Apple Testing New Time Capsules for Caching Software Updates?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 2, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    While we noted yesterday that an apparent tightening of supplies of AirPort and Time Capsule products in Apple's retail stores may heighten anticipation for a possible update at next week's Worldwide Developers Conference, 9 to 5 Mac reports that it has received word that Apple has at least been internally testing new Time Capsule models capable of caching software updates for users' machines in order to speed the download and update process.
    A smarter version of the update capabilities found in Mac OS X Server, the new Time Capsules would know exactly which machines it needed software updates for and download only those packages.

And with Apple's latest iMac and MacBook Pro models already supporting 450 Mbps Wi-Fi, distributing software updates downloaded quietly in the background by a Time Capsule to the actual machines could be accomplished with lightning speed.

As for potential tie-ins to Apple's iCloud service scheduled for introduction next Monday, new Time Capsules could integrate with the service to cache certain large or frequently-accessed files for faster access when on the local Wi-Fi network. Those files would of course instead be distributed directly from the iCloud servers when off the local network.

Article Link: Apple Testing New Time Capsules for Caching Software Updates?

2. macrumors 6502

montycat

I think this would be great for erase and installs also if Im reading this correctly.

3. macrumors 68000

4. macrumors 6502a

kasei

Wow, I just bought a new Airport extreme a couple of weeks ago. My old one of 8 years died. I guess I'll just have to start replacing the Airport Expresses scattered all over the house.

5. macrumors 68000

nice - turning the TimeCapsule into some sort of mini server for @home.

6. macrumors newbie

Everyone has been focused on the music and mobileme aspects of icloud but I'm really hoping that one thing that is arriving is non-connected sync'ing and updating - the whole plugging my ipad and phone into a specific computer regularly is a pain.

7. macrumors 6502a

shartypants

Having it be a synced copy of your cloud locally would be cool. I know where this is all headed... eventually all our data will live in the cloud and we just cache it locally where we use it the most. I think we need better security before most of us will go along with that.

8. macrumors regular

I am in the same boat, I just bought mine a little over a month ago.. this always happens to me.. I buy something and 6 weeks later something better comes out.. da*n technology.. I can never keep up!! :p

9. macrumors 68040

why couldnt this be just a software update for the current gen time capsules?

10. macrumors 6502a

shartypants

I agree, that would be cool to not have to connect your iOS device to your laptop to sync/backup/update. Probably where it is headed eventually.

11. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I agree. It's all in the sw unless the CPU is just not capable enough.

12. macrumors regular

jasonxneo

Wait a couple more days and now macdefender can infect your whole home server!! :D

13. macrumors 68000

lewis82

It's a nice idea, but I hope there will be an option to deactivate it. Some people have very low bandwidth caps and need to control what they download.

14. 2IS
    macrumors 68030

I was thinking the same thing. It's already connected to the Internet as well as your computers, seems like it would have been easy enough to accomplish this with a firmware update. But then Apple couldn't sell you another pice of hardware.

15. macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

Sounds like a nice little touch to keep things running smoothly. I hope they can get the price of the time machine down a bit if they update it.

16. macrumors member

alex.sebenski

Post PC Era

Expect "Post PC Era" to be mentioned a few times in the Keynote. This is awesome.

17. macrumors regular

HMFIC03

I hope there is more to this possible refresh than this. They are way too overpriced when compared to other drives on the market, that are faster and fireproof.

18. macrumors 68020

jayducharme

I like this idea a lot. I just had software updates for my iPad that took 2 hours to download. With many iOS apps commonly needing 1/2 gb updates and Apple considering having the entire OS downloaded, the Time Capsule idea makes a lot of sense.

19. macrumors regular

What about those who don't have a Time Capsule? :(

20. macrumors regular

Yeah... I, too, long for the good old days... when my entire music and video library was stored on punch cards and paper tape.

21. macrumors G5

jav6454

They have the option of buying into one.

22. nagromme, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011

macrumors G5

nagromme

Very nice!

But I wish it were practical (already) to have a flash-based Time Capsule. Down with spinning platters! But backups must be cheap, so they’ll be the last to go solid state.

Those were the days! By the way, I once calculated that a UNIVAC I could store about 1/25 of a second of MP3 music. (Cost: around $12 million in today's dollars.)

Here’s a photo of UNIVAC memory from the early 50’s: data stored as sound waves in tanks of liquid mercury. A UNIVAC I had 7 of those tanks, each one holding about 1.5 kb.

Of course, for portable music, you can’t beat punch cards.

23. macrumors newbie

Hope this comes to current AppleTV as a software upgrade...

24. macrumors 68000

rorschach

It's Apple.

25. macrumors 6502a