Apple Tablet?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Ensign Paris, May 21, 2002.

1. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Hey, MacMinute reports:

Forbes talks reality distortion
    May 21 - 10:33 ET  An article posted today by Arik Hesseldahl on Forbes.com discusses Apple's recent product announcements -- including the new bumped-up iMacs, Xserve, Mac OS 10.2 (Jaguar) -- Macworld Expo New York and interestingly enough, the suggestion of a new touch-sensitive input device that will work with any computer. "Given Apple's recent updates to all its product lines, it certainly has something truly noteworthy up its sleeve for July that is not necessarily a new computer per se, but something else. Between now and July, the speculation will reach a fever pitch." Oh, how true.

http://www.forbes.com/2002/05/21/0521tentech.html ]Full Report[/URL]

Ensign

2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

OH NO!

DON'T TELL ME iWalk IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Ensign Paris thread starter macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I don't think so, sounds more like a tablet to me!

I hope it is a tablet, I could really use a new one (I haven;t used my old 22" one in about 3 years)

Ensign

4. iGav macrumors G3

An Apple tablet.. now that would be cool....... I'd have one of those straight away.... no need for a mouse then....:D

I need to get a new wacom, on of those little things would do nicely... however I'll wait to see if Apple does release something....

5. 2Step Garage macrumors newbie

ever time i hear the word "tablet" i get this funny image of Moses carrying the ten commandments on an apple branded device.. hehe

just my thoughts... random yes.. i know

6. whawho macrumors regular

Two Button mouse

I hope apple makes its own 2 button mouse w/ scroll wheel before a tablet.

7. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

With Ink making its appearance in 10.2 (whoops, I mean JAGUAR), I could easily see this happening! Yes, let's hope on those two button mice with scroll wheels... although I'm not holding my breath on either. ;)

8. Wry Cooter macrumors 6502

open conjecture on form factor ...

14 inch diagonal LCD touch screen, stylus cubby hole, USB and firewire port, AirPort. Bluetooth? Any storage? A 20 gig iPod sized drive? Maybe this will be the new home for g3s, which are probably fine for thin clients.

A nudge to the OS beyond "Ink" that would allow the OS to be viewed in "portrait" orientation. And a virtual keyboard that pops out on the desktop as if an item from the dock. Now how much would you pay?

I used to think if they ever attempt this, they would make it a removeable part of an iBook, or merely design an iBook where if you folded the screen completely back it would disable the keyboard.

Of course all of this is being fed by the new apple set top box on the tv...:p

9. Ensign Paris thread starter macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

It sounds like Mira to me! I like the idea of Bluetooth monitor that is a tablet.

I never want a two buttons mouse but a scroll might do.

ENsign

10. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Ad idea!

That moses idea gave me a thought for a cool ad. Apple could do an ad where moses goes to deliver the 10 commandments, but the stones break so god gives moses an Apple tablet to delevir them!

11. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Bluetooth Speed?

I don't know for sure, but I don't believe that you'd be able to power a monitor with Bluetooth with any quality refresh rate. Is it possible?

12. Wry Cooter macrumors 6502

Naw, its best to think of bluetooth as wireless USB. Any such tablet will probably be 'served' via airport, although bluetooth might help for some purposes (connection to keyboards and similar)

The Mira thing Ensign Paris mentioned that Cap'n Bill announced at CES while MWSF was going on- was that spec built on 802.11b or 802.11a?

13. porovaara macrumors regular

Re: Bluetooth Speed?

Not without some amazing compression on both ends. Bluetooth maxes out in the world around 700Kbps. You need far more than that to stream things like video.

14. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Hmmm... A Tablet, you say?!?

Perhaps they'd call it - iScribe...;)

15. Wry Cooter macrumors 6502

Take two and call me in the morning

So I suppose this talk we are having is iPrescribe.

Some would find the idea of an Apple tablet a tough pill to swallow.

16. boobers macrumors regular

not too sure

what the point of a tablet is..so you can sit on the couch?
    i have to say it would be cool to surf while taking a **** using airport but that is an expensive toy. no serious work could be done...mostly reading and video.

As for July, my guess for a new apple device is a video cell phone. (this of course would be a ground breaking device and it would seem that apple would be the first to do it. It could interect with quicktime 6 on any system(including pc) or call another with the same device. Also this would tie in with the rumored video conferencing app. Vmail would be cool too. A small handheld with a tiny camera and screen. I have never been a fan of cell phones but i would buy a video cell in a heartbeat!
    Either that or a nice hybrid video/still 5 megapixel camera with ipod's HD, Zeiss glass and foveon CCD would make me thoroughly happy.

Just dreaming of insanely great things.
    boobers

17. Wry Cooter macrumors 6502

here is a short list of some things tablets allow, besides sitting on the pot (which is possible with present iBooks and TiBooks I hear)

Walking from room while reading, holding the screen in one hand. Perhaps a Big Gulp in the other.

Inventory management-- it could allow use in several vertical business niches. People taking inventory in a store, people taking surveys in a mall, waitresses using one as an order pad for a table at a restaurant, a real estate agent showing someone about a home, a decorator or architect discussing floor plans. A teacher walking around seated students with attendence roles and gradebooks.

Presenting computers to the world that "can't type".. pass it around family gatherings to show photo albums, as a petition or sign in list.

Personally I'd like to see a small camera built in as well, as the VAIO notebooks have (it would be like a digital camera with a really big LCD viewfinder)

In short, its a lot more portable, you can walk with it and use it at the same time. With a scroll thumbbutton or mouse nubbin it could be used with one hand in many cases

Regarding the cell phone with camera. The same phone that SJ showed bluetooth compatibility with is made by the same company that makes one with a camera built in.

18. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

You're kidding, right?

It seems to me that we're all turning into a generation of slackers...

I mean - as much as I think it would be wonderful to have an airport-equipped-bluetooth-bandwidth-handwriting-recognition-all-singing-all-dancing-tablet as an addition to our already technically advanced Macs, I have to draw the line at computers in the can.

Ever seen that new music video from David Byrne (of Talking Heads fame) - "Lazy"?

I rest my case.

19. boobers macrumors regular

ya i was kidding

i failed to see the point of a tablet until wry pointed out some good uses. Not sure if its a very lucritive market however. It would be kinna cool to read ebooks or even just surf the web in bed but without a keyboard i don't see the point of surfing.. All the other uses wry pointed out seem more corporate and designed for a single use like taking orders at a restaurant. I don't think Apple would put out a tablet unless it was a truly mobil useful device. I like the apple branded video cellphone idea better quite honestly! Apple would make it the best of its kind. I could see them selling everyone on this "insanely great device" in conjunction with the rumored video conferencing app, a nice handheld device that could allow video conferencing wherever you may be. Its a really great idea and its just a matter of time before it flourishes..because there is no stopping progress.
    think about it- its going to happen- u know it it is..
    boobers

20. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Don't worry - I was too... ;)

I reckon that voice recognition would be a much more lucrative market, and could really take off - especially for when decent AI software/hardware systems become available.

But that's a whole new can of worms.

What a day that would be...:cool:

21. mr.e macrumors newbie

My 2¢

I see apple doing a 5x7 tablet, possibly with IR remote as well - perhaps integrating into their set-top box/entertainment center.
    I'd love to have a cell phone on the other side of my future iPod

22. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Check the new article Arn just posted on the renewed PDA rumors...

23. j763 macrumors 6502a

Inkwell in Jagwire is fuelling the Digital Device rumors, but more likely, there's some massive iBook deal or something and apple needs to make the technology work for kids with disabilites or something like that...

24. Choppaface macrumors 65816

the better do something about jitter control. I can't use my wacom tablet w/ OS X because of the slight mouse jitter, which makes it impossible to call up the dock when dock hiding is on (which I use for illustrator, PS, etc etc)