Apple to Acquire Chip Designer P.A. Semi for $278 Million

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by shoulin333, Apr 22, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

2. macrumors 603

3. Guest

4. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Nothing new, Apple did this before in the past with ARM.

Edit: Looks to be another half billion dollar chip tech investment though.

5. macrumors newbie

"new future for Apple's flagship iPhone, and possibly iPod products as well. "

6. macrumors 6502a

7. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Apple to Acquire Chipmaker P.A. Semi for $278 Million

[​IMG]

Forbes reports that Apple has agreed to purchase chip manufacturer P.A. Semi for $278 million. The company, founded in 2003, focuses on sophisticated, low-power chips that could possibly used in future models of the iPhone.

Article Link

8. macrumors 6502a

NotFound

9. macrumors regular

Very interesting read. Macrumors never sleeps apparently. :D

10. macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Awesome.. this could mean a better product all around.

11. macrumors member

That's awesome. I wish I could just fast forward to June:rolleyes:

12. macrumors regular

a very interesting move for Apple to be taking. for the financial and business investments made, Apple must have a big plan for the future of products like the iphone.

13. macrumors 6502

Macintosh Sauce

This is a very interesting move by Apple IMO. That 2.0 GHz processor could be used in a Mac mini or even a Mac OS X-based PDA. :)

14. macrumors 68000

mcarnes

15. macrumors 6502

Ah, that would be the iPhone then?

16. macrumors 6502a

Vertical Integration is a good thing. Look it up.

17. macrumors regular

I'm all in favour of Apple acquiring essential technologies. They've got so much cash sitting around, investors want to see this used somehow. And look where some other technology went after they got in:

- Shake (due for total Final Cut Studio integration in 2009, or killer-app Stand-Alone-Product (code name "Phenomenon") - was 15,000 USD a seat - now 499 :) or "free" as part of simpler SmoothCam filter in Final Cut Pro
    - Logic - de factor industry leader (with Pro Tools having a good seat in the Movie/Soundtrack industry) need I say more
    - Color - a professional pre-Apple 25,000 USD grading application - now part of Final Cut Studio and it's fantastic

Granted, all of the above are software technologies, but still it is exciting to see they're out there hunting...

J.

18. macrumors 6502a

kresh

I wonder if this is a result of the small package C2D used in the MacBook Air? Apple went to Intel and requested the package. Apple created an awesome product and Intel started shopping the chip around to different PC manufacturers to cut Apple's throat after Apple proved that it was worth something.

19. macrumors regular

20. macrumors 6502a

This is a great news! P.A. Semi products are very interesting.

21. macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Maybe, but I bet Steve doesn't like having to upgrade the lappies so fast, an a schedule dictated by Intel, every time a processor has an upgrade.:rolleyes:
    loosing sales $$$ on the 2.2 ,and shipping them back and selling them as refurbs, just cus the 2.4 processors come out, IMHO;)

22. macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    another plausable reason, well done!;)

23. macrumors 6502

I just love how Apple keeps the whole industry on their toes, if you know what I mean. There's no telling what they'll so next.

24. macrumors 6502a

kresh

I remember when I read the article about Intel promoting the MacBook Air chip/package combo to PC manufacturers that Steve Jobs probably blew a fuse over it.

25. macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Hard to evaluate this maneuver. The idea of Apple buying a chip manufacturer isn't a clear win by any means - they don't have a great deal of institutional experience fabricating microprocessors and Apple's last attempt in the chip business over a decade ago didn't go well at all.

Maybe some more info of the acquired chip maker is in order?

EDIT: Okay, read the Forbes article. Apple must know something we don't about PA Semi. I'm guessing that PA Semi must have a plausible roadmap towards a powerful, energy efficient mobile chip that Apple believes will seriously outperform Intel's Atom and future ARM offerings from Marvell and their ilk.

Still not comfortable with Apple essentially making their own microprocessors, but it does make some sense.