apple tech stole my airport card

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Gokhan, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

hi all

i rather stupidly brought a broken pb off ebay last week and took it down to 1st COMPUTER SOLUTIONS PARK ROYAL UK ):

they do a free diagnostic so they looked at it and said it works but the screen needs replaceing and a new dc in board is needed £400 in all !!

anyway i said i would take my pb back off them and think about it ?

gave them a £10 for thier troubles and took my pb home !!

now as i took the thing apart i noticed my airport xtreme card was gone
    which i could swear was in there when i brought it !!!!!!!!

i have phoned 1 st computer and they said they use a former apple tech for macs and that they would have a word but he will probably deny it !!!!

is there anything i could do to prove he stole my airport card !!!

help

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Not unless you have some means to PROVE it was in there before you handed the Powerbook over to them... your statement that you could "swear" it was in there beforehand sounds to me like you're not sure. I'd recommend that you speak to the manager... perhaps he can check in the tech's work area and see if there's an extra, unaccounted-for AE module lying about.

3. Gokhan thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok

yeah i know but my sister who fitted a friends battery to the pb and who opened the little latch to get at the airport card said she is 100 % sure it was there as the little connector cable was tight and she could not get it off !!

i am pretty sure as well but the manager is gonna check with this external apple tech and see

i bet i know his answer ):

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Mail the person you bought it from on Ebay and find out if there was a card in there?

5. Gokhan thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok

i did that but seen as she knows little about macs she says she didnt have a airport card but the machine sticker clearly says airport exterme
    oh well i will speak to tech and if he denys it then i will take his word but unless i am going blind there was a card in there :)

6. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

Are you sure the box didn't say Airport Compatible?

7. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

Based on all the comments i take it that you don't have a wireless network at you home. Cause if you did i don't think you would be questioning whether or not you had a Airport Card.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Just in case use a cricket bat on the tech. :D

Or just take his word for it.

9. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Why would your sister try and disconnect the Airport Card?

10. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

might as well go all out and get a crowbar.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

no no no this is the 21st century, what you need is the gravity gun :cool:

i dont know how much of a leg you have to stand on here. saying you 'swear' isnt really legally binding. maybe the s/n of the machine will give away some detail as to its innards? perhaps.

12. Gokhan thread starter macrumors 6502a

resolved

resolved

i am gonna pay £20 and the tech the rest to get a airport extreme card
    seems stupid now as i fitted a new dc in board and the logic board now seems at fault as its still not chargeing the battery so i am selling it on ebay as spares

13. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

So did the place admit the tech stole it? Is the tech willing to pay a part of it? If so he should pay all of it. I would be raising hell.

14. Gokhan thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah

yeah after a quick call to apple about how there products are being stolen by thier so called techs he changed his tune and we are going halfs on a new card to avoid court i dont think he stole it but maybe it was misplaced :) :)

15. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

Damn, you got ripped. I wouldn't settle for anything less than a free card period. If he is paying half then he is admitting guilt and will pay all. He knows he has it.

16. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

if they went half, they would have gone all the way. you shouldn't have stopped. most places like this train their employees to offer half first, and at last resort the whole way. basically, your time on the phone will cost them more than the cost of changing the part. remember that next time.

17. Gokhan thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah

next time as apple suggested when anybody takes a machine in for repair a config check must be done by the tech with the owner present to sign the check confiming his or her machines specs

bear this in mind people dont just hand over ur machine like i did ):