Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone5lte-150x129.jpg
The iPhone 5, Apple's first LTE smartphone, was only released in September but it hasn't taken long for Apple to nab 27% of the global LTE market, according to new data from Strategy Analytics (via Yonhap News).

Apple is second in marketshare to Samsung, which registered 40% marketshare, although Samsung's share actually dropped from 50.9% in the previous quarter as Apple in particular entered the market. LG and Motorola also saw their marketshare take a hit, dropping from 15% each to 9.1% and 6.7% respectively. The only gain other than Apple was Pantech, who moved from 5.7% to 5.8%.

Strategy Analytics' data shows that global LTE subscriptions has boomed to 50 million devices in 2012, which is a five-fold increase from the estimated 9 million global subscriptions at the end of 2011. Although it's not clear whether the data includes LTE-enabled tablets alongside LTE smartphones, Apple revealed during the announcement of the iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad that their devices would support LTE in more countries.

The LTE market will continue to grow as ABI Research predicts that worldwide shipments of LTE-enabled devices could reach 61 million this year, driven in large part by smartphone owners trading in their 3G phones for LTE-enabled ones.

Article Link: Apple Takes 27% of Global LTE Market

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
Wow, I'm surprised that with all of the 4G advertising you see over the past 18 months, they're not selling more phones that have 4G. I figured just about every smartphone is 4G these days, and that Samsung sells so many of them that they would have a larger share.

TreyCox

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
Washington, DC
Verizon LTE is spreading like wildfire around here in rural Georgia. I can't even get a cell signal with a GSM phone, yet I have a fast LTE connection (averages about 45-60 MBps) with my Verizon iPhone 5.

labars

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2011
Wow, I'm surprised that with all of the 4G advertising you see over the past 18 months, they're not selling more phones that have 4G. I figured just about every smartphone is 4G these days, and that Samsung sells so many of them that they would have a larger share.

Don't know about you, but where I live, people don't have infinite amounts of money.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I'm keeping my 4S without LTE till at least the 5S or 6 to get the, world phone VoIP replaces voice, feature. I expect to have to pay near full price for it.

Rocketman

If that becomes common, expect phone companies to raise data rates on a la carte choices like that. It could still be cheaper than it is today, but that's not a guarantee.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
T-Mobile is cheating with LTE in Germany. it shows u the LTE symbol when in fact u only got 3G because u didnt even sign the 10€ LTE speed option. so annoying, it fooled me at first. my "LTE" speed is 3mbit and i get "incredible" 200mb a month before they trottle me to 64kbs. german "unlimited" is the worst

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
The iPhone 5, Apple's first LTE smartphone, was only released in September but it hasn't taken long for Apple to nab 27% of the global LTE market
...with a phone, that doesn't even support LTE networks in many countries. :rolleyes:

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
I have an iPhone 5 and LTE subscription but due to Apple policy can't contribute to these stats. Give me my LTE AAPL!

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.