Apple: The World's Most Discreetly Feminine Brand?

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jul 25, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors P6

dukebound85

without reading the article, who cares as long as they make good products

3. macrumors 601

eawmp1

I'm a dude, and i thought that was sexist. What drivel.

Difficult to figure out - let the men-folk deal with it. You little ladies don't need to clutter your minds by, um reading manuals.

While I like to tinker, I love that I don't have to if I don't feel like it.

4. ata
    macrumors member

Yeah, I totally agree. So there's a product that's elegantly designed and easy to use, and that's necessarily "feminine"? I don't call that feminine, I call it good.

The most annoying part is that the author of this article probably thought she was being all progressive and feministic, when really it had the exact opposite implications.

5. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

Nothing pisses me off more than a good sexist article.

Although I can't tell, are they insulting or praising females? Are they saying girls are smarter because they chose more elegant products or dumber because they can't configure less elegant products?

6. macrumors 68040

Apple makes a remote control. In fact they have simplified it so much that it has no real function. There is a thin line between simplicity and fisher price.

7. macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm a female and I like Apple.

I love Apple, their designs, their intuitiveness. Everything! But I don't see how creating an amazing product that is wonderfully designed and easy to use compared to Windows is aiming at women?

To me she's clearly trying to make something out of nothing. Orr she was just trying to find a different way of talking about Apple's recent profits.

Whatever. That article is a waste of space.

8. macrumors G3

Kilamite

"Women are the engine of the global economy, driving nearly 80% of all consumer purchases."

Really.....?

What a load of bs that article is. Apple is so successful because things "just work". Not because they are aimed at stupid females who can't work technology.

There is plenty females who are more than capable of taking Windows apart. It is merely a subject of interest and influences what determines your technological understanding, not what sex you are.

Apple offers face-to-face service, so that also makes it a feminine brand?

God. What a waste of internet space.

9. macrumors 6502a

its a bizarre concept but it has inherent truth to it. your average tech girl is going to prefer a mac because it looks pretty. hardly any are going to say "it just works" as their excuse to buy one. most pc laptops 'just work' as well. but they're often clunky looking.

sure there are 'plenty' of females who can take a pc apart, but they are rare. technicians are mainly male.

pretty much all of my female friends like macs. the odd thing is they also all prefer blackberrys over iphones. who knows.

10. macrumors 6502a

Shasterball

Ridiculous.

11. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

Did she even source this statement?
    Or is it too, like most statistics on the internet, pulled out of thin air?

12. macrumors 68040

decksnap

Uh huh.. so then men are what, the gasoline... PAYING for 80% of all consumer purchases?

Sorry, I don't believe that either, but it's just as ludicrous.

13. macrumors newbie

Hahaha awesome :D

14. macrumors 6502

impierced

The internet: Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

15. macrumors 68000

Hrududu

I've actually heard this elsewhere too. It doesn't say Women "buy" 80% but that that influence it. Think about it. Who does most of the shopping and buying for a household? Who may be sent out of the office to buy supplies needed at the workplace? How often does a man say before buying something, "I'll have to go talk about it with my wife" before he buys. Its a perfectly logical statistic if you really think about it.

16. macrumors 68040

BoyBach

"88.2% of Statistics are made up on the spot." - Vic Reeves.

17. macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

That's it..from tomorrow i will throw all my apple products :rolleyes:

am i confused, or does the author implies that women are too stupid to understand the up to date technology on their own?!

18. macrumors 603

shadowfax

Perfectly logical and perfectly misused. What percentage of consumer purchases do men influence? Influence is not mutually exclusive, so it could very well be 99%. And regardless, this statistic does absolutely nothing to support the claim/suggestion that women drive consumer spending. It simply means that they are involved in a great deal of consumer spending... whatever that means.

Moreover, calling Apple design feminine because you think it appeals to women is completely asinine. Men appeal to a lot of women? Are they feminine? Meh. The word itself is incredibly loaded and ambiguous, but I don't think anyone would ever suggest that the fact that females as a group tend to like something makes that object feminine.

Utter drivel indeed. Not just quaintly sexist, both its claims and arguments are wholly irrational.

19. macrumors 6502

It was a partly interesting article. But let's go beyond boy-girl: 'feminine' is a fundamental quality that women usually have lots of and men usually have some of. A slender body is a feminine characteristic but that doesn't mean you're a girl if you're male with a slender figure. You know - Yin-Yang? Some qualities of the universe are given the 'feminine' label, others the 'masculine' label.

But the author of the article does not come across as sophisticated enough to go further.

Ferraris are certainly feminine. Thank god they don't make pink ones, though.

20. macrumors 68040

eastercat

It was sad that a female author wrote this drivel. Guess this proves that some women are so indoctrinated by men that they'd insult themselves like that. :(

21. macrumors member

naco

Apple may be a great company with brilliant technology and easy to use, but if you can't work a friggin' remote, you shouldn't be writing articles ABOUT technology let alone be near a computer.

In short, anyone that agrees with this tard of a "writer", needs to: RTFM /story

22. macrumors G5

nagromme

I love the Apple remote control. I bought an iMac because of it, and I use it all the time for video and music alike. It does everything my old zillion-button absurdities used to do, and much more easily. I use the Hulu Mac app instead of the Hulu site, specifically so that I can use the Apple Remote. It works great with EyeTV too.

It not only HAS function, it has MANY functions, and does them so well that I can't tolerate "normal" remotes anymore.

(I'm male. And I like things designed well enough that they do the job I paid for, without asking ME to study a boring manual. I read massive manuals cover to cover when called for, but if a product needs a manual for something as basic as media control, that is a design flaw! An all too common one.)

23. macrumors member

No, it just proves that you assume anything stupid has to originate with a man.

24. macrumors 6502

Jesus some of you guys really need some valuum. I am a woman who has spent a quarter century in a highly technical job that is less than 1% female, and that article did NOT offend me. The generation of women who the article is written about arent as technically inclined as the younger set. It isnt "sexist" to admit it, it is r e a l i t y. Swallow a good dose of it. Some of yall need it

25. macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    The article never said exactly what about Apple products make them feminine. I mean she espoused the good qualities of Apple products, but never quite connected the dots. Exactly how are they feminine? And what does she think is feminine?

There is this horrible duality, men are the opposite of women etc. If you really, and I mean really take a look at a naked man and naked woman side by side, there is no duality. Just look at the prepuce and clitoral hood. They both have that wrinkly protective quality. The duality is a construction, and apparently the duality has constructed quite a story in this article's writer's head about what femininity is.