Apple THIS is what we WANT

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mcman77, May 8, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

2. macrumors 68000

Defender2010

3. macrumors 68030

What you're saying is "this is what I want right now."

Apple employs lots of smart creative people who have given a lot of though to long-term strategies re: merging the laptop and tablet hardware and software platforms. They've clearly been blurring lines in recent years making OSX more iOS-like and vice versa. However, they'll do it on a schedule that accommodates their business goals.

There's arguably a risk to "too much too soon" (and you can possibly throw the new iPad into that category) because you stand to underdeliver on features/price. For example, the demand for the fantasy iPad/MBA combo would be huge at $899 but likely DOA at $1,899.

4. jj48, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012

macrumors regular

There you go, fixed that for you.

But seriously I always hear a lot of people bash this idea and yet anyone with either a MBA or an iPad should at least be interested in this because it could in theory give you the functionality of both in the same device. The problems as I see them are:

This thing would probably topple over if the screen was tilted back. The weight of the MBA screen is light in comparison to the weight of the iPad.

How to integrate seamlessly 2 operating systems. Not easy, if possible at all in their current forms.

Pricing and hardware logistics. Would this thing have 2 processors? 2 SSDs? If so then this thing would be pretty pricey. If not then the iPad would have to house all the powerful components. Along with the already mentioned problem of weight the iPad would then have to house a more powerful processor (and bigger battery to power it), more memory, more storage, more everything. This will only add weight, bulk and cause extreme heating issues. Note that a MBA has a fan for a reason. If the hardware to run this thing is housed in the iPad then it's either going to be horribly underpowered, melting on your desk or somehow have a fan system integrated into it.

Probably more besides this.

5. macrumors 68000

So, we want an iPad that hovers over the base of an MBA?

I don't.

6. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Does it come with an anti-grav unit to hold up the display?

7. macrumors 68000

spiderman0616

I think there is a small minority of people who would want that.

Also, I have always hated using laptops. They seemed cool back when I didn't have one. Then I got one and hated it. They're heavy, they're not easy to use in a train or plane seat, they get excruciatingly hot, and they're a pain to lug around in a laptop bag, especially when you're flying and having to get one through security.

I have always used laptops as a necessary evil and as a way to get things done and still be able to be with my family, not down in my dungeon where our tower lives.

When iPad 1 came out, I still had a laptop and took it on a family vacation. We were sitting at the gate waiting to get on a plane, and I saw a guy with an iPad (this was about a week after they came out and nobody had one yet). He was casually scrolling through his e mail, looking at Facebook, looking at photos, etc. I was standing there with my laptop bag hanging on my shoulder and turning bright green with envy.

That was my "AHA!" moment. A tablet is what I have been longing for this whole time. The iPad was the answer to my prayers. I wasn't storing anything on my laptop, and I wasn't using it for anything that required all that processor and RAM. I was just using it to fill out orders for work, surf the web, and check e mail.

I think a lot of people want to get away from the traditional laptop. Doesn't mean a hybrid wouldn't sell. But I really don't think a hybrid like this follows Apple's rules of simplicity. People want tablets now, not laptops.

8. macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

People were complaining that the smart cover was scratching their screen. Imagine what the keyboard would do. This is a great idea in theory; however, in practice this idea would fall apart pretty quickly.

9. macrumors 604

mcdj

10. macrumors 6502

so laptops have scratched screens? and all keyboard covers must cause scratched screens as well. Sounds like a pretty absurd response.. it's not difficult to create recessed keys or whatever so that they aren't in contact with the screen directly.

11. macrumors regular

Why not just buy and iPad and a Macbook Air?

Problem solved, next.

12. macrumors 604

anjinha

13. macrumors 6502a

sinser

14. macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

Correct. Laptop screens are exactly the same as iPad screens..

15. macrumors 6502a

I saw one of these things not too long ago, i didnt like it because it was using bluetooth... If apple would of put the dock connector on the side of the ipad this would be a huge seller... Im talking about the keyboard dock of course... The ipad is already a huge seller.

16. macrumors 6502

TrentS

Whoa!!

You can already get a keyboard for the iPad. I don't care for the "slim on one end and fat on the other" look of the Mac Air. I am happy with my iPad 3, but only wish I could have 256 gig on board SSD. Maybe an SD card slot, Flash, quad core 4 GHZ processor, quadrophonic speakers with Dolby surround sound, and a 10" subwoofer on the back side!

:D :D :D :D

17. macrumors 6502

88 King

To drive OSX your will need Intel X86 processors, fan to cool in and much shorter battery life. That thing will cost about same as an ipad and macbook air combined. So why don't you just buy an ipad and 11" macbook air?

18. macrumors 6502a

No we don't. Get a toshiba protege that flips if u want that silliness. The iPad is not meant to replace any notebook.

They should instead allow for touchscreen while on a notebook. Think about it if they did your hybrid solution what is the point of creating an iPad in the first place? Who is going to carry a dock around and the iPad. How often do u dock your iPad?

This is just a temporary delusion you have going on and it will pass when u realize the iPad is perfect the way it is now...

19. macrumors 6502

PatrickW98

20. macrumors 65816

jackc

Actually, the solution is even easier. Buy Macbook Air. The screen is conveniently attached the keyboard, and it folds up nicely.

21. macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Why? Adobe retired Flash development. HTML 5 --> Adapt or die.

22. macrumors member

actually this is a pretty cool idea! i like it!:)

23. macrumors 6502a

You wish. Just look at printers. A majority still have an EPP (printer) port!
    It just won't die off.

24. macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Do people not have the sense to know that what they want in no way applies to the rest of the damn world?

25. macrumors regular

I generally despise those "fixed that for you" posts.

This once though it's completely warranted.