Apple Talk? What is that!?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Star Destroyer, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

So when setting up my router i came across a window that asked if i wanted "apple talk" enabled or not.. wait, it said discoverable i believe..

I dont know what apple talk is, and cant find a solution here. I then decided to allow all you apple geniouses show just how great you can be by explaining to me and the community just what is apple talk and what does it do!?

Thanks once again!

2. Xenesis macrumors regular

Xenesis

Appletalk is apple's networking protocol that was heavily used before OSX. Because TCP/IP in OS9 and below quite honestly sucked. It's still quite useful if you use OSX computers, because it's practically configuration free.

It's basically designed for accessing printers, file sharing and all that other fun stuff you can do with other protocols.

Basically, if you've got Macs running, it won't hurt you to turn it on.

3. Star Destroyer thread starter macrumors 6502

If i were on a university network, and i had apple talk running, what would it do exactly for other mac in the area?
    I have never had a laptop before this, so i dont really know about these things...
    I am kinda clueless :D

4. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

that is spot on. In OS 9, you could set up al printers etc in Apple Talk very easily without having to type in loads of random ***** that you dont need to know. In OS X, i have had no reason to use it so dont worry about it

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

Probably nothing at all--I wouldn't bother turning it on, as it's unlikely to do anything useful in this situation.

Bonjour (automatic network discovery of "nearby" resources) has sort of taken its place for easily finding stuff.

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

AppleTalk is most useful when networking modern Macs with classic Macs.

Using AppleTalk, you can connect to other Macs running as low as OS 7 with zero or near-zero configuration.

7. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam