Apple Testing Induction, Solar, and Motion Charging for Curved-Glass iWatch

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 2, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is exploring a variety of different charging methods for its upcoming "iWatch" smart watch project, according to a report from The New York Times. At the top of the list for Apple appears to be induction charging, allowing users to recharge their watches wirelessly.
    [​IMG]
    Apple's sixth-generation iPod nano with one of several included watch faces
    Other options for Apple include solar and movement-based charging, although it appears those ideas may still be several years from becoming practical. The report also reiterates the newspaper's claim from last year that the iWatch will feature a curved glass display.
    The report notes that with battery technology improving relatively slowly, Apple has focused on improving power efficiency of various components in its devices, as seen with the latest generation of the MacBook Air.

iPod creator and Nest co-founder Tony Fadell is also quoted as confirming that Apple had explored solar charging for the iPhone and iPod for a number of years, but the technology proved infeasible due to users storing the devices in pockets and other dark places for extended periods of time.

For the iWatch, Apple has been working on flexible new battery designs and looking at new charging technologies, but battery life has reportedly continued to be one of the sticking points for Apple as it seeks to create a powerful smart watch capable of lasting several days between charges.

Article Link: Apple Testing Induction, Solar, and Motion Charging for Curved-Glass iWatch

2. macrumors 65816

designgeek

Here's to hoping that induction becomes mainstream soon.

3. macrumors member

One Bad Duck

iWatch

I think this product is going to surprise us all and be something just a little special.

4. AngerDanger, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014

macrumors 68000

AngerDanger

Hmm, if it means longer usage, I'd be more than happy to get a small lightinging port installed on my wrist for the iWatch to run off. It would also nullify the need for a strap…

[​IMG]

5. macrumors 601

HiRez

In other words, you won't see the "iWatch" until at least 2015.

6. macrumors 65816

kalsta

What a step back to boring the 7th gen nano is compared to that little square one.

7. macrumors 6502a

Movement based charging would not be that hard, hell Seiko watches have a Kinetic series where movement charges the battery and winds the mechanism - all they have to do is use the same idea and modify it - Im sure it would not be that hard to do. Im not a fan of induction charging because these take a lot longer than conventional AC charging due to the lower voltage / current being used. The only major difference is no direct cable from watch to wall - watch sits on a "plate" which is then connect to an AC adapter. Its "convenient" but too slow time wise.

Plus you still have a cable from from the induction charger to the wall. Solar has similar technical issues as the panels cannot charge the battery quick enough due to their low voltage / current as the sunlight is converted into a current to charge the battery. Then the battery has to hold this charge in a large capacity and not drain quickly either - Solar panels are usually slower and not as visually appealing and would need to be covered in sapphire crystal as well to protect them from damage and scratches.

So far the only charging system thats the quickest is AC based, the rest are good in theory but way too slow.

8. macrumors 68030

APlotdevice

I imagine the issue is with how much energy is generated. A smart watch obviously needs a lot more power than a conventional one.

9. macrumors 68020

gmanist1000

What I want the iWatch to be:

armour39-by-under-armour.jpeg

10. macrumors 65816

taptic

As long as it leaves the Galaxy Gear in the dust... but then, Apple could make something like that by accident.

11. macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

Anybody can do that. :p

12. macrumors 6502

Yes, but the harvested power is so little, it couldn't operate a smartwatch.

13. macrumors regular

Two big stories in a three-day period for the iWatch. Where there's enough smoke, there's fire. Here we go :)

In other news, the iOS 8 checklist is:
    Healthbook
    Fix photo management
    Maps with transit
    Mobile payments
    Multi-user support with Touch ID

14. macrumors 68020

carjakester

how cool would it be to have a charging system like some normal watches where it can wind up. non innovative my ass. i will be waiting in line for this!

15. macrumors 601

macduke

Not be that hard? You do realize that iWatch will do a lot more than simply tell you the time, right? It's a little computer. There is huge room for improvements to efficiency in such designs—which would require a hefty amount of innovation.

I think one solution will be inductive, but the kicker is it will charge from a few feet away. Plug in the wall adapter behind your bed, or at your desk at work. Have a battery that lasts several days, and each night it only has to charge it a fractional amount of that to keep charged. I also tend to think the battery will be in the wrist strap. I also think it will be a bit wider, like a band instead of a watch. The curved glass display will go nearly edge to edge, and in the first version wrap around the top part of the loop. I've also got another idea for a unique user interaction that I'd like to mock up with some animation, but I don't have time (hah sorry no pun intended).

16. macrumors 68020

carjakester

but as an additional charging source, with just a battery lets say the watch lasts 5 days, if it had the kinetic charging it could maybe prolong that to a week, which would be a way to potentially solve the battery problem.

17. macrumors regular

They obviously don't want you to have to plug it in. The main reason being that it would save considerable space in the device if you remove the lightning port.

18. macrumors 6502

jmh600cbr

Why exactly did they take that step backwards anyway?

19. macrumors 68000

AngerDanger

To differentiate between the iPod nano and the potential iWatch, perhaps.

20. macrumors 6502a

lolkthxbai

I'm praying it takes design cues from the Nike Fuelband SE. I think it's a very well thought out design. I think it's the small things that people don't notice that really makes it a great product.

21. macrumors 601

goobot

The lightning port serves more of a purpose other than charging, what happens when you need to update/restore? What happens when you want to sync it?

22. macrumors 65816

Sedulous

I still don't see why anyone would want what is undoubtedly an expensive underpowered nano iPod. People are moving away from watches. The convergence of services into fewer devices is what people want. Unless this watch can make phone calls, check email, run games, etc., what is the point?

23. macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

OTA, sync over wifi

24. macrumors 6502

Make it motion charged and design it for the right hand. Given the fan base, I predict it will never have to be connected to power.

25. macrumors 6502

Isn't there some kind of experimental technology called "graphene" that allegedly keeps batteries charged for an insane amount of time?