little school kid that wants to be right at everything you throw at him. This is crippling the iCloud service in a big way. No push email on iPhone with iCloud is a huge deal. I'm really starting to wonder why all tech companies are bashing on Apple this hard. Is it just because they know a big jar of honey is in Apple's faults or is it because of Apple's notoriously bad licensing habits. I bet it's a combination of both. Good times to be a lawyer firm working for Apple.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-gb; Galaxy Nexus Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) CrMo/16.0.912.75 Mobile Safari/535.7)

With the workarounds posted, this seems little more than a minor inconvenience from my perspective.

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
iDislike :mad:

... ONE point of having a smart phone is to let do it some of my brains work even when it is easy to bypass. I just set 'get email' to a 15min interval. Even important email can wait 15min ;)

I know Apple is going to pay whatever it will take to get push back so I will sit this one out :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.