Apple System Profiler

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Eckslusive, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Eckslusive macrumors 6502

After updating to OS 10.2.3, my Apple Profiler won't work! It just gathers and then does an error and then it quits.
    Maybe its not 10.2.3, ..would it be the USB hubs i have on the computer? i dont know.
    i think it is 10.2.3.
    I've tried taking the USB hubs out. and it still doesn't work.
    I haven't installed any new hardware...

does anyone have this problem or know what to do about it??

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Similar problem here - since i installed safari, profiler won't start at all. No error, it appears in the dock, bounces once, then disappears. rather frustrating, but not deadly or anything. Have you also installed safari? i know for a fact profiler worked for me since i upgraded to 10.2.3, so at least in my case that's not it...

:)
    pnw

edit: hell, look at that... since the latest safari version, profiler works perfectly again. guess i should have checked. sorry!

3. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Do you get an error number? What message (if any) is displayed?

Dan

4. Eckslusive thread starter macrumors 6502

The application Apple System Profiler has unexpectedly quit.
    The system and other applications have not been affected

thats the msg...no error number...

btw...when you get an error with an error number..where can you go to check what that means?

5. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

In this case, you could try to trash some preference files. Other than that, it's really hard to troubleshoot applications not launching (maybe something was installed improperly).

Try backing up your /Library/Preferences and ~/Preferences and just deleting the whole folders. Restart and see if that does anything. If not, just replace the folders with the backed-up ones.

In regards to the question about looking up the error codes, Mac OS X doesn't really have debugging information anymore. When something is malfunctioning, you always get the same dialog box. The program Black & Bleu has records of what some X long error codes mean (presumably the kernel dump or console log errors).