1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Apple Takes 27% of Global LTE Market

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 12, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The iPhone 5, Apple's first LTE smartphone, was only released in September but it hasn't taken long for Apple to nab 27% of the global LTE market, according to new data from Strategy Analytics (via Yonhap News).

Apple is second in marketshare to Samsung, which registered 40% marketshare, although Samsung's share actually dropped from 50.9% in the previous quarter as Apple in particular entered the market. LG and Motorola also saw their marketshare take a hit, dropping from 15% each to 9.1% and 6.7% respectively. The only gain other than Apple was Pantech, who moved from 5.7% to 5.8%.

Strategy Analytics' data shows that global LTE subscriptions has boomed to 50 million devices in 2012, which is a five-fold increase from the estimated 9 million global subscriptions at the end of 2011. Although it's not clear whether the data includes LTE-enabled tablets alongside LTE smartphones, Apple revealed during the announcement of the iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad that their devices would support LTE in more countries.

The LTE market will continue to grow as ABI Research predicts that worldwide shipments of LTE-enabled devices could reach 61 million this year, driven in large part by smartphone owners trading in their 3G phones for LTE-enabled ones.

Article Link: Apple Takes 27% of Global LTE Market

2. macrumors 68020

gmanist1000

I'm loving Verizon LTE!

3. macrumors 603

Rocketman

I'm keeping my 4S without LTE till at least the 5S or 6 to get the, world phone VoIP replaces voice, feature. I expect to have to pay near full price for it.

Rocketman

4. macrumors member

With just two products? Now THAT'S impressive!!:apple:

5. macrumors newbie

Probably from all the "report a problem" with Maps submissions.

6. macrumors 65816

Wow, I'm surprised that with all of the 4G advertising you see over the past 18 months, they're not selling more phones that have 4G. I figured just about every smartphone is 4G these days, and that Samsung sells so many of them that they would have a larger share.

7. macrumors regular

Verizon LTE is spreading like wildfire around here in rural Georgia. I can't even get a cell signal with a GSM phone, yet I have a fast LTE connection (averages about 45-60 MBps) with my Verizon iPhone 5.

8. macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

I think you're confusing marketshare with bandwidth. Good effort though.

9. macrumors member

Don't know about you, but where I live, people don't have infinite amounts of money.

10. macrumors 603

thekev

If that becomes common, expect phone companies to raise data rates on a la carte choices like that. It could still be cheaper than it is today, but that's not a guarantee.

11. macrumors 68000

Global is a bit disingenuous when LTE is far larger in the USA than most of the world.

12. macrumors 603

bushido

T-Mobile is cheating with LTE in Germany. it shows u the LTE symbol when in fact u only got 3G because u didnt even sign the 10€ LTE speed option. so annoying, it fooled me at first. my "LTE" speed is 3mbit and i get "incredible" 200mb a month before they trottle me to 64kbs. german "unlimited" is the worst

13. macrumors 6502a

...with a phone, that doesn't even support LTE networks in many countries. :rolleyes:

14. macrumors 6502

4 Products actually

iPad 3
    iPhone 5
    iPad Mini
    iPad 4

But its still awesome! I'm loving Verizon's LTE coverage for my iPhone 5!

15. macrumors 6502a

So when is Samsung going to sue Apple?

16. macrumors 68040

KdParker

How could this be?

I though apple was manipulating supply in order to increase demand.;)

17. macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 5 and LTE subscription but due to Apple policy can't contribute to these stats. Give me my LTE AAPL!

18. macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

Other 73% taken up by two android devices.

19. macrumors newbie

Looking for Apple to gain more ground in 2013, got some apps to release...

20. macrumors regular

Samsung has already sued Apple for having LTE on the iphone5.

----------

REally? Because the list of other LTE phones doesnt stop at 2.

----------

What policy are you talking about.

21. macrumors 603

Rocketman