Apple Tablet Computer..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by netytan, Jun 17, 2004.

1. netytan macrumors 6502

May 23, 2004
    I was just reading an article about the demise of the desktop computer and it occured to me that Apple doesn't currently have a Tablet Computer right?

Which begs the question of why not, they look really cool and Apple being at the for-front of the digital world in most cases i just kinda expected to see one :). That would be so damn cool i have to say, maybe soon? Or do Apple have some reason to stay away from these things?

Later guys,

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i doubt that we will see an apple tablet for a while, if at all, there just isnt a large enough market for these types of machines yet
  3. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

Feb 20, 2004
    in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    :eek: Tablet PCs look terrible and are less marketable than a mini-disc unit smelling of kippers.

Apple are keeping well away from such a money-pit.
  4. DGFan macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    Why not?

There is no reason to buy no one is.

That's why
  5. legion macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2003
    Apple has said they won't be going into tablet PCs because there isn't a market for it.

(BTW, it's "forefront")
  6. svenr macrumors regular

May 6, 2003
    I heard a while ago that MS originally made sort of wireless displays that connect to a desktop for storage and computing power. Without own HD, DVD and powerful CPU, that would be nice, slim and light units, which you can take to your sofa to read an e-book, surf the web, take notes etc.

Then they realized that such units wouldn't require a full Win XP license, but could get by with a much cheaper WinCE/PocketPC version. They figured it would cannibalize XP sales, because families, small offices etc would buy only one full PC with XP and several displays. So they shelved the idea and instead came out with the current TabletPC, which requires a full Win license.

Now, if Apple isn't as stubborn, I think there's a good opportunity. Something like the Cintiq from Wacom but wireless:
  7. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    It's so true.

Notebook computers now comprise 54% of the comsumer computer market, and tablet PC's comprise less than 1% of the market. Why would apple invest all the R&D, and marketing dollars for something that clearly has no audience?
  8. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    why not a tablet?

My kids' pediatricians' office is all Mac. They are currently looking for a tablet to complete their paperless office. The nurses would have them and receive pop-ups from the doctor's orders as they see each patient. Of course all of this would be downloaded to each patient file daily.

The office is a father and son outfit, and the son has written his own patient dbase with Filemaker. Mom has been using Apples for over 20 years, so credit goes to her. She has a 15" PB on her desk. I think they have two G4 servers.

So why not a tablet? Here's one prospective buyer. And I understand they are going to market their software package with a Mac there's much more need right away!

BTW they have no network engineer on staff, the son does all of the work. When I asked Mom what happens when they crash, she told me they don't crash. Once in five years maybe he's had to work on the system during lunch.

Think of the $$$ they are saving...making!

Mac wannabe
  9. Veldek macrumors 68000

Mar 29, 2003
    Well, last I heard was that MS (in person of Mr. Ballmer) admitted that Tablets are a loss for them. They sold just too little of them. So I wonder why Apple should enter a market which will be a loss. This only shows that Apple researches before bringing out a product.
  10. adamjay macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2004
  11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    also, my friend bought one last summer, instead of a powerbook, which i urged her to get, and she wanted, but her father said that it was a no-no, but anyways they ended up paying 3000+ for her computer and its had plently of problems already, plus its ugly and pointless
  12. furrina macrumors regular

Mar 31, 2004
    In tha 212
    I never understood what was so great about the tablets.

Better ideas?

1. PDA
    2. TV/computer/display integration thingy
  13. svenr macrumors regular

May 6, 2003
    How about this hypothetical statement a few years ago:

"Portable CD players now comprise 54% of the comsumer portable audio market, and MP3 players comprise less than 1% of the market. Why would apple invest all the R&D, and marketing dollars for something that clearly has no audience?"
  14. DGFan macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    But, see, there was solid *reason* to buy an MP3 player: because it can hold so much more music than a CD.

There is no reason currently to buy a tablet.
  15. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    its not really the same thing though is it. MP3 players do something CD players can't. And there wasn't relaly a lot of well done hard drive based MP3 players at the time, whereas there is an established set of tablet PC's that are just nto selling at all. I can't really figure out what tablet PC's do that laptops can't. In fact, they do less, are less powerful and cost more. Even MS thihnks they are for specialized business needs, not home computers. Tablets just seem silly to me.
  16. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    It's not the same thing, it's like comparing apple's to oranges. (no pun intended) And if you compare the dollars invested in developing the iPod whereas what it would probably take for apple to create their version of a tablet, and you consider their current marketshare in the computer world. It's asinine! Not to mention they have so much on their plate as is to try and figure out, like getting the G5 or some other chip into a notebook sized enclosure, and revamping their desktop line in the future. I think tablets are the PDA of the computer world, sure they are cool but do we really see them being around for a long time? I doubt it.
  17. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    When I firstly heard of the Tablet PCs and saw them I thought they were pretty neat, but after seeing their specs, the bulkyness of them and the weight its not worth it. Apple is doing better by staying out of the Tablet Computer phase. The idea was good at the time, but it really sucks now. Buy a PDA they can do more and are faster than a couple tablets.
  18. svenr macrumors regular

May 6, 2003
    All good replies and I have my own doubts about full-blown TabletPC. But I still think a sort of dumb wireless display as described in my earlier post (#6) would be nice.

Think of sth as small and light as the display of an iBook alone without the computer attached. Added features? Obviously you could write on screen and Inkwell converts it to text. Save quickly sketched-out ideas. Read an eBook or a news site comfortably on your sofa. Use it as remote control for your Airport Express powered stereo...

I think there would be a market, I for one would buy one.
  19. davecuse macrumors 6502

Feb 20, 2004
    I don't think that the current design of a tablet pc can ever be successful. When bandwidth allows I certainly do think that something similar to a tablet that would allow you to basically remotely control a desktop/central server over a wireless connection (that doesn't cost an arm and a leg) could be very successful, and take over the laptop market. I like many other users who have purchased a laptop, made the purchase as a desktop replacement. For my needs, a tablet could never be my fulltime computer. If however I could pick up a speed demon desktop and emulate it from a tablet that would be ideal. It could be done now, the price just needs to come down to fit the bill. If Apple were first to the market with something like this it would be tough for a family or business not to buy into the idea.

A lot of IT departments are making a big push towards Citrix and similar products, imagine if Apple could make it that much easier.
  20. vwguy macrumors member

Apr 6, 2004
    Silicon Valley
    I have a couple of tablet PCs at work and they are pretty well built. The hand writing recognition has truly come a long way and its almost effortless to just write on the screen when you are just tired of typing. Its also good for people that has carpal tunnel syndrome as they do not have to type anymore. Also, its good to have a tablet PC to carry around on a conference hall to display products or software to customers instead of hauling a laptop.

It would be really great if Apple do some R&D on it and prehaps/maybe produce one thats similar to an iBook... prehaps call it tBook or something. I truly think its a good idea and we shouldn't (in my humble opinion) discard it hastily but neither should Apple rush into it.
  21. cr2sh macrumors 68030

May 28, 2002
    Last Summer I used a tablet pc, everyday for about 3 months... I liked it.

To dismiss it quickly would be easy to do, I would guess, if you've never used one. You say "no market" but I have a feeling if Apple ever releases an eBook... it'll be a tablet. Just $0.02.

Oh, one other thing... I'm quite sure that the same people saying "there's no market for it..." are the same ones posting in the "new apple displays" thread that they want write-able lcds. :rolleyes:
  22. legion macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2003
    Viewsonic makes the device you speak of and it is sold (it is the airpanel) We have 2 at work an they are awesome and have written custom apps for them.
  23. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i glanced at Viewsonic's site, it can connect to a Windows XP machine, Only if they supported Macs i would be saving my money right now for one, i think this would be awesome and is a much better alternative to the whole tablet PC idea....
  24. wide macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2004
    tablets are useless pieces of junk. there is almost no market for them, and the only people that use them are inventory supervisors, other words, people who have to walk around a dim room full of boxes with a tablet pc and stylus and check off what products are in or out of stock

essentially, any portable device without a keyboard can be rendered useless for every task..
  25. viper1701 macrumors newbie

Jun 17, 2004
    Why is everyone being so close-minded?

I would love to have a tablet- if it were light, easy to handle, had good battery life, and was a capable alternative to a laptop. Most of you would like it too. Because it is just a laptop with a screen you can write on! Have you ever tried computing on a plane? It's not possible! With a tablet, it would be easy- you could look at the screen head-on without the seat in front of you getting in the way. What about joting down some notes during a meeting or during class. My Profs don't like having laptops open, but a pad of paper is ok (of course). Well, why not a digital pad instead?

Of course the tablets suck now- they are a new technology. Do you remembet what the first portable computers where like (don't even think of calling them laptops)? They were 50 pound suitcases with 5 inch screens!

Don't bash new technology because it isn't perfect or you don't see a use for it- perhaps you simply lack the vision to see what potential tablets have.

Keep in mind, people bash Apple all the time, Why? Because they don't understand why Apple is so special, and worse, they won't even make an attempt to understand.

My baby is a G4 867 with a 17" Cinema Display