apple technician

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maul1999, Mar 28, 2006.

1. maul1999 macrumors newbie

are there any good books on troubleshooting and fixing macintoshes both hardware and software and also what is recommended for being a trained technician as in what should a trained technician be able to accomplish?

2. Lukasha macrumors newbie

A trained technician should start by studying his grammar schoolbooks and learn punctuation. Basically, being able to type and speak in full, complete sentences that are not run-on is a must. Once you've got that nailed, come back and ask again.

Jeff

3. Saluki Alex macrumors 6502

That's a little on the harsh side.

But in response to the OP, check this out.
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...ore.woa/wo/2.RSLID?mco=75A147A3&nplm=M9312Z/B

4. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

I love how people feel good about being mean on the internet.

You keyboard warriors will definitely impress the ladies and get all the action in the world.

Even though the MR forums are better than many other forums I visit as a whole, you still get jerk posts like this one every once in awhile.

To the OP, good luck on becoming a mac technician.

5. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I agree that the comment about run-on sentences could have been said in a nicer way, but the fact of the matter is that the essence of Lukasha's post is correct. It IS important for a tech (or anyone else for that matter) to be able to write short, clear sentences. A tech is going to be dealing with a lot of people who need help with something that's already confusing them, so being clear is really important.

So I hope that the way the comment was made, doesn't mean the content will be ignored ;)

6. kerpow macrumors 6502

I completely agree. Just because someone misses a few commas in a post or hasn't given much thought to well constructed prose, that doesn't mean they're complete retards. I mean, I probably say the F word quite alot in casual conversation but I wouldn't mention them in a meeting with a client or drop them into a report I'm writing.

Surely there are more important things in the world to worry about.

7. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Whodathunkit :confused:

grammar nazis: ya'llcunKMA :)

ifn dat dont compoote in ya'll's litttle world of 1's & 0's, pm me & I'll explain it to yaz in mo detail, hehehehe :D

8. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

Maybe english is not this persons native language. Anyway you fool, surely you mean "learning punctuation"? If you read out what you wrote it makes you sound retarded.

9. mpw Guest

I see you list in your profile your occupation as "Computer Consultat" Mr Kettle.

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i'm living proof that is false.

in answer to the op, you pay apple 250 quid, read a few hundred pages of online text go off to a testing center and they print you out a certificate, then a week latter apple prints you out some cooler cert with shiny silver apples on them.

11. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I got a question we all would like answered...did your penis grow a few inches after that comment?

To the OP, I don't know if you can get to one, but I went to my public library, did a search, and found a whole plethora of books that helped me. There's one option. I don't know if you are looking to further your knowledge or if you had a repair in mind...PBFix-it is a great website with all kinds of replacement instructions. Keep us posted if you find any good books, for I am always looking to expand my collection.

Oh, and don't mind the first yahtzel that replied to your post...that isn't the norm here. For the most part we are a friendly bunch with just a handful of spelling nazis sprinkled throughout. ;)

12. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I get all the action in the world.

This thread is officially HIJACKED. What was the question again?

Apple has an official training program for technicians, I don't know the process of it, but look it up on Apple.com I'm sure you can find a thing or two about it.

And yes my penis just grew 5 inches from my comments.

13. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

To the OP my friend went through the process and after all the studying he did it's well worth it. Now he used two or three books, worked at an Apple Store and then they sent him to get tested to become a Genius. It was a nice 5 day trip paid by Apple but most important everything he learned from the books to working at the store (you know the real world crazy questions ;) ).

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

15. jtalerico macrumors 6502

:rolleyes:

OP The best training is hands on! Stick around here, find out what problems people are running into and try to find the solution!

16. Lukasha macrumors newbie

Maybe you'll notice I never stated English, I stated "his grammar" which could point to any language. Regardless of which language is his first, no punctuation is frowned upon in any language and if he bothered to put a little more effort into it, I wouldn't have said what I said. And since I'm being accused of being a grammar nazi, a sentence with "and" should be said as 2 separate sentences to find the tense of the words used. "A trained technician should start by studying his grammar schoolbooks" and "A trained technician should learn punctuation" are the correct ways and neither sounds retarded so you have no grounds to criticize me.

I am a computer technician and one thing I can't stand when dealing with other computer technicians is that most of them have no social skills and are horrible communicators. Part of what we do for a living depends on communicating to people with little or no technical knowledge. Also, illiteracy is on the rise and there's no excuse for it. So if I'm a little testy and come off a little hard, maybe it's because the school system won't come down a little hard and make sure people can read and write at a decent level. And maybe I'm trying to make sure that this person doesn't just take a certification test and think he can get a job fixing computers. I've met way too many folks who've taken a week long course, passed a test, and have no aptitude for computers after all that, but still try and get jobs. Almost all jobs rely on communication, so that should be the very first thing you work on before computer skills. Better to fix him now than after he's joined "Geek Squad".

Jeff

17. Lukasha macrumors newbie

Did yours after you righteously asked that?

Jeff

18. Lukasha macrumors newbie

Oh gee, you caught me. Wow, when I went to go look at my profile, there was a space between the a and the t. Must have mistyped and after I hit save on my profile, I've never needed to go back and look at it. Maybe you need to admire yourself everyday and would catch that, but I don't. I work for a living, fixing computers. And certainly typing one letter off is enough to put me in the same league of grammar hell as the original poster. Damn, take me away in chains.

Jeff

19. Lukasha macrumors newbie

I wasn't being mean, I was being honest and helpful in a way both the school system and his parents should have been if they've let him get this far with those atrocious writing skills. Now my replies to everyone else, those might be a little mean because I don't appreciate everyone jumping on me for trying to help and being petty (like your comment and the one about my penis getting bigger). Tell me, if you took your computer into the Apple store to get worked on, who would you choose? Someone's whose well spoken or someone who talks like a 4th grader.

Jeff

20. DCapple macrumors regular

DCapple

Actually it does'nt matter as long as he fix the problem and he can explain to me how and what are the problems and how can i prevent it. :)

21. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

You have some real issues. I have worked with people like you before. You think you are so smart, placing youself above others, then look down and rip on them. You are probably as dumb as the ones I know. Most geeks have bad grammar / English, I do, I am also dyslexic, but I smart in Math, technical, and analytical problems. I am not a technician, I develop code get paid good money for it too.

Any how who cares about proper grammar or English on a forum, it not important, content is important.

Yo puedo poner mis preguntas in Español.

http://train.apple.com/certification/

good Luck.

22. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

23. angelneo macrumors 68000

I prefer someone who can fix my problem than someone who start trying to bluff his way through by talking big. I'm trying to get my computer fix, I don't care whether he speaks "college-standard" english.

24. Lukasha macrumors newbie

You have never worked with someone like me before if you're comparing those people to me. I've been working on computers for 20 years, I've paid my dues in the trenches of telephone support, 2nd and 3rd level support, etc. Now I own my own computer consulting company and hire other techs to work with me. I have over 300 clients that I've built up on my own. Do you know why? Because all my clients recognize not only my skills, but they constantly tell me, "you're not like those regular computer techs, you're like a regular person." Why, because I know how to have a regular conversation, not talk down to them or act like I'm super smart and better than them (unlike how you seem to want to think about me). Coders don't typically deal with the end customer, computer technicians do. The OP was asking about computer techs, not coding so it doesn't matter how great you are with all your learning disabilities or whatever. I have ADD, so what?

And like it or not, the language of the internet is English, unless you are on a forum specifically for another language. So yes, proper grammar and English are important on this forum, but only if the post requires it.

If you want to go into the Games forum and talk about "mad skillz" and "hax0ring" and whatever, go ahead, I'll join you. But if you ask a valid question about getting a job in a customer service related field and your communication skills are horrible, I'll let you know.

Oh, and no cuido.
    Jeff

25. Lukasha macrumors newbie

Okay, let's put this another way. You own a company and need to hire someone that will be the face of your company to the consumer. Skills being equal, are you going to hire someone you feel comfortable talking to or someone who can't put a sentence together.

Jeff