Apple SVP Bob Mansfield Leaving Exec Team; Will Work on 'Special Projects' Reporting to Tim Cook [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 28, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple Senior Vice President Bob Mansfield has been removed from Apple's Leadership website in the past 24 hours with no explanation.

Update: According to AllThingsD:
    Mansfield is currently Senior Vice President of Technologies reporting directly to Tim Cook, a position he took last October, overseeing a group focused on innovation in wireless technology and semiconductors.

His page has been completely removed from Apple's website, though it is still visible on Google's cache.

Last year, Apple announced that Mansfield would be retiring, but several months later announced he would instead be staying at the company. Later, it leaked that Tim Cook had faced an "insurrection" after Mansfield announced his retirement, and Cook gave him an extremely generous benefits package.

At the time, it was reported that Mansfield had committed to stay at Apple through at least 2014, influenced in no small part by the departure of former iOS chief Scott Forstall.

Mansfield has been instrumental in Apple's success in recent years, overseeing the development of the very successful MacBook Air notebooks, as well as recent iPhone and iPad designs.

Article Link: Apple SVP Bob Mansfield Leaving Exec Team; Will Work on 'Special Projects' Reporting to Tim Cook [Updated]

2. macrumors member

Surely nothing too surprising, especially after he took all those $millions of shares to persuade him to stay! :eek:

3. macrumors 68040

4. macrumors 6502a

brock2621

5. macrumors member

Narrator Jack

If they can discontinue Bob Mansfield, they can discontinue previous iPhone models.

6. macrumors 601

HiRez

7. macrumors 68040

mavis

So he milked Apple as much as he could, and now he's either 1) moving on or 2) retiring. Either way, smart guy!

8. macrumors 6502

Wait... Weren't those "$millions of shares" there to keep him there? They call them golden handcuffs for a reason.

9. macrumors member

That dude needed to go. Next should be the dbag that said "can't innovate my ass". Douchiest line ever

10. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No official word that he's gone, right? If he is gone then I suppose those handcuffs aren't all that tight. ;) He's a smart man if he got what he could from Apple.

11. macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

12. macrumors 6502a

iLilana

Well

If he is retiring then this is a no brainer.

13. macrumors regular

I wonder what sort of guy will take over his place

14. FrizzleFryBen, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013

macrumors 6502

Certainly not arguing he didn't make a large fortune thus far. Just pointing out that if he does leave early, breaking a contract, his generous compensation to stay longer would likely go away. Then again, like you said, we don't know if he's gone. (my words) --->Or if he is, who is the responsible party.

15. macrumors 6502

Pigumon

Fat Hands, Sharp Edges

NOW I get why the iPads' edges are so uncomfortable. This guy has fat hands, the sharp edges probably just squish in like a pillow. The edge discomfort probably never entered his mind. I have thin, large hands and those sharp edges are horrible to hold! I have to use a soft case on my iPad.

Get a thin guy in there to design an iPad EVERYONE can hold without discomfort. :D

16. macrumors member

richeyty

More website errors for apple? If so, that would suck. How many people have to hack apple?

17. TennisandMusic

18. macrumors 6502a

Glassed Silver

Mansfield is one of my top 3 executives at Apple.
    If he goes, well... ****

Glassed Silver:mac

19. macrumors regular

20. macrumors 68030

Guess it was time to spend all that money. I didn't mind in him the product vids, he seemed like a cool guy!

21. macrumors regular

i Think Bob saw those leaked pictures of the iPhone 5C and decided to call it quits....

22. macrumors regular

Bob told Tim that his Safari is not snappy enough, and the rest is history.

23. macrumors 6502a

thefourthpope

Whoa. Who's gonna look like Balmer at the keynotes?

24. macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

25. macrumors 603

Technarchy