Apple Term Paper

Discussion in 'Community' started by Daveway, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Just by a stroke of luck i was given the choice of doing either Apple or Microsoft for my term paper. I chose Apple of course but that is not in stone. Is there enough about Apple's history and where they are today to write a 6 page paper? What are some good sources for this kind of info?

Any other help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

3. dotnina macrumors 6502a

I imagine that somewhere on Apple's site, there must be a write-up of their history. You can use this as a good starting point ... it'll help you get an idea of what specific things to Google for.

Besides create computers, Apple has done a number of things over the years that you could mention. Off the top of my head, I know they invented Firewire, which has since become an IEEE standard.

So what sorts of things, exactly, is your paper going to cover?

4. brap macrumors 68000

Apple.com links to http://www.apple-history.com/ from their "About Apple" page. You'd probably do worse than get a general overview there.

Actually, scanning through, the 'company history' section is rather nifty. Maybe you could check if your college has a login for JSTOR (http://www.jstor.org/), there are hundreds of journal titles, and tens of thousands of articles. There seems to be an interesting looking article entitled 'The social practice of independent inventing'...

Journals are your friend. Read 6 or 7... pads out even the most lacklustre bibliography ;)

5. kilpajr macrumors regular

Do you have to have a certain number of sources for your paper? I would think it would be fairly easy to write a paper about Apple without using many. This is not to say I am great at writing papers. It usually took me the better part of a day to write most of my 3 or 4 page papers.

I would find sources about the history of Apple and then go into the brand loyalty, the lack of viruses/spyware, the differences from PCs, the reason most graphics professionals use them (software), and then why a company with about 2% marketshare has not only survived but thrived.

I would definitely suggest doing your paper on Apple rather than Microsoft. If you did it on Microsoft, it would be too easy to get negative about the topic. I would think your professor would would enjoy reading a positive paper about Apple rather than a negative one about Microsoft and you would possibly get a better grade.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

A great history site for Apple is http://apple.computerhistory.org/ Very complete. Also, don't forget Wikipedia, it will have more information than you think is possible for this peticular topic.

TEG

7. apple2991 macrumors 6502

Are you kidding me? There is enough about Apple to write a six-HUNDRED page paper. And then you'd have to start talking about the Macintosh.

www.apple-history.com

And I think someone already linked it, but Fire in the Valley is SUCH a great book.

If you get stuck, just PM me and I'll send you the one I wrote about Apple last semester.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You've got plenty of advice to get started above, but just remember to post back when you're done to let us know how it went. If you want to link to your paper, we would love to read it.

Good luck!
    Maybe you can become a Mac Evangelist along the way!
    The Macintosh Way

9. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

How on earth did you get a topic choice like that? What class is this for?

Daniel

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I think there is plenty of information to write a six-page paper about Apple's history. In fact, to really keep your paper interesting, I'd suggest limiting your topic even further (this depends on the actual assignment: if the assignment is to summarize the "state of the company" including its history, then you'll need to cover everything). I actually think a very interesting paper could be written about the "rumors" industry around Apple computer, for example. Or you could limit your discussion of Apple to just the iMac, or the rise of Wi-Fi, or iTunes, or the influence of Steve Jobs. Make sure you find plenty of peer reviewed journal articles and/or books for your paper. Don't just rely on the Internet.

11. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

Thanks for all the feedback.

I'm doing it on the history side of things without going into computer tech talk. I must have 5 different sources with only on being internet. It must also be 5-7pgs. MLA.

12. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

FYI

Also, keep in mind I'm a high school junior. Im a mac youngin.

13. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I wrote a paper on Steve Jobs in 8th grade. It was pretty good, like 3 pages.

14. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Heck, the iPod would take up 20 pages all on its own.
    The Macintosh, Pre-OS X, 200
    The Mac, Post-OS X, 100

Wi-Fi? Heck, Apple was one of the first to provide integration between a computer (iBook) and a Base Station (Base Station)

This website has information on individual models. Good to read through and see the changes that went on.

Heck, talking about the Clone Wars (Macintosh Clones, not Star Wars.
    ..) can take up a huge amount of space.

Mactracker is a Macintosh program that is useful for looking at how Apple's designs have changed.

15. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Was not aware of MacTracker... looks interesting!