Apple, the little quirks

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BuzWeaver, Dec 21, 2006.

1. BuzWeaver macrumors regular

BuzWeaver

Its quite an adjustment not using Right click to save images or video, I still can't figure out how to capture a video without using VideoDownloader in FireFox.

I can't Sort By Name (Book Marks, Folders, Links) in Safari or figure out even how to do it.

The End button on my key board seems to have not particular use, it doesn't move to the end, only one space at a time.

Delete only works to the reverse of letters typed, which is equivalent to Backspace on the PC.

Though not very labor intensive its annoying having to Open Apple A, to highlight the URL field to enter in a new URL, in either Firefox or Safari.

Those are just a few things I can think of off the top of my head that have become an adjustment.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, it's different to Windows, but that's kinda why we like it. Saft might help with your Safari issues. I personally don't use it, but others seem to enjoy its bounty. :)

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

why can't you right click to save image?

also, saft is not free.

4. aspro macrumors 6502

You can also option-click links to download the target of that link (any file).

5. BuzWeaver thread starter macrumors regular

BuzWeaver

Unless you have a mighty mouse you don't have the right click capability, at least not with any of the mice I've used, unless I use Ctrl Click on the laptop, I suppose I can try a Ctrl Click Left Mouse button?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

oh, any mice in the market, with 2 buttons, will give u right click, even the $7.99 one.

8. BuzWeaver thread starter macrumors regular

BuzWeaver

I plugged my USB Logitech M518 Gamer mouse into the Laptop, but I didn't attempt to use the Right Click, none of the other buttons worked of course because I can't find Apple Drivers for it, but at the time I was just testing to see what peripherals I could plug into it and see what OS X would recognize.

My Logitech Premium Head Sets Worked when I plugged those in, much to my surprise and mild delight. My Logitech 2000 Web Cam was a no go.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, mice should be easy one, webcam is much more difficult, unless producer has driver for mac, or OSX has driver pre-installed, you will have big trouble....

10. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

Not necessarily.

11. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Try fn-delete.

Try cmd-L.

12. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Er, that's the exact mouse I've been using for months w/out a problem. Never ever had to fiddle w/ drivers or anything and I'm happily using all of the buttons (I choose to, that is).

The right click should be on by default, the other buttons can be fiddled w/ depending on what you wanna do. The scrolling button also scrolls (I swear by default) and I can't remember if it was default or not, but clicking down on the scroll button opens up a link in a new tab (when browsing the 'net).

I went into System Preferences> Dashboard & Exposé> and assigned some of the Exposé shortcuts to my extra mouse buttons-- without any extra drivers.

13. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Click on the desktop or Mac icon to get into the Finder. Select Mac Help from the Help Menu. Type "keyboard shortcuts" into the search box and press Return. It's all there. If you are seriously frustrated try David Pogue's "Switching to the Mac".

14. inlimbo macrumors 6502

there are keyboard shortcuts for most of the things you are having trouble with. You just have to get used to the mac ones. At first they seem really bizarre but after a while they make complete sense.

Just do a google search. Here are a few helpful sites I found

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459
    http://creativebits.org/keyboard_shortcuts_in_os_x
    http://www.tuaw.com/2005/12/11/top-x-keyboard-shortcuts-in-os-x/

Plus you don't need to use Safari. Im really into Camino at the moment.

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

1. for images you don't have to right click. you can just drag it onto your desktop to save it. and you can control-click items to save target as unless you have a two button mouse, then you can right click just fine still.
    2. this is a huge annoyance with Safari. i prefer Camino, others prefer Firefox, there are even others. i'd give different ones a try to see if you find something you prefer.
    3. the end button does work differently than it does in Windows. for webpages it moves to the end of the page and such, its not line based.
    4. again, just works differently and was designed differently.
    5. if you click on the little favicon in the URL window it will automaticly select the whole field.

16. inlimbo macrumors 6502

I think this may help. From http://www.tuaw.com/2005/12/11/top-x-keyboard-shortcuts-in-os-x/

That last one is pretty dam cool. Never knew about that! * Throws mouse in bin *

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, yeah, i am sure somebody will try to solve the problem, at least some of the problem. pity apple didn't do this work.

18. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

:D :D :D :D

19. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

On my mac, the 'Home' and 'End' buttons are my best friends, especially on this forum! :D

20. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

:confused: This is surely a joke.

21. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

why? if you know the keyboard commands the mouse is cumbersome and ineffective in comparison.
    especially when you're dealing with text. the keyboard shortcuts, once you have them in your workflow make you work faster and easier.

plus everyone has their own habits, if these shortcuts are a daily part of his, then of course it gets annoying to have to switch away from what you're used to.

22. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Sorry. I meant not being able to shift-arrow to highlight text in Windows must be a joke.

23. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well of course you can shift arrow in windows to select text, a letter at a time. you don't get the selecting of paragraphs or words and such with a key combo though.

24. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Right, there is no way of doing that in windows unless you do something crazy like HOLD DOWN THE CONTROL KEY.

Works the exact same way it does on the Mac.

25. Viremia macrumors regular

that's crazy talk, that is :eek:

I swear, I have to laugh at people who are new to one OS or the other and their frequent complaints about "this" or "that" being missing when it's simply a different key combo or other method. I laugh, not at the people, but at the companies who have forced differing standards on us mere mortals.

I will admit, that I too was one of those complaining about various mac methods for doing things until someone pointed them out (ooohhh, you mean Fn-Delete makes it delete to the right? coool). ;)