Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Most aluminium from Macbooks is recycled either at recycling plants or by Apple themselves (see previous article on the site), whereas plastics such as in other laptops often cannot be recycled.

In addition, you are working from the assumption that aluminium processing is more electricity intensive, whereas you have no idea of the amount of electricity and water needed to produce and mold plastic. If you want to make a well founded argument that Apple's production process is worse for the environment than say Lenovo, than please try harder and present us with some facts in stead of high school level knowledge of aluminium processing.

I'm not talking of end of life for the product, but the manufacturing.
I'm not comparing Lenovo or any other company other than Apple as they are the Company beating their green chest.

A mac book pro billet gets 90+ percent of the billet milled off, of course they recycle the waste, they're not stupid, but it does take extra energy to produce this compared to a cast body. I know casting is less desirable, but if it uses less energy, it would better environmentally right? Isn't this what the advert alludes to? Finding processes that are more energy efficient.

Last edited:

icolove

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2012
I find it absurd that Apple calls itself a green company. They are a company based solely on the insanity of consumerism, which is horrible to the environment, whether or not you use solar farms. Has anyone been to Africa or China to see the effect that consumerism has on our earth? Apple is an enormous part of that.

As for electronic recycling and battery recycling, it's generally a health hazard and has no real impact on the "green" initiative of a company. We use the developing world to deal with problems the western world has created by the need to buy stuff we don't need.

Anyone that buys into this nonsense really needs to give their head a shake.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple is honoring Earth Day in a new ad found on newspapers across the UK that appears to also include a jab at rival Samsung, reports CNET.

This full page Ad was also in at least one Australian newspaper. The Queensland Courier Mail had it's entire back page devoted to this ad. The ad is identical to what the UK papers have.

Not sure if other Australian newspapers are featuring the ad though.

Last edited:

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
My point exactly. Back to the drawing board. Apple have not presented anything spectacular since the iPad gen 1. Getting boring.... All they do is flaming samsung, which is a Company that DO innovate.

You sure you're not talking about Samsung?

My point exactly. Back to the drawing board. Samsung have not presented anything spectacular since ever. Getting boring.... All they do is flaming Apple, which is a Company that DO innovate

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
My point exactly. Back to the drawing board. Apple have not presented anything spectacular since the iPad gen 1. Getting boring.... All they do is flaming samsung, which is a Company that DO innovate.
You must work for Samsung. Name five things Samsung has innovated in the past five years I'm almost certain you cannot name one. And what the heck is a DO innovate?

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I find it absurd that Apple calls itself a green company. They are a company based solely on the insanity of consumerism, which is horrible to the environment, whether or not you use solar farms. Has anyone been to Africa or China to see the effect that consumerism has on our earth? Apple is an enormous part of that.

As for electronic recycling and battery recycling, it's generally a health hazard and has no real impact on the "green" initiative of a company. We use the developing world to deal with problems the western world has created by the need to buy stuff we don't need.

Anyone that buys into this nonsense really needs to give their head a shake.

Unless you live in a tent, make your own clothes, hunt or grow your own food, bath in the river, and never use a TV, PC, internet, or Phone, then you are part of the insane consumerism.

dol4n

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2012
You sure you're not talking about Samsung?

My point exactly. Back to the drawing board. Samsung have not presented anything spectacular since ever. Getting boring.... All they do is flaming Apple, which is a Company that DO innovate
No.

You must work for Samsung. Name five things Samsung has innovated in the past five years I'm almost certain you cannot name one. And what the heck is a DO innovate?

Are you kidding me? Galaxy S, S2, S3, S4 and S5. Easy.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
"leave the world better than we found it".
Really?
Then stop selling all-in-one Macs (a waste of displays!!!).

Lets see, a power efficient all-in-one or a independently powered tower case and screen. What do you think is greener? Towers have a lot of wasted materials - lots of plastic, a metal cage and lots of independent power hungry components.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I'm not talking of end of life for the product, but the manufacturing.
I'm not comparing Lenore or any other company other than Apple as they are the Company beating their green chest.

Apple isn't beating its green chest about the production process. This is about data centers, not production.

A mac book pro billet gets 90+ percent of the billet milled off, of course they recycle the waste, they're no stupid, but it does take extra energy to produce this compared to a cast body. I know casting is less desirable, but if it uses less energy, it would better environmentally right? Isn't this what the advert alludes to? Finding processes that are more energy efficient.

You need to look at the whole chain in order to be able to make a judgment on whether it is better for the environment or not. And you lack (and so do I, but I regularly work in manufacturing of diagnostics equipment) information on Apple’s production process.

They might shave off 90% (although this seems too much. Where did you get this information?), and I agree that re-using shavings is energy intensive. However production of plastics and molding plastics are also very electricity and water intensive. In addition, plastic casings are produced in more parts than unibody chassis, which increases energy consumption. Moreover plastics are more polluting and more difficult to recycle. Another factor that needs to be taken into account is the reclaim value and lifespan that the product has. Aluminium is easier to recycle and Apple does have a recycling program in place (where are Samsung’s, Lenovo’s etc?) to increase the reclaim of those products.

Other factors that come into play are supply chain effects such as transport of parts etc. We don’t know a lot about the production process. There is no way that you are able to make a statement that Apple is more or less polluting than the rest without more information.

Last but not least it would also help to differentiate your argument better. Apple is here advertising its efforts in clean energy generation for data centers. They nowhere speak of their production process.

Last edited:

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
"Good artists copy, great artists steal" - Steve Jobs quoting Picasso.

So Apple want the competition to be a good artists but not great ones?

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany

didn't you notice the sarcastic smiley in his post? :D:D:D

----------

No.

S5. Sure! Its so freaking awesome! Sony has a much cooler and attractive design, cause they didn't copy. s5 has a fingerprint reader which i hear works 'very' well and was included cause 5s had one! ;)

dol4n

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2012
didn't you notice the sarcastic smiley in his post? :D:D:D

----------

S5. Sure! Its so freaking awesome! Sony has a much cooler and attractive design, cause they didn't copy. s5 has a fingerprint reader which i hear works 'very' well and was included cause 5s had one! ;)

This is a serious forum. I suggest you act seriously or otherwise leave this site.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Apple have not presented anything spectacular since the iPad gen 1. Getting boring.... All they do is flaming samsung, which is a Company that DO innovate.

So... the last great thing Apple made was a tablet. I can sorta see that logic.

But everyone else ended up making tablets too.

Why didn't they all skip the tablet... and move on to the next thing?

It's because they all lack imagination.

I love how people slam Apple for not coming up with more Earth-shattering product categories along the lines of the iPod, iPhone and iPad.

But no one else has either. They just keep churning out smartphones and tablets too. They're boring too.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
No.

Which is an example of how sad Samsung is. Larger screens isn't innovation. The S1 and S2 were their best looking phones. Once Apple smacked them with a lawsuit the S3-S5 became the same repeated ugly ducklings.

dol4n

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2012

Do you have any empirical evidence that supports the scientific theoretical framework and if so, what is the essence? I would also like to see you present your structure and ethical values ​​regarding your study. Have you added any value to science?

----------

Which is an example of how sad Samsung is. Larger screens isn't innovation. The S1 and S2 were their best looking phones. Once Apple smacked them with a lawsuit the S3-S5 became the same repeated ugly ducklings.

Do you have any empirical evidence that supports the scientific theoretical framework and if so, what is the essence? I would also like to see you present your structure and ethical values ​​regarding your study. Have you added any value to science?

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
No.

Not so easy you still haven't explained what is innovative about those products. Let me give you a help on the definition of innovation!!

The term innovation can be defined as something original and, as a consequence, new, that "breaks into" the market or society. A definition consistent with these aspects would be the following: "An innovation is something original, new, and important in whatever field that breaks in to a market or society".

StarPower

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
Never said it was. Apple should stop bitching about that others do copy. Focus on your own company.

Idiotic statement. Apple never talk about Samsung except when they're defending THEIR IP of which shady cheap Samedung copied in every which way (with inferior products, at least show some respect and copy the "quality" aspect!).

Samesung constantly use Apple as a punchline, to try and brainwash people gullible enough into buying into their record-setting-marketing budgets (Samsung would never sell like they do without Apple to rip off, and spending more money than any company in history to brainwash their sheeples).

FINALLY Apple hit back. And with such grace and class. This is why Apple is the "company to be", while Samsung is the company that has to keep throwing digs at Apple, to convince people that "we're worthy of playing with the leader".

Samsung just released the GS3 in another warmed-over fashion for the third straight year! Why do you think? Because Apple is putting the squeeze on them by not having done too much by way of "differentiation" themselves. Their tag line should be "Your move, Samsung". Followed by laughs while Samsung proves that they can't think of anything when Apple isn't setting the bar. Samsung quickly even copied Apple's "gold" phone with a hideous interpretation, then Apple's fingerprint-scanner, with again, a cheesy, crappy implementation.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany

----------

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/heres-apples-original-copying-presentation-to-samsung/

if u can't understand the presentation or see the 'similarity', then... well, i suggest you educate yourself or get in touch with specsavers. good luck!

dol4n

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2012
nope. i am not trolling here or making wrong or fanciful statements. sorry mate, i am not going to take ur suggestion.
I suggest you do.

Not so easy you still haven't explained what is innovative about those products. Let me give you a help on the definition of innovation!!

The term innovation can be defined as something original and, as a consequence, new, that "breaks into" the market or society. A definition consistent with these aspects would be the following: "An innovation is something original, new, and important in whatever field that breaks in to a market or society".

You're wrong. Just becuase Samsung made something that looked a tiny bit like iPhone, doesn't mean they copy. Infact they innovated - unlike apple.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
Idiotic statement. Apple never talk about Samsung except when they're defending THEIR IP of which shady cheap Samedung copied in every which way (with inferior products, at least show some respect and copy the "quality" aspect!).

Samesung constantly use Apple as a punchline, to try and brainwash people gullible enough into buying into their record-setting-marketing budgets (Samsung would never sell like they do without Apple to rip off, and spending more money than any company in history to brainwash their sheeples).

FINALLY Apple hit back. And with such grace and class. This is why Apple is the "company to be", while Samsung is the company that has to keep throwing digs at Apple, to convince people that "we're worthy of playing with the leader".

exactly mate. because of samsung, i am ashamed to be an asian when it comes to real innovation. sony was one. nintendo was one. samsung? nope. never! they are good at making fabrication processes, i grant them that. nothing more.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I suggest you do.

You're wrong. Just becuase Samsung made something that looked a tiny bit like iPhone, doesn't mean they copy. Infact they innovated - unlike apple.
The bottom line if Apple never innovated like you say, you wouldn't even be here on this forum!

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
I suggest you do.

how about i push back the suggestion to you? :D
anyway, if u can't see what is innovation and what is copying, there is no point arguing with you. waste of time. have a good day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.