Apple Time Capsule: a first look

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 20, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502

impierced

Any word on if older AirPort Extreme base stations with an external drives can act as a "Time Capsule"?

3. macrumors 68020

sunfast

Hopefully in 10.5.2

4. macrumors G5

nagromme

Supposedly network volumes can be used for Time Machine in 10.5.2:
    http://www.macscoop.com/articles/2008/01/20/mac-os-x-10-5-2-update-bring-endless-list-fixes

So I imagine that would include USB-attached drives on a Time Capsule or an Airport Extreme.

We should know soon.

By the way, I priced out Time Capsule alternatives (1TB server-grade drives connected by various means to WiFi n routers) and did some bargain-hunting to find nice discounts. Even so, alternatives came out to be around the same price as a Time Capsule without discounts. And nothing home-made is going to be quite as easy to administrate as AirPort/Time Capsule. I'm tempted.

5. macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

Cool thanks. Good to know. I'm definitely getting one.

6. macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I read that long list, and there was nothing from Apple specifically about network volumes and TM.

The article only describes rumours of "two new features which aren't listed here. The ability to share your optical drive with other computers and to use a networked volume as Time Machine backup device."

I'm sorry, I'll believe it when i see it listed in an official Apple dox.

7. macrumors P6

twoodcc

hopefully so.

it seemed that this article didn't really have a Time Capsule with them though. just going over what we already knew.

8. macrumors member

CalCanuck

AirTunes!

If this is more of a consumer targeted device then they should have added AirTunes audio out. Doesn't make sense for me to have an Airport Express and Time Capsule plugged in right next to each other -- guess I'll just wait another 6 months for rev 2 and see if they get it right.