Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
It would be really great if they could fit a GPU into the display. That would make it the best external notebook display ever.

Since it's Thunderbolt that would be perfectly doable.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
pretty sure its gonna be the exact same resolution and pricing. I´m guessing the only different will be it will be ultra slim (slimmer than the imac) and same screen lamination thing which gives it a better screen. anyone wanna bet ? ;)

Cavepainter

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Los Angeles
$1000 isn't outlandish for an IPS display running at 2560x1400. Competitors are in the $7-800s, without ports and docking ability.

One thing I've never understood about this website.... and it never fails. On every thread, on every single product Apple makes, whether its a Thunderbolt cable or an outdated overpriced Mac Pro, there's always somebody on here arguing AGAINST getting a better deal on Apple products. Maybe their parents buy their stuff.... or they are just so rich that prices don't matter. Either way, I don't get it.

Wouldn't you be happier if that same product was maybe 10 percent cheaper? Obviously Apple is doing well and would still make money on pretty much everything they sell. Why argue against that? Do you really own THAT much stock?

Last edited:

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I´m guessing the only different will be it will be ultra slim (slimmer than the imac) and same screen lamination thing which gives it a better screen. anyone wanna bet ? ;)
I'd bet on USB 3.0 as well - and could imagine dropping FW800.

furqan8421

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
I own the current edition, and am not a professional user but wanted something to essentially serve as a docking port for my macbook.

The current version works well, I doubt the next edition will have retina but more likely will have usb 3 and slight other enhancements. One thing I will add, perhaps just personal experience, but mine has failed twice in just over a year. The ports on the back stopped working and the sound no longer came out of the speakers. Both times the genius bar repaired it under warranty. While it's great that it was repaired for it to fail twice in one year is troubling. Hopefully others have a better experience or the new edition works better.

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
Actually it's not the same resolution (though being close to it) - so you do get less real estate.

Yes you are right. I remembered incorrectly. :) It's 160 pixels less vertically, which actually does provide some more space for palettes. But I still think that the 27" is just as great for design work (I used the 30" before).

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
The resolution on the 27" is exactly the same as on the 30" so it's not as if you get less screen real estate. Sure the display itself is a bit smaller, but you could just move it a bit closer to make up for that.

I personally prefer the 27" size on the desktop.

I rather have the larger display. Also a matte version would be great. I don't like the glare of the glass panel. I know this won't happen. :(

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Elegant for the Mac laptops. For the Mac mini ( and Mac Pro if had Thunderbolt ) there is the question of the dangling, superfluous power cord. Apple doesn't always go for elegant. It is more combination of elegant and quantity.

It would make sense to come up with a Thunderbolt-less $799 monitor. There is little to no margin loss if they simply just dump the additional TB complexity, power distribution complexity, and cost along with the additional price. It would still share costs with a TB docking station ( 27 panel and most of the enclosure design) but only would have a USB 3.0 hub instead of a full fledged USB 3.0 controller ( Ethernet , FW would drop also.).

So it does less non display stuff and you'd pay less.

They already do make a Thunderbolt-less monitor. The 27" Cinema Display is still for sale, brand new, not refurbished. The problem is that it's $999 as well for some reason, even though it's clearly cheaper to manufacture. I agree that it should be cheaper. It looks like Apple is only selling it for Macs that don't have Thunderbolt, but they're sending the message that their plan is not to offer a cheaper display. I doubt they will update the Cinema Display.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I would love a 27" thunderbolt display with USB 3 ports. However if they end up making it ultra thin like the new 27" iMacs I'm concerned they may end up having the image retention plagued LG panels as well. :|

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
One thing I've never understand about this website.... and it never fails. On every thread, on every single product Apple makes, whether its a Thunderbolt cable or an outdated overpriced Mac Pro, there's always somebody on here arguing AGAINST getting a better deal on Apple products. Maybe their parents buy their stuff.... or they are just so rich that prices don't matter. Either way, I don't get it.

Wouldn't you be happier if that same product was maybe 10 percent cheaper? Obviously Apple is doing well and would still make money on pretty much everything they sell. Why argue against that? Do you really own THAT much stock?

heh, people sure seem to take pride in adding to Apple's coffers. As a user, there's no reason to boast or take pride in how much you paid in profit to the manufacturer :rolleyes:

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Some features that would be nice: reliable, retina, hdmi, more competitive pricing, future compatibility with Apple TV

Hdmi??? Thunderbolt / display port is way better. Do you mean as a second input?
Retina is quite impossible.

It would be nice to have a dedicated gfx card inside :) less expensive maybe and slimmer.

Anyway I will buy one for sure since I need a great display and a thunderbolt hub.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
How about a freaking dedicated graphics card inside the display? Make better use of that Thunderbolt potential.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
I really hope Apple will bring back a smaller display closer to the smaller iMac. I prefer two of those instead of one large display.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Surely these kinds of remarks are getting tiresome even for trolls. :rolleyes:

Disagreeing with something Apple do doesn't make me a troll, it just means I'm not a jump on every bandwagon fanboy who follows public opinion like a mindless sheep.

It doesn't take more than reading it once to see that I'm simply stating what they've done to the iMac happening to the display (removal of firewire and thinner). It's pretty obvious that's exactly what I was refering to really and as the monitor itself acts as a docking station for macbooks, removing connectivity is a bad move. Firewire is still VERY relevant to a lot of people and forcing them to buy a displayport to firewire adapter just to make £20 or so when they've already shelled out for an expensive screen isn't really convenient for anyone.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Eventually, we will all be saying "I can't believe I used to look at that crap all day long." The reality is that we could live with much more crappy displays, but once you acquire a taste for quality, it doesn't go away.

I've been noting that re: HDTV of late.
Watched a few "old" movies, circa 1990s. Big-budget high-quality for then visuals, which looked great on a good CRT & DVD of the time, but which look downright muddied when upscaled to a modest 42" HDTV. To wit, I can't believe I used to look at that crap (image quality, content a different story) and thought it was good.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
They already do make a Thunderbolt-less monitor. The 27" Cinema Display is still for sale, brand new, not refurbished.

The "Cinema Display" is not quite as good docking station posing as a monitor also. It also shares the inelegant dangling power cord issue.

The problem is that it's $999 as well for some reason, even though it's clearly cheaper to manufacture.

that is partially why it shares the same price. The other reason is that Apple hasn't really replaced it ( serving the non-Thuderbolt Display Port). If Apple doesn't replace/update a product they don't change the price. The 30" Display was relatively price constant for a very long while (along with no updates).

In it current form it is more so a statement that Apple's has abandoned the monitor market ( only sells docking stations with LCD panels built in). Apple could decide though to re-enter the monitor market. That would mean doing something that is primarily targeted at being a monitor.

If Apple isn't intending to kill off the Mini and Mac Pro over the long term then there is actually a place to have a monitor in the line up. They don't have to stray far from same subset of iMac panels or even offer both sizes, but coupling docking stations to more modular desktops isn't a match.

HDMI (handy from mini or TV) and a mini DisplayPort (handy from standards based video card edge) would be a far better and elegant match.

I agree that it should be cheaper. It looks like Apple is only selling it for Macs that don't have Thunderbolt, but they're sending the message that their plan is not to offer a cheaper display. I doubt they will update the Cinema Display.

As Apple exited the Printer business, it is far more indicative that Apple has exited the dedicated Display/monitor business, with no plans on returning. As long as the iMac consumes an ever higher fraction of their desktop offerings that is a relatively sound strategy. If the mini and Pro stage a reversal then it is flawed.

Anyone who is looking for a display that has high relative value shouldn't be looking at Apple. They exited that business. A while back.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
No, I think $700 would be a very reasonable price. It's really nice to have a dock and a 27" screen bundled into one, but the fact that it is only compatible with Thunderbolt Macs severely limits its utility.

I have a Lenovo D20 which I tested a current TB display on using one of the Quadro 4000 displayports. Worked fine. I replaced that TB display with an ASUS PB278Q which was $680, and have the TB connected again to a SB Mac Mini.

I also have a first generation TB (compatible) display running off of an older Gateway 6610/AMD FirePro 5800, again as a generic Displayport screen. It will be retired in favor of a Haswell Mac Mini running Parallels.

Last edited:

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
My bet is that they will have the same thin form factor as the new iMacs. Perhaps even thinner since all they need to fit are the ports. Other than that, I would say that's it. I highly doubt it will have a retina display. In fact, I'd bet good money that it won't have retina. Apple has a ways to go before introducing a 27" friggin retina display for mass production. Probably wont happen for a couple more years at best. So I'd stop holding your breath for either a retina imac or Cinema Display. Not ready for prime time people.

The only reason I didn't buy a new imac(even tho my old g5 iMac died) is that I am waiting for the Cinema Display updates. I am torn btwn the iMac or a Cinema Display plus mini/MacBook setup.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Hdmi??? Thunderbolt / display port is way better. Do you mean as a second input?
Retina is quite impossible.

It would be nice to have a dedicated gfx card inside :) less expensive maybe and slimmer.

Anyway I will buy one for sure since I need a great display and a thunderbolt hub.

Obviously I don't mean replace Thunderbolt with HDMI, but adding HDMI, like they did on the new Macbook Pros, would be nice. I have lots of HDMI cables, and seeing as they are far cheaper and provide equal quality, I want to utilize that functionality.

You're silly asking for a GPU included. Integrated graphics in modern laptops can sufficiently drive HD monitors. If you want to game, buy a suitable computer. Including a GPU would push up the price of the monitor at least a few hundred dollars.

MagnumOP

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
One thing I've never understood about this website.... and it never fails. On every thread, on every single product Apple makes, whether its a Thunderbolt cable or an outdated overpriced Mac Pro, there's always somebody on here arguing AGAINST getting a better deal on Apple products. Maybe their parents buy their stuff.... or they are just so rich that prices don't matter. Either way, I don't get it.

I think you are missing the point. The Apple Thunderbolt display is not expensive for what it is. A comparable monitor runs $550-$800, a thunderbolt hub runs $250-$350, an extra magsafe is $79, and you get the styling of an Apple product.

Usually when people say the price is not bad they do not mean that a discount would not be appreciated. $1000 for the Thunderbolt display is a reasonable price for what you are getting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.