Apple Tattoo

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Butler Trumpet, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Butler Trumpet macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

I just read the thread on the main page that asked "How big can Apple get?" And this made me think of something I have had on my mind for a while. Do you think Apple will be around long enough/be successful enough for me to get an Apple tattoo? I dont have any others and I kinda want one, just a simple Apple thats all. But do you ever think that (hypothetically) Apple would ever go under? Right now they are more successful than ever I think and iPod seems to be taking them to the next level... so yeah, this has just been on my mind. What do you think?
    Thanks a lot!

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Anyone would be a fool IMO to get any corporate logo tatooed to their body :rolleyes:

4. Badradio macrumors 6502

A tatoo is a personal statement and your choice of design should reflect that. Design something yourself or get a friend to design something.

Gotta agree with ed on this; a corporate icon is way too risky to have permanently cut into your skin. What if Apple lost their way and pulled an Enron?

5. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i dont think any tatoos are cool imho. and an apple one would be taking the obsession a tadge too far!

6. Badradio macrumors 6502

They are very popular at the moment; all the more reason to do something unique. Or start a tattoo removal business - it's a growth industry.

7. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

im against the flow here - i think its fine getting a tattoo like that

http://www.bmezine.com/news/pubring/20040720/christy.jpg

the middle one is awesome - it means apple to you - then thats cool - i have got tattoos all over my legs (ankle to knee) there unique art but that doesnt mean i woulnt have na apple logo on my skin - i think they look awesome and the logo is super neat

i say go for it :D

8. Xenious macrumors 6502a

I go with the crowd that thinks your tat's should be unique. I could see using a corporate logo _maybe_ if you founded the company. Of course I take it further and say that your tat should be custom and not stock art, so take what I say with that in mind.

I dig a lot of the apple tat's I've seen, but you need to think with longevity in mind.
    -jim

9. jbrjake macrumors member

I dunno, have to agree with the people saying it's foolish to ink yourself with a corporate logo.

OTOH, if you went for the classic rainbow Apple logo, well, that would be so retro that it would circle all the way around from foolish to cool.

10. Butler Trumpet thread starter macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

Yeah, I dont think I would ever get the old school rainbow Apple logo. Never really was a fan of that.

What are your predictions of where Apple may be in twenty five years from now? I think I can guess a little bit where they are headed but what do you think?

Oh and what about an "I love Steve Jobs" tattoo? :) Just kidding

11. jbrjake macrumors member

Oh well. I tried :)

Well one thing I've been watching throughout this Apple boom is how much cash they've got on-hand. When the media buzz fades, that's what will keep them going till the next innovation (assuming the iPod fizzles out in a few years when every possible feature, like video, has been added and media players truly turn into commodity devices.) And Apple's doing as well cash-wise now as ever. Back in the darkest Gil Amelio days they kept around 3 and a half billion sitting around, now Apple's cash reserves are like 5 and a half billion. So they ain't going anywhere soon. Apple could run out of sellable products today and probably have enough $$$ to dig them out of a deep hole.

But when you ask 25 years down the line...this is the computer industry. There is no way to tell. I mean, as of right now, Apple and Google are two of the world's top brands. There's nothing on the horizon to change that, except maybe a media backlash (the media hate success almost as much as they hate failure). But Steve Jobs does still emit a Reality-Distortion Field, so at any moment, we could be facing another Cube disaster no one inside the company can see coming.

Bottom line? If you were going to brand yourself with any computer manufacturer's logo and don't want the company to go bankrupt for a generation, Apple is probably your best bet. Apple's closest competitors have far smaller margins, very little growth room, lower quality merchandise, and have to compete in a cut-throat Wintel market that's obsessed with mergers and buy-outs. Meanwhile, Apple does more R&D than any of them, makes more on each machine sold, has room for explosive growth, and sets the terms for its market. That places Apple in a unique position to flow with technological progress and changing market conditions.
    Even better--tattoo yourself with a turtleneck made entirely out of black ink.

12. Butler Trumpet thread starter macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

Thats awesome!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

13. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I say if you really think you will never regret getting it, you really must get a tattoo :)

i got my first one last year - i got a PI symbal on my right wrist and i absolutely love it

if you really are enthusiastic/commited to apple, then get it done. but its a pretty big thing, you wanna think about it more first. at the end of the day as long as your tattoo always means something to you then you wont regret it.

just dont get metallica or your girlfriends name done :D

14. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Go ahead and get it. If you don't like it in the future, they can always graph over it with skin from your butt.

15. iArtificialLife macrumors member

Question.

What if the Tatoos on your butt :eek: ?

16. mxpiazza macrumors 6502a

mxpiazza

if you want one, go for it, its a personal expression... you shouldn't be taking our advice on it.

just dont put it on your forehead :)

17. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Then from your...

WHAT! I was gonna say elbow!

18. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Go with big Jobs portrait.

Attached Files:

• sjt.jpg
      sjt.jpg
      File size:
      39.4 KB
      Views:
  19. mxpiazza macrumors 6502a

mxpiazza

20. The_Man macrumors 6502

The_Man

Even if apple goes out of business in 25 years, would it really ruin the tattoo?
    That would just make the tattoo cooler IMO.

On the otherhand, if the company goes in a bad direction and ends up being a hated company, then, well, that sucks.

So, I really dont think you should get it, there are just too many things that can happen to the company (other than collapsing) that have a chance of making you look like a fool.

You could always go with the sure shot and get MICROSOFT across your chest...

21. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I think you should go for it...

Even if apple does go under in the far off future, so what? You get to show your support for an amazing company as you live on. Sure, I'd say a corporate logo is an odd and unlikely choice for a tattoo... Hell, i wouldn't want Visa tatt. But on the other hand, how many Visa community websites are there? How many Visa cult followers are there? How many people drool for weeks before the release of a new credit line? Not many.

Apple is different... a sort of obsession, that i have no problem seeing venturing onto the bodies of the biggest followers.

22. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

If you wanna get an Apple tattoo, do it! Don't let anyone make up your mind for you. Apple going out of business shouldn't be an issue. Even if it would, tattoos are a reflection, and thats what it would do, remind you of your Apple obsession.

23. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Think of what this guy will be feeling like in 20 years...

Attached Files:

24. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

Whats your paypal account address???

I'll pay for your tatoo and give you $1.00 US if you get a tatoo...

Of me on your back :D

25. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Just a question, but would you need a ®, ©, or TM near the tattoo? Apple's legal team has been a bit sue happy lately... ;)