Apple TEAM WOW

Discussion in 'Games' started by robotrenegade, Nov 23, 2004.

1. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

I just picked up world of warcraft today and I'm installing it now. I wanted to start a team up with ppl from this board. Anyone??

2. iBert macrumors regular

iBert

Count me in. Tell me server and side. Looking to play Allience here, but I'm open to whatever. I should be on this afternoon.

Can't wait to get my hands on it. Just hope the fed ex guy leaves it in my doorstep. :cool:

3. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

hitting the shower then it's off to best buy to pick up a copy (ya i hate them...but they are the only local store that carries it, GAME STOP DOESN'T!?).

i probably won't play on an "apple" specific team, since we are rare cookies and the server's and time zones make the logisitics a bit complex, however if we happen to be o the same server in the same time zone, i'm always open :). post your info when you figure it out.

4. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I'm going to pick it up after school. (In 4th hour Newspaper right now)

I'm guilded up right now. The Red Branch Reborn. A good, original name. :)

5. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Someone needs to declare a server and faction for a mac team. I'm all about this, but i've got a feeling that we're not all going to agree.

6. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

That is why you have different tars on different servers. :D

7. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I'm up for it but not until I get the game which will probably be around Christmas... dang...

8. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

what's a tar? (sorry.. newb here)

9. iBert macrumors regular

iBert

I thought of a central server, because of time. But, one thing to be clear is, are forming a MacRumors guild? or are we just going to get together and play (i.e. grouping when online)?

Either way, I'm still up for anything. I'm up for eastern server.
    let's just specify our first choice and work with that. I know we might be able to get to an accord.

So bad, Fed Ex just delivered while I was having lunch. Damn you work, but only 3 hours to go :D

10. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

A character, avatar.

11. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Well I think I've changed my mind and will be getting the game today... I don't particularly care which server/side we play. I'd prefer we get together and form a guild. We can always start with just MacRumors people for a month or two and then see if we need to expand...

Just let me know which server/side. I'm going to inevitably create some temp toons for a bit just to get a feel for them (since I wasn't in the Beta or anything) and then I'll create my main.

12. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Now that's exactly how i feel. Now all we need to do is ORGANIZE. Someone be decisive...

13. iBert macrumors regular

iBert

How do you guys feel playing allience with MacRumors?
    What about a Central server?

14. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I just went to Best Buy to get my copy, and they were almost out at 10:30, the store opened at 10:00.

I am going home right now for lunch and will load it up. I have the final beta on my system still, does that mean I don't have to install, it will just update?

15. iBert macrumors regular

iBert

Check the blizzard forums. I think you might just need to update or something.
    Not 100% sure, but saw a couple of threads regarding that.

16. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

All you have to do is get the Key from the box, if you've got the final open beta still installed. When you insert disk one(with open beta installed) it asks you if you want to play it.

17. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Yeah, I didn't even insert disc one, I just went to the WoW website, created an account with my CD key, and played.

BTW, I did a quick /who all, and there were 3 lvl 16 tars already, crazy.

18. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I got the WoW Collector's Edition at 9:18 AM at the local Best Buy. I didn't even intend to get it. I went in to get the latest Harry Potter DVD while it was on sale (er, yes, I'm a grown man, but my daughter might want to watch it in, oh, a decade or so). Anyway, I walked over to the display, which was hemorrhaging games by the second, and saw only 3 collector's editions left. So, against my better judgment, I bought one.

And I'm happy I did - the art book is great, just wonderful, more than I expected (though, probably, less that you now expect after reading this ;)). The map isn't so much "cloth" as "printed on polyester material", but it's nice and wrapped by a brass ring (well, 1/2" section of 1/2" copper pipe). The DVD looks nice; haven't played it yet. Plus, there's a second set of disks (you can use the DVD or CD's and send what you don't use to a friend, who can use a free 10-day pass). And there's the choice of a special pet, which I assume (hate to do that...) is allowed for classes which normally don't get one, but maybe not.

I'm deciding whether to sign up today or wait - I'll be gone for the following five days for Thanksgiving, and a week for a trip to Disneyworld (our first), so that's 15 days of the first month that would be wasted.

I'd be happy to join a Mac guild once I actually sign up, but be warned that I play somewhat infrequently and am not all that great at it - my open beta best character was only level 10.

19. iBert macrumors regular

iBert

Cool, I don't think we might be a hardcore guild. At least thats me speaking. Same here I'm going away tomorrow for thanksgiving, but taking my laptop with so I will be able to play some on the road.
    I'd say start after you get back, that way you'll have more time to play for free :confused:
    Anyways enjoy your trip.

PS. So what if you bought HP3, I need to tell mom to get it for me for xmas. And people think I'm grown up, is 24 old?

20. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Well once I get home and get it installed if nobody has been decisive I will be. Maybe.... probably... I dunno... :)

I think we should play on a central server primarily because no matter what area of servers we choose we're all going to be playing on it regardless. The best thing in my opinion about a central server is that:

A) it's in the middle so you're almost guaranteed to have people on at all "normal" hours no matter which side of the country you live on.

B) Since it's in the middle it should present minimal lag for all people in the U.S. whereas picking a server on one of the coasts might create a ton of lag for people on the opposite coast.

Alliance or Horde... Alliance or Horde.

We don't have Paladins if we're Horde and we don't have Shamans if we're Alliance... I guess that's something I'm not sure of. Any thoughts on that? I'm leaned more towards alliance just because it is my own personal belief that 12 year olds are more apt to play "evil characters" and normally 12 year olds tend to act stupid. That's just my own personal unsubstantiated opinion and is not reflective of the real world... it's just too easy to be evil. To quote the movie Desperado, "It's strange how pulling a trigger is easier than playing the guitar. Easier to destroy, than to create."

Anybody against a central server? I don't have "oh my gosh you're a genius" reasons towards choosing a central server but those are my very very minor almost not worth noting reasons.

21. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Central server, Alliance would be fine by me. Anything would, really. But I vote for Central/Alliance just to keep Panda's ball rolling.

22. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I'm on server WhisperWind (central server) currently playing as a Dark Elf Druid named... SilentPanda. That's where we'll play unless somebody takes massive issue with it.

23. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

I would certainly like to play too :) I'm still determining whether or not I'll play it on my PowerBook or my PC.

Are the servers stable today? It's been my experience that servers are usually overloaded the first day or two a new online game launches.

Oh, and I guess we need to figure out who wants to play what type of character to form a good party :)

24. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I played for about an hour on the Killrog server (west coast) and didn't experience any lag.

25. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda