apple takes on PSP

Discussion in 'Games' started by g30ffr3y, Apr 5, 2005.

1. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

http://gr.bolt.com/articles/gpod/gpod.htm

Apple Announces The gPod® Handheld Gaming System

Cupertino, CA (AP) April 1, 2005 -- Apple® Computer, Inc. (NASDAQ: AAPL) today unveiled plans for a first-generation handheld gaming system, dubbed gPod®. Combining the best features of the iPod® with cutting-edge gaming technology and a full color wide-screen, the gPod is expected to be available in early 2006.

“The gPod will be the next must-have consumer electronics device,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “It has enormous appeal for music lovers, movie lovers and gamers alike. And with wireless integration, it can surf the Internet from thousands of wireless hotspots around the world.”

gPod is based on iPod’s pioneering design and interface, and will run on a optimized version of the Mac OS called “Cheshire.” Featuring a 300MHz G4 processor, 512 MB of RAM, 32 MB of dedicated video RAM and a 2 GB hard drive, gPod will have more than enough power to run the latest in contemporary video games. Integrated 802.11b/g wireless will allow multiplayer gaming between gPods or over the Internet.

gPod will work effortlessly with Apple’s iTunes®, providing music lovers with access to the iTunes Music Store, the world’s leading digital music service. Additionally, the gPod will have the ability to download movies and games on demand from Apple’s new Internet Movie and Video Game services. gPod will use Apple’s patent-pending Auto-Sync, which works seamlessly with iTunes to automatically download an entire digital library onto gPod with just one click, keeping it up-to-date whenever gPod is plugged into a Mac® or Windows computer using USB 2.0. Plugging directly into the USB 2.0 port will also conveniently charge the gPod. One connection does it all.*

“The video game business has grown to $10 billion, eclipsing the Hollywood box-office” says Apple spokesman Sal Pagicmants, “Now, Apple will revolutionize gaming the same way it revolutionized the music industry. Truly, we are on the verge of a Game Revolution.”

Pricing & Availability
    The 2GB and 4GB models of gPod for Mac or Windows are expected to be available worldwide in Q1 2006. Pricing has not yet been determined, but gPod will be “very competitively” priced against current portable gaming systems.

All gPods will include rechargeable batteries with a limited number of charge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced. Battery life and number of charge cycles vary by use and settings. See www.apple.com/batteries for more information.

*Firewire options require an optional cable adapter, sold separately.

About Apple
    Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning desktop and notebook computers, OS X operating system, iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital music revolution with its iPod portable music players and iTunes online music store.

NOTE TO EDITORS: For additional information, visit Apple’s PR website or call Apple's Media Helpline at (408) 996-1010.

Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Mac, Mac OS, iPod and gPod are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Apple. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.

AWESOME!!!!!!!

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Uh.. you know this is an April Fools joke, right?

3. g30ffr3y thread starter macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

but sadly is, i would expect to see a vPod before a gPod myself

6. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

apple + games ????? better tel steve about this one lol :D

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Maybe not.. but it is. :)

8. g30ffr3y thread starter macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

well if mac computers cant play games very well... why not
    make a dedicated game machine... i think steve-O missed
    the boat especially in the vPod area... the PSP has shown
    that you CAN watch movies on a 4.3" screen and the UMD
    media will hopefully catch on...

i dont know... sorry for falling for the joke... i thought those
    6 buttons looked suspiciously stupid...

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I think the Dock on the "screen" should have given it away to you..

How would you type a word doc on a 4" screen w/o a keyboard? And if you could, why the hell would you? :)

10. applekid macrumors 68020

Not to make this in to yet another PSP thread, but... The PSP has yet to prove anything. We have yet to see how well the UMD movies will sell. Hardware might be selling well (not a complete sell-out here for the American release though), but there isn't a large number of people that have the technical know-how to rip a DVD for the PSP nor are there any droves of people just watching their PSPs just for movies.

Like I've said in a thread before, the only things I can imagine watching on that relatively small screen is cartoons and certain web shows. Movie watching on handhelds isn't quite here still, especially with no iTunes Music Store equal for movies. Even then I think people won't have trouble turning down a $500 for a low-end laptop with a DVD drive.

11. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

It's an April Fool's. I doubt Steve Jobs even knows there are decent games on the mac...